Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrwatson
  • 1 Post By JustinMueller8810
  • 1 Post By natehoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Did Google put the N7 camera lens on the wrong side? My feeling is yes and here is why. First off, one of most useful features is Camera (my current HTC Flyer tablet has 1400 photos) and it is sure nice to look at screen directly when taking photos vs. trying to look from the side. I believe Skype video is a less frequently used (only done a few) feature and it is simple to stand/sit in front of a mirror when on a Skype call.

    I would recommend the N7 more frequently if camera usage was easier and more convenient and I teach smart device usage at weekly club meetings and at college workshops.

    If someone would develop a plastic periscope type device with 2 front surface mirrors that would clip over edge of N7 and allow camera to see forward would be a cheap solution. A special camera app may be required to flip image arround so up is up and so forth. Seems like this would work. Google, how about a N7FF version of N7?P (for Front Facing Camera or ffastffrank)

    What are your thoughts? The ElderTechTutor
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    a rear camera absolutely makes sense on a 7" device, especially since there are so many apps that utilize rear cameras. I don't need a front facing camera. I never use 'face time'--I fb/text/call/see the person in real life. I don't really take that many photos of my face. I think, however, there would be more outrage if they didn't have a front camera. I'm not advocating getting rid of the front camera, but I'd really like the option to pay a little extra for a rear camera.

    here are situations I came across where I wished it had a rear camera:
    -attaching a photo of something I want to remember to a note app, and annotating a note.
    -pdf "scanning" apps: my poor-*** state-funded university now charges $.10 a scan. I would much rather use a pdf scanning app. I spent a silly $3 the other day photocopying some articles (I didn't realize they charged now).
    -smart tools, just for kicks.
    -taking photos of your professor's haphazardly scribbled blackboard notes, for later deciphering at home
    -taking photos of people other than you
    -taking photos of food, if you do that
    -taking/uploading photos to instagram/fb/etc
    -fun apps like papercamera. got bored of papercamera'ing my face.

    a weak tablet camera isn't meant to replace a dSLR, it's meant to utilize the full capacity of apps. you can't even download some apps because of the lack of rear camera. it just adds another limitation to the device. I mean, a tablet is what any given user makes of it--some people would never use a rear camera, others would use it all the time. why set limits on something with so much potential?
    MJKearney likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    The n7 would be perfect with a rear camera. We might have to wait until next year. But the rumored Mac mini is supposed to have one so I may go that route.
  4. #4  
    Kevin OQuinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    9,477 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,688 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    FFC for G+ hangouts is awesome. Any rear mounted camera would be subpar. Do you not have a phone with a decent camera on it?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    FFC for G+ hangouts is awesome. Any rear mounted camera would be subpar. Do you not have a phone with a decent camera on it?
    Why subpar? And why recommend a phone? Makes no sense. The ipad 2 had one and the ipad 3 has a better one and the rumored mac mini is believed to have one. The n7 is a great almost pocket computer and to have a rear camera of at least 5 mp would be great. I use my ipad all the time to shoot photos. But its too big. The n7 would be perfect. It's clear from your response your not that interested in taking piix but more interested in social media. With a rear camera you can have the best of both worlds.
  6. #6  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    here are situations I came across where I wished it had a rear camera:
    -attaching a photo of something I want to remember to a note app, and annotating a note.
    -pdf "scanning" apps: my poor-*** state-funded university now charges $.10 a scan. I would much rather use a pdf scanning app. I spent a silly $3 the other day photocopying some articles (I didn't realize they charged now).
    -smart tools, just for kicks.
    -taking photos of your professor's haphazardly scribbled blackboard notes, for later deciphering at home
    -taking photos of people other than you
    -taking photos of food, if you do that
    -taking/uploading photos to instagram/fb/etc
    -fun apps like papercamera. got bored of papercamera'ing my face.

    a weak tablet camera isn't meant to replace a dSLR, it's meant to utilize the full capacity of apps. you can't even download some apps because of the lack of rear camera. it just adds another limitation to the device. I mean, a tablet is what any given user makes of it--some people would never use a rear camera, others would use it all the time. why set limits on something with so much potential?
    I agree with you 100%. Just the lack of rear camera means that a lot of simple apps say "incompatible" and won't even download or install on the N7! Its silly.

    It doesn't cost much at all to put in a 5-8 MP rear camera. Hell, the spot and ports for a rear camera are already present inside the N7, lol!

    I would love to see a mod that puts in a rear camera in and cuts a little hole for it in the back cover. I'd ship my N7 away and pay for that mod!

    The N7 is the perfect sized tablet for taking photos, not just of yourself, lol. It should have come with a rear camera option for a few more bucks. I would have bought it.

    I really hope the next Nexus 7" tablet comes with a rear (and front too) facing camera. It would be the perfect tablet for me.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    I would love, to have a periscope type thing, or perhaps a detachable camera?

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    The only reason I could see Google not putting a rear camera on the N7 is because they want to come out with a more expensive device that has one, and want you to pay for it.

    Personally, I have absolutely no need for a camera. I take my N7 with me often, but not always. However, I ALWAYS have my phone with me (currently an iPhone 4S) which has a camera. The same thing goes for music, I didn't put any on the N7 because I have gigs of music on my phone.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    I have 3 other devices that take photos, but 7" display is preferred over all of them and I carry it with me in a front pocket all the time. My. iPad is to big to carry around and iPhone display is to small when sharing with friends.

    I have been looking for a 180 degree mirrored prizim for reasonable price.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    FFC for G+ hangouts is awesome. Any rear mounted camera would be subpar. Do you not have a phone with a decent camera on it?
    like I said, the whole point of a rear camera isn't to take pics for craps and giggles or replace a dSLR--because obviously the image quality would be 'subpar'--the whole point is to utilize apps on the N7.

    I much prefer the larger screen for viewing the pictures, especially if I could use one of those pic-to-PDF 'scanning' apps. or if I'm taking notes with the N7 and I want to directly attach a snapshot. my phone has a 5MP camera on it, but not only is it not a smartphone, it's not an android device so I couldn't use android apps on it. the same could be said about FFC on a phone--why the tablet instead?
  11. #11  
    henywatty's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Has anyone here considered purchasing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2? If you're so keen on having a 7 inch device with a rear camera, this is where to go. (Of course overall the Nexus 7 is much better).

    Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
  12. #12  
    TankMech's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Carrier
    CM10.2nightlys/3.4.60-CM

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Idk really, my HTC thunderbolt has a in 8 megapixel camera, and always with me. Sure it would be nice for some apps but I don't see myself Busting out the tablet just to use those few apps. My phone has em and is more handy for them. I love the n7 as is, but just my opinion. Once I take over my wife's sgs3 when she gets the note 2 I'll have another nice camera for photos. I only bring my tablet for certain functions, games videos and what not, thethering from my phone for internet browsing and Netflix.


    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    A rear-facing camera would be nice, but not a must, especially if the image quality is as bad ad the front-facing camera on the N7.

    Just for the heck of it, I've tried using the front-facing camera using Camera Launcher. It's so awkward and you're lucky if you can even frame a shot adequately.

    As an FYI, you can access the camera with the PicsArt app and use it to take still images. The main advantage over Camera Launcher is that it has a built-in self-timer (up to 30 seconds). Using the self-timer would give you time to better steady the tablet and frame a shot.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    I happen to like the low price of the Nexus 7 because of the lack of rear cam. I can make-do with the front only camera.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Mechinikel likes this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ffastffrank View Post
    I have 3 other devices that take photos, but 7" display is preferred over all of them and I carry it with me in a front pocket all the time. My. iPad is to big to carry around and iPhone display is to small when sharing with friends.
    If you need to show pictures to other people so often with a device that you carry with you, it may be prudent to buy a higher end tablet that includes a camera. Or, find a way to share the pictures from your phone to your tablet this way you can take them with the high res camera in your phone and then have them load onto the tablet. I know that Apple devices allow you to do this with the cloud so I assume there must be ways to do it with Android.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    I happen to like the low price of the Nexus 7 because of the lack of rear cam. I can make-do with the front only camera.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    A rear camera would add a few cents to the manufacturing costs. Apple didnt even raise the price of the ipad when it add a rear camera in the ipad 2 or a higher res camera in thei ipad3 so you are wrong about price.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Why on earth would you NOT want a rear camera as part of an n7 package. Sheesh!
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    A rear camera would add a few cents to the manufacturing costs. Apple didnt even raise the price of the ipad when it add a rear camera in the ipad 2 or a higher res camera in thei ipad3 so you are wrong about price.
    Nah you are wrong. A camera cost $$$

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    A rear camera would add a few cents to the manufacturing costs. Apple didnt even raise the price of the ipad when it add a rear camera in the ipad 2 or a higher res camera in thei ipad3 so you are wrong about price.
    No, he IS right. It would raise the cost, even if only by a small amount.

    As I mentioned earlier, not including a camera is normal business tactic when a higher priced model may come out in the future.

    Have you ever noticed that newer cars won't have some small and inexpensive features (such as a USB or MP3 player input for the stereo) on the lowest models? It actually costs the manufacturers MORE money to make a second stereo system without the input, but they do it because these little tiny features are what push people into buying the higher trim packages.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    Why on earth would you NOT want a rear camera as part of an n7 package. Sheesh!
    Because it's a waste of money for me, I would never use it. I like the Nexus 7 just the way it is and I am glad that they didn't put all kinds of bells and whistles on it that would drive up the price.
  21. #21  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    2,290 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by ffastffrank View Post
    Did Google put the N7 camera lens on the wrong side? My feeling is yes and here is why.
    My feeling is no, simply because I already have a Thunderbolt with a nice camera that I actually carry around with me for quick snapshots, and with G+ integration I can view the photos almost instantly on my Nexus Seven (or anywhere else).

    And I already have a shock-and-waterproof Lumix I carry around for events where I'm going to take a lot of photos or I'm expecting to have to do photography under electronic-unfriendly conditions (in the rain, or out on the ocean in my kayak). My Lumix can be easily operated with one hand, has a much faster shutter and recovery time than a phone-based camera, and has all sorts of features (rapid-fire, macro zoom, multifocus, image stabilization, 5-second battery replacement, quick-change SD cards, etc) that you simply won't find on a heavier, more-delicate tablet or phone.

    The Lumix lacks Geolocation (older model, but it also means better battery life so it's a tradeoff I might not have made anyway), but there are times when I take my actual shots with the Lumix then take a quick snap of my Thunderbolt's screen with the GPS running so I have a crude location reference for the set.

    For a camera, I really lust after a good DSLR. I loved my Rebel G (35mm) back when I carried it, but I lack the funds to go DSLR anytime soon.

    But my use case is different from yours, my Nexus rarely leaves my house but my phone is on a holster on my belt all the time. So I already have a perfectly good camera with me that would be easier to use (and has more internal memory) than the Nexus 7, and I have an actual camera for serious camera work.

    I do dislike the fact that augmented reality apps don't work on the N7 and I really wish they had at least stubbed out the camera API to show a blank image or something for more app compatibility, but that's obviously not a deal-breaker since I bought the thing knowing that.

    Would I LIKE to have a rear-facing camera on my Nexus? Sure. If it didn't drive the price point up. But I'm not going to use it a lot because standing there holding a 7" tablet over my head like a billboard to take photos is not only tiring, it looks stupid, and a lot of the events are outdoors - that place that features inconvenient things like rain and an increased possibility of drops. Into mud.

    I'll be frank - I chose the Nexus 7 because it had the features I really wanted, at a price point I could afford. If I had REALLY wanted a 7" tablet with more features like an SD slot and a rear-facing camera, I'd be sporting a Galaxy Tab or something similar, and I'd have gladly paid the price difference to get those features. What I REALLY wanted was a functional at-home tablet for video conferencing, web surfing, gaming, a little note-taking, email, etc. And for $250 (I hedged my bets on storage), I'm very happy with what I got.

    Would I have paid $300 for the same rig with an 8mpix camera on the back? No.

    Would I have paid $275? Sure.
  22. #22  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    2,290 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    A rear camera would add a few cents to the manufacturing costs. Apple didnt even raise the price of the ipad when it add a rear camera in the ipad 2 or a higher res camera in thei ipad3 so you are wrong about price.
    Even 8 megapixel camera modules cost a lot more than a few cents. Replacement modules are closer to $25 wholesale - and that's just for the module. Then, of course, you're going to have a whole bunch of people carping immediately about the 8 or 16GB memory and "how can you include a high-res camera with nowhere to put the photos!?!?!" So then you're looking at an SD slot, and ... guess what ... if you wanted all that you could have just bought a Galaxy Tab. Google wanted high-performing hardware on a device that was very affordable, to get Google fondleslabs in the hands of as many as possible. They didn't want to build the biggest, meanest, beastliest, costliest tablet out there, and if they had I would not own one. They made some serious design compromises to make something that is a megabeast when it comes to performance, but is still one of the cheapest tablets in the market (excluding Pandigital and other super-cheapo offerings).

    Apple didn't raise the price when they added the camera on the iPad 2 because the cost of some of the other components came down, and they were able to add a camera and still make their required margin while sticking to the price they had gotten their customers used to for the "latest iPad", and they've added even more features to the iPad 3 and still maintained the same price point. It doesn't mean the camera was free or nearly free to them, the lowering cost of some other components made room in the cost to add a (now) $25 camera module. Plus, when the iPad 1 came out, 8mpix camera modules were a lot more than $25.
    Mechinikel likes this.
  23. #23  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    2,290 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechinikel View Post
    If you need to show pictures to other people so often with a device that you carry with you, it may be prudent to buy a higher end tablet that includes a camera. Or, find a way to share the pictures from your phone to your tablet this way you can take them with the high res camera in your phone and then have them load onto the tablet. I know that Apple devices allow you to do this with the cloud so I assume there must be ways to do it with Android.
    Yes. I do this with mine.

    Install the Google+ app on both your phone and tablet. On the phone, tell it to upload all of your pictures to G+ Instant Upload immediately. Take your picture on the phone, wait sufficient time for it to upload (if you have WiFi available, it's pretty darned quick), open the gallery on your tablet, voila'!, there it is,

    Of course, you can also autoupload using Box, DropBox, Flickr, Photosync, Shutterfly, or any one of a hundred cloud storage or cloud-based album sites that all have Android applications, most of them free.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Mechinikel View Post
    If you need to show pictures to other people so often with a device that you carry with you, it may be prudent to buy a higher end tablet that includes a camera. Or, find a way to share the pictures from your phone to your tablet this way you can take them with the high res camera in your phone and then have them load onto the tablet. I know that Apple devices allow you to do this with the cloud so I assume there must be ways to do it with Android.
    I have HTC Flyer 7" tablet, but purchased 3 N7's for family members and they miss not having easy to use camera. My EVO 4G has 8mp and I have transfered pics, but it is a hassle. Since I teach this stuff to a lot of folks, I like N7, but it is hard to recommend without good camera. Also, grandchildren, operate from WiFi Only, so NFC is nice for transfer.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 Camera Discussion

    My dreams have been answered by ACER's version of N7 for $229. This sounds like one I can recommend. Found discussion on Tab Times email.

    Also has HDMI and SD. See Tab Times

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus camera stand?
    By fminusfminus in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 08:10 PM
  2. Galaxy Nexus Camera App and Wallpaper problems
    By icanectc in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
  3. Galaxy Nexus Camera App and Wallpaper problems
    By icanectc in forum Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM
  4. G-Nexus "Camera" Folder Vanished - and Took my Pics with it
    By reMarkable#AC in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM
  5. How does the Nexus camera compare to the Samsung Galaxy?
    By BlackBarryNewb in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions