Forced 4.1.2 OTA update keeps failing - help?!

JonChalk

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys - if I force an OTA by clearing the Google Framework Service data cache / reboot then I get the update, but on attempting install it, I get about 20% along the progress bar (with spinning blue multi-faceted shape) before my little droid guy falls on his back with a red warning triangle on his stomach. It then reboots back to 4.1.1 working just fine.
It's a completely stock 7, no root, no mods.

Any advice much appreciated.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Same for me bat is full I'm rooted but not flashed any ROMs

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure - about 50% showing. Is there a minimum level for the update to work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

In order for the update to work successfully, I recommend having at least 90% battery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

cbalter

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Had to hard reset my nexus because was getting failed updates in the play store. As soon as hard reset was finished the OTA came through. Had been checking twice daily since the update was announced.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JonChalk

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hard reset and still no luck updating - little dead droid with a red warning triangle still.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Going to have a tinker with mine soon see if I can sort this:banghead:

Sent from my HTC Vision using Android Central Forums

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you have to reset every time you clear. I just went to clear data then system update and refreshed and continued the cycle until i got mine. Might save you some time in checking for update.

myl0tt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have ended up flashing the stock 4.1.2 image from Google developers web site so lost my root but easily done again

JonChalk

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Tried flashing manually, not working for me, mainly because I can't seem to get into Recovery mode. Can get into fast boot & select Recovery mode, but then it just freezes on a black screen with white Google logo & small unlocked padlock.

Anyone know what his means? Have I done something wrong?

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I didn't force mine it was just one morning available for download, the battery was around 30% and I got it with no problem.

I suggest trying again at another location using a different WiFi

Sent from planet earth

tothjj

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys - if I force an OTA by clearing the Google Framework Service data cache / reboot then I get the update, but on attempting install it, I get about 20% along the progress bar (with spinning blue multi-faceted shape) before my little droid guy falls on his back with a red warning triangle on his stomach. It then reboots back to 4.1.1 working just fine.

I had the same problem. However my Nexus 7 was unlocked and rooted. I spent two days trying to figure this out. I was able to force the update by clearing the framework cache but it would always fail about a third of the way. Then I tried using Team Win Recovery to update and it also failed but now it showed where it failed. Apparently, the changes I made to build.prop file using ROM Toolbox to change the screen resolution was not taken kindly to by the update. I was able to restore the original backed up file (using ROM Toolbox) and the update finally worked. However, I could not get app updates from Google play after the update. I removed my Google account then re-entered it; now all is good. I was also able to restore root access using Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (use this before you update so you can recover root access on a rooted device.)

ceefercat

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I have this exact same problem.

Over the space of the last 3 weeks I have made numerous attempts to update my Nexus 7 from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, via the OTA update. The update process always fails, with 'little droid guy falling on his back with a red warning triangle on his stomach'.

Surely there's a solution to this problem?

I've also tried using Nexus 7 ToolKit to unlock and root the tablet but this also fails.