Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's on the Playground?

What are your guesses for Google's Oct 29 announcement? Here are mine:

1) A new 32GB Nexus 7. Lowered price points for 8GB and 16GB models. Potentially phasing out the 8GB model.
    2) A new 32GB and 64GB Nexus 10. Landscape design with HDMI output, stereo speakers on each side.
    3) Nexus 7 and 10 Docking Stations.
    4) Revised/improved Nexus Q. Software security measures, and a practical price point.

I don't believe an SD card slot or 4G cellular ability as an option - certainly for the 7 inch models. I do think it's possible a mini-HDMI port might be an option on the Nexus 10.

I also think for the Nexus 7 models we won't see redesigned cases, so existing physical accessories should work for them.
    --- NICK ---

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Default Re: What's on the Playground?

I'm guessing that the new Nexus phone will be announced as well. It's time for that one.
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by svfd757 View Post
    I'm guessing that the new Nexus phone will be announced as well. It's time for that one.
    That's a good point. They've been in that market with Samsung's Galaxy Nexus in that product space. They are probably going to announce something like a Nexus 5 / 7 / 10 at a minimum, I think.
    --- NICK ---

Nexus phone or phones. Android 4.2. 32gb nexus 7 price drop on others. New play store features. Nexus Q info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by GiantJay; 10-18-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFromHouston View Post
    That's a good point. They've been in that market with Samsung's Galaxy Nexus in that product space. They are probably going to announce something like a Nexus 5 / 7 / 10 at a minimum, I think.
    How can you forget the phone?? I think this event is mainly for the phone.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

A new version of Android.
    The LG Nexus 4/Optimus Nexus.
    The 32GB Nexus 7.
    A cellular data-capable Nexus 7.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

What are your guesses for Google's Oct 29 announcement? Here are mine:

1) A new 32GB Nexus 7. Lowered price points for 8GB and 16GB models. Potentially phasing out the 8GB model.
    If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage.

Another possible market move, which I think is unlikely considering the pics of the 32GB model in inventory systems floating around, is replace the 16GB model with a Nexus 7 that has 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot for people to add additional storage themselves.

I would like to see a docking station with HDMI. I don't know if I would buy it, but if I wanted to output to a big screen TV, the bulk of a dock is no big deal. However, until content providers stop discriminating against Android devices...
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornRancher View Post
    If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage.

Another possible market move, which I think is unlikely considering the pics of the 32GB model in inventory systems floating around, is replace the 16GB model with a Nexus 7 that has 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot for people to add additional storage themselves.

I would like to see a docking station with HDMI. I don't know if I would buy it, but if I wanted to output to a big screen TV, the bulk of a dock is no big deal. However, until content providers stop discriminating against Android devices...
    External storage is against Google thinking and policy.

Dropped by Felix from 24 Miles above the Earth
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry and G3TCASHM0N3Y like this.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I seriously doubt they will announce the next version of android already. If JellyBean were tablet only, like honeycomb was, I would tend to agree that they would release the nest OS. But, because JB is for phones as well as tablets, it will be a while before we see the next version. But, I am only assuming that they won't release 3 versions in just under a year.
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Last I heard 4.2 is keeping the jellybean name just a thought but they might announce the next version as all it is is enhancements not a completely new version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornRancher View Post
    If they retire a model, I think it will be the 16GB. That would leave them with a product line that includes a base model for people who embrace Google's cloud paradigm, plus the 32GB model for people who want more storage. Another possible market move. . 8GB built-in plus a micro-SD slot.
    Pretty sure the 16 GB will be phased out. Assuming the 32GB will be priced at ~$250, their only options are:
    1. keep 8GB at $199, making 16GB $220. If so, the 16GB wouldn't sell well, since people willing to upgrade for $20, would probably want to double their storage for only $30 extra.
    2. make the 16GB only $199, and have the 32GB at $250
    3. keep 8GB at $199, phase out 16GB.

although I'd like to see one, I doubt they'd have model with a micro-SD slot, even if it were priced the same as the 32GB. I mean, you can get 32GB microSD cards for like, 15 bucks a pop now.

I guess there is an upside to only having 16GB, that you're the only one with the limited storage and you have a cool discontinued product. That's if the rumors are true.
    morjoie likes this.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

This is what I think:

It's obvious they are going to release a new Nexus phone, as there was an official post saying the Galaxy Nexus would be getting "little brother(s)". Notice the "(s)", which may hint the release of multiple Nexus phones.
    They are also most likely going to introduce a 32GB Nexus 7.
    It is possible that they will release a new Android update, although it would probably be a minor update.
    Other minor things.

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I hope to see a few new phones as well as the bigger capacity Nexus 7. I think, as others have stated, that the Nexus Q will make an appearance as well. I just find it hard to beleive that Google will announce another OS this soon after 4.1.2 was announced.

If they go to 4.2 it will be called something else. That's a big jump from a developers view.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I can't imagine them phasing out a 16GB model and leaving a 8GB model. I mean, let's be honest, the biggest Android-based competitor to the Nexus line is the Kindle Fire HD and they have 16GB and 32GB models. I don't think SD cards are in the mix for either tablet model, given the direction Google is going.

And yeah, I wasn't even thinking about cellphones above at the time, but after I made the first post I thought of it, but was too tired to load the site back up and edit it - it was midnight and I hadda wake up at 5:30am to get to work.
    --- NICK ---

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

If they release the 32 gig version, it will have to be priced at $299. Not sure it would be worth it since we have access the cloud.... I am interested in seeing if they are going to announce a 3g/4g version for carriers... This would be an improvement
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GiantJay View Post
    If they go to 4.2 it will be called something else. That's a big jump from a developers view.

Look up Android Eclair.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

CardcaptorRLH85 likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

If they release the 32 gig version, it will have to be priced at $299.
    Says who?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Why would they price it any lower? If they went lower, they would most certainly have to discontinue the 16 gig version. Then they would have an 8 gig and a 32 gig version. That represents a huge gap in levels. Unless they completely rethink their pricing on the current models, they will release the 32 gig at $299

Why would they price it any lower? If they went lower, they would most certainly have to discontinue the 16 gig version. Then they would have an 8 gig and a 32 gig version. That represents a huge gap in levels. Unless they completely rethink their pricing on the current models, they will release the 32 gig at $299
    It is not beyond reasoning for them to discontinue the 16 gig model and introduce the 32 gig at the same price point

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by masterpfa View Post
    It is not beyond reasoning for them to discontinue the 16 gig model and introduce the 32 gig at the same price point
    I guess. But I can't see such a big gap in models. I can see them discontinuing the 8 gig and dropping the price of the 16 gi

ROM
    Jelly Bean 4.1.2..

What are your guesses for Google's Oct 29 announcement?

My thoughts/hope they'll announce the Nexus LG. They will drop the 8gig Nexus 7, drop the price of the 16gig Nexus 7 to $199. They will announce the 32gig Nexus 7 and announce the Nexus 10 tablet from Samsung..Hopefully bring back the Nexus Q with enhancements and price drop on the Q.
    Smartphone curious but not smartphone smart..

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Quote Originally Posted by GQ50 View Post
    My thoughts/hope they'll announce the Nexus LG. They will drop the 8gig Nexus 7, drop the price of the 16gig Nexus 7 to $199. They will announce the 32gig Nexus 7 and announce the Nexus 10 tablet from Samsung..Hopefully bring back the Nexus Q with enhancements and price drop on the Q.
    I would be interested in a Q if they drop the price. It's a cool Idea

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    It's obvious they are going to release a new Nexus phone, as there was an official post saying the Galaxy Nexus would be getting "little brother(s)". Notice the "(s)", which may hint the release of multiple Nexus phones.
    Where did you see/hear this?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it. Very interesting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast