1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Default Acer A110 or Nexus 7 help

Until today I was waiting in anticipation of the Nexus 7 32GB, but just heard Acer are releasing the A110 7" tablet on 30th of October. It is specified as having a MiscoSD card slot, MICRO USB, MICRO HDMI 8GB on board, and with the all important Tegra 3.

Help me, what to do.? What will have better build quality?, support and be thinner in size?

Discuss

Sent
    from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Acer A110 or Nexus 7 help

Tablet market is like PC market was 25 years ago, products obsolete within a year.
    That said buy what meets your needs now. I see the A110 (like the Kindle Fire) doesn't have GPS which I have found is a must have for me.
    Compare the specs side by side. I am delighted with my N7.

it comes with ICS? and probably get JB

this has 8Gb memory and even if you add 16Gb SD card it would still come to 24 Gb. Nexus 7 has 32 Gb down right

ignore Micro USB which is there in Nexus too. so All you get is Micro HDMI.

have you heard of dlna?? i mostly stream my phones content wireless to my TV and ps3 without a HDMI cable.
    Thanked by:

Screen resolution/DPI is better on the Nexus 7 for one; 1280x800 vs 1024x600. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall screen quality is also better in terms of glare/brightness etc, but that remains to be seen. The lower screen resolution alone is a deal-breaker for me.

The thought of external storage and connectivity options is definitely tempting, but I used to have an Acer A500 and I found its HDMI output a bit shoddy. With 3 different cables/adapters, I frequently had to play with the connection to maintain a signal to my TV. That could just have been my unit, and likely was, but over the years I've had several issues with Acer products, and very few with those from Asus. Again, not to say that Acer is overall poor quality, but I tend to stay loyal to products whose quality I've had consistently good experiences with.

That said, I don't even own a Nexus 7 yet, still running a Transformer Prime, but am looking to pick up a 32GB model when it comes out. Been playing with the GF's, and it's awesome.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    it comes with ICS? and probably get JB

this has 8Gb memory and even if you add 16Gb SD card it would still come to 24 Gb. Nexus 7 has 32 Gb down right

ignore Micro USB which is there in Nexus too. so All you get is Micro HDMI.

have you heard of dlna?? i mostly stream my phones content wireless to my TV and ps3 without a HDMI cable.
    It comes with JB. I saw it on Amazon. It can be pre ordered right now for $229. I too was thinking about buying 1 because the screen res isn't a deal breaker to me. I can't see myself trying to watch a full length movie on a 7" display. I would like it for general web surfing and email though. The micro SD is a plus too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Asus > Acer
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts

Does anyone know if I can connect the Nexus 7 to my TV via a MHL adapter?

And

Do I have to root the Nexus 7 to use OTG usb?

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EN4CER View Post
    Does anyone know if I can connect the Nexus 7 to my TV via a MHL adapter?
    Nope.

And

Do I have to root the Nexus 7 to use OTG usb?

Many thanks
    Depends what you want OTG for. Gamepads, keyboards and mice will work without rooting. For usb sticks, there is an app that enables read-only access without root, but if you want to write to them you'll need to root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I can't find if the A110 will support OTG. Anybody?