What is your favorite Remote Desktop App???

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
It seems like the big 3 are Splashtop, TeamViewer, and Pocket Cloud. Which one do you prefer on your Nexus 7 and why? Can anybody compare/contrast all 3 of them?

right now I'm using Pocket Cloud and that seems to work well enough. Slightly laggy...can't get it to go full screen on the Nexus...could be better but it allows me to access my home computer quickly and easily. I'm open to trying the others but wanted to hear some opinions first. Thanks!

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't remote often, but Splashtop is pretty damn good. Supposedly with Splashtop 2, you can even play full fledged PC games such as BF3 and Skyrim. Control on the other hand maybe questionable, but their demo video's are crazy.

Splashtop is paid while Splashtop 2 is free, except only over LAN. If you need to remote in from out of the network, then you need to pay a monthly fee, which completely sucks.
Splashtop 1 is all inclusive since you pay for the app, but it's being left in the dust for SP2. It's still not bad at all. I haven't used any of the other apps you listed. I got Splashtop for free from amazon way in the past and been satisfied with what it does.

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
hm ok, maybe i'll give Splashtop 1 a try. i'm not trying to pay a monthly fee for splashtop 2....

does Splashtop go full screen on the Nexus? That's my biggest complaint about PocketCloud. Does anybody who uses pocket cloud know how to make it go full screen on the tablet?

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
does Splashtop go full screen on the Nexus?

Splashtop can go full screen on the N7, which includes zooming in and out. I don't use it often, so I'm not sure how you get it to scale otherwise to fit native but these are some screen shots that I took. I do have to say I run 2560 x 1440 resolution on my desktop so I believe it carries over. Just FYI, you do have to run software on the PC/Laptop you are trying to connect to. That is free though.

Zoomed out - non full screen

screenshot2012101911111.png

Zoomed in - Full Screen

screenshot2012101911113.png

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I used Remote Desktop Client by Xtralogic with their 30 day, fully functional, trial period. It worked very well on my Nexus 7.

Setup and connection was simple using the Xtralogic software you setup on your computer. I set the resolution to automatic, if I remember correctly, and it nicely filled the entire screen of my N7. Navigation using my finger as an offset mouse also worked well. You can set the keyboard to pop up automatically or manually when in an input field. I preferred enabling it manually. Keep in mind that my experience was using it on my local WiFi network, so I was satisfied by the speed. I'm sure it and other similar apps are much slower over an internet connection.

The only reason I didn't buy it after the trial ended was because I really didn't need it since I use my Nexus 7 only at home where my computer is located. I couldn't justify the $15 that the app costs. When I have a need, I'll probably buy this one, but maybe I'll test a couple others first.

Oh, I also tried PocketCloud. It worked well enough, but the mouse control wasn't my favorite, and it somehow messed up the audio driver on my Vista computer. I did a restore to get it back, but maybe a restart would have worked. Either way, it kind of turned me off of PocketCloud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I didn't buy it after the trial ended was because I really didn't need it since I use my Nexus 7 only at home where my computer is located. I couldn't justify the $15 that the app costs. When I have a need, I'll probably buy this one, but maybe I'll test a couple others first.

I too only require this type of thing at home so my requirements are different than most people in this thread. I use the free ultravnc server on my windows 7 machine and the equally free androidvnc app on my N7. Works great!

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I too only require this type of thing at home so my requirements are different than most people in this thread. I use the free ultravnc server on my windows 7 machine and the equally free androidvnc app on my N7. Works great!

Yeah, if I didn't get the original splashtop for free, I wouldn't have paid the $10-$15 for it. If I do remote at home, it's normally from laptop to pc, hardly from tablet to pc. Some rare instances would be if I was listening to Pandora and am somewhere else in the house and have my tablet/phone with me. Either I need to continue the time out since I don't use Pandora one, or I just want to turn it off. WoL, remote and done. Not sure if the other remote android programs are like this, but there can be no direct file transfer on Splashtop, so it's useless in that point, though I would have to file > dropbox.

Ward510

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried using Splashtop but got a bit of a scare as it seemed to be accessing a lot of stuff on my pc without action by me. At one stage there were about six different applications open - it even opened up a previous web page I'd visited. I also had a heck of a job trying to uninstal it from my pc and that makes me very suspicious.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I used the free version splash top 2 HD and I really liked it. There is no lag as compared with team viewer. The only problem is that it's free if you access your devices on the same network but if you're trying to access your home pc from work its like 20 bucks a year. I don't use remote access so I couldn't justify the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I tried using Splashtop but got a bit of a scare as it seemed to be accessing a lot of stuff on my pc without action by me. At one stage there were about six different applications open - it even opened up a previous web page I'd visited. I also had a heck of a job trying to uninstal it from my pc and that makes me very suspicious.

Not sure where you got your Splashtop from.. mine doesn't do that, however it will mirror the image you are doing on your tablet and show on your PC monitor/laptop.

twentytrump

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys for being so naieve but are you talking about using your phones as wireless keyboards and mouse to run your pc remotely like Gmote etc? If yes then suggest something to me too. My Gmote mouse gets stuck whenever i reach the border of the screen. I searched a lot for such an app as i have connected my laptop to my pc and i use wireless keyboard and mouse. They are bulky and take a lot of space of my bed. Gmote has constant bugs. I just use wifi and dont need any other option and i use jelly bean on my sgs3. Please help

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally use Splashtop 2 which is nice and smooth. It also has a few nice features and its free so you might as well try it!

Sent from my Nexus 7

twentytrump

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Bro i just need a wireless remote and keyboard to surf my PC which is connected to my large screen HD tv. I dont need any file managing or cloud functionality. Just a plane simple mouse and a keyboard. Last time I checked there were a few sucker apps and out of which just Gmote worked and that too is very defective mouse pointer gets stuck everytime i go to the corner of the screen. It uses a server on the PC and an app on my phone which converts the touch screen into kb&mouse

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463