Google Nexus 7 battery Problems!

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Switch 3G tablets to airplane mode and see how standby time improved ;)
The one which drains battery extremely fast - its software issue. Some app causes this. Tablet doesn't go to deep sleep. Try to pinpoint it.
I know, it's a little late with advises, but still...

Of course turning on airplane mode helps but whats the point in that? There are so many days when I barely picked up my Nexus 7 and screen time says maybe 12 minutes and after 15 hours standby, it has maybe 30-40% battery left.

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Tried the airplane mode . Wi-Fi off mobile data off. Today it has lost 73 % in 10 hours 9.5 in standby by and half an hour checking settings. I thought 4.3 was going to solve it. the other 3G nexus will now keep its charge lost 3% in 19 hours of standby in airplane mode before 4.3 it was draining as fast as mine. I downloaded hidden menu app and tried test this shows usage and up time but nothing out of the ordinary. it would seem whatever is draining the battery does not show up. Spoke to tech guys in pc world he had not heard of issues with the battery drain on nexus but suggested it was the radio i.e sim (not radio 1). Hidden menu app has a radio off function which appears to work.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 7 didn't get used at all last night although I had it with me. When I got home, I turned it on and after eight hours, the battery was down to 60%. Something called glgps was at the tope of the list using 51 minutes of the CPU and 13% on the usage list. Never saw this before.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
there IS an answer
$329 and worth every penny. iPad mini - Buy iPad mini with Free Shipping - Apple Store (U.S.)
sold the nex 7 bought this, never looked back
for android, my galaxy note is "just perfect"

with me, the mini goes about 3 days on batt, very consistently. fast reliable wifi connection, and top-notch audio/sound

This post is the best thing I have read all morning and it IS the truth. Nothing tops the battery life on my mini. If I had bought a mini before I bought a Nexus 7, I would not be the owner of a Nexus 7 today.

Mir Danish Adnan

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Need Help on CHARGING
My Nexus7 isnt charging ...What can i do now???....plus my charger is fine ,i charged my celfone from nexus7 charger ...but my nexus7 aint charging what can i do???

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Latest attempt, Removed sim, factory reset, set up email to get minimum apps, disabled any running app I could, charged battery to 100 %. Installed A1cpu monitor, pressed power button briefly let it go to sleep (not power off) 8 hrs 25mins later battery at 50% A1 CPU tool shows 8hrs 21mins in deep sleep .Tablet idle 8 hours 20min. Usage tablet idle 70% screen used 17% media 5% Android system 3% android os 3% A1 CPU tool 2%. if CPU shows in deep sleep for 99.1% of the time where is the power going ? another nexus 7 we have shows Battery 57% left it has been in sleep for 6D1H6M1S ,wifi left on no airplane mode.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
"Idle" doesn't eat battery (at least significantly).
It looks like hardware issue (battery or circuitry). :(
With the stats you described it should've lasted a week... Not 8 hours.

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Well today I packed it up and shipped it back to Asus (still under warranty) before sending back I decided to do a factory reset to erase data. It would not switch on ,after 24 hours charge even with the power and volume trick it would not start. The problems have somewhat spoilt the enjoyment of the product. Bought a cheap Lenovo tablet ?99.99 not as good but no battery issues.

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Shipped the nexus back to ASUS, got to say good service turning it round. Pity they did not cure the problem the repair sheet says\battery replaced but it still drains the battery in 10 hours in sleep mode. Got another RMA to return it apparently they will only consider replacing unit after three failed repairs. A strange thing is that when it was sent it was JB4.3 when it came back it was JB4.1.2 The case and screen are mine just wonder if they have swapped the board etc for and old board.

PaperBoy120

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask, do you have these things Enabled or Disabled. If not I think you should try, and this wont do any harm to your device. Just avoid disabling anything else. Don't make the Noob mistakes I made in the past.

Currents
This is always running in the background, I've found just Disabling this can make a huge difference

Google Play Services
This one is like the Centre piece for Youtube and Hangouts, probably some other things too, but I don't use them. And it will only ask you to enable it, if disabled when you start the other apps.

Google Play Store
I've often found this to be a pain, I only go on there to search for an App or Game, some times I skip it and try other places. Because you use it once and it stays there for a while.

Google+
I am not entirely sure what this one does, but it hasn't bothered me since I disabled it. So I guess I don't use whatever it does.

With only these 4 (annoyances) Disabled, I've managed to make my N7 last very closely to 2 days. That's 48 hours of enjoyment.

Oh and I did this on 4.3, it works just as well for 4.2.2, but I can't say much more, never got around to trying the previous versions.

Last edited:

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Got my N7 back Thursday, charged it to 100 per cent Thursday night about 11 PM, switched off WIFI to stop 4.3 upgrade. Friday AM 99 per cent. Saturday upgraded to 4.3 restored previous Apps from Google I have only used it for about 1 hour and just checked it, still at 70 per cent and has been in sleep when not used with wifi on. so it has gone from 10 hour life in sleep to 40 hours sleep plus one our use hours using 30 per cent. I have not tried to tweek any settings so it is more or less as shipped. I was fortunate as it is still under warranty. The down side is I do not know what Asus have done to it as there was no repair sheet when it was returned. For all those still under warranty it would be worth returning.. I guess as was suggested previously it has got to be a hardware problem. Thanks for all the help, will post update in a few weeks or sooner if it starts eating the battery. By the way when the unit is retuned it actually goes to Triage services Ltd, quite good service although they did have network problems this week and I did not email to say it was being returned

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke