Google Nexus 7 battery Problems!

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I would try a full wipe if the problem can't be identified... Generally speaking if you start with a fresh OS and still have the issue it could be something more serious

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You can check whether or not an app is keeping your device up, by looking at the usage and seeing whether or not the device was awake. "awake" is different from having the screen on. I have auto-sync off, and wifi when asleep is off unless charging. But I still get weird, sudden drops in battery when the device is asleep--there's no explanation for it, as it's not "awake" during that time.

IMO I have never, ever, ever had anything close to the full 9 hours-and I always use a screen dimmer app at 50% below brightness, and I rarely play games. I tried letting my battery die a few times to recalibrate, but that didn't seem to do anything.

upearlysteve

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Also suddenly finding battery issues with Nexus 7. My gut feeling is that they started with 4.2. Appreciate tips on installing advanced battery monitor and will start there.

If battery stability changes quickly on a new device, hard to think that an extended campaign of draining and recharging will make a difference, though maybe I'm just being lazy.

hemantvb

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts.... And it all started after the 4.2 update... ! What I realized that I had kept the new daydream feature on accidentally, that was eating up the battery all day long...! Even when I was not using the tablet... Turn it off and your battery should be back to normal...!

Barry Strum

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a Nexus 7 on 10/20/12.........and in the last three days it has yet to hold a charge for anything near a day. Last night I took it off the charger, fully charged, @ 9:00 P.M.
Arose this A.M. at 5:00.......did nothing from one time to the next other than read some e-mail. The battery is less than half charged !! Useless digital toy if this is characteristic. Will find out @ dealer today....I assume they'll tell me that too many apps are running in the background, GPS is on too much, etc. Hopefully, there will be a higher quality response.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I would not be surprised if some batteries fail early in their life-cycle. Some percentage will. It would be nice to know the actual percentage but I doubt anyone with the data will be posting it...

I've owned 2 N7s - one of the first 16GB models and a 32GB purchased about 2 weeks after they shipped. In both cases, I upgraded to 4.2.1 and had no battery issues with daily usage of between 4 and 6 hrs. and, I don't bother turning off BT or GPS or what ever. Maybe I'm just lucky. In both cases, it took about a week for the batteries to get to 10 hrs. For the first 3 or 4 charge cycles, it seemed like they didn't hold a charge well but I'm a happy camper these days,

Zheng Panomnomnom

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I got my nexus 7 on December 16th and the battery life isn't what i expected :( I turned all the battery draining stuff off like bluetooth but i still only get 6-7 hours just from using facebook or web browsing. Also i turned off my nexus and put it on airplane mode and it lost like 7 percent overnight! Do i have a defective model? please reply and thanks! :):(:(

teralpar

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Nexus 7 since August and my battery life was great (almost 10 hrs of usage before charging) until the 4.2 update. After that i would get only around 6 hrs.and it wouldnt last over 24 hours on standby. But once I changed the wifi setting to turning off while device is sleep, the battery life improved. I now get around 8-9 hrs of usage, and 2 days or more standby time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a quick question, a little off topic. What is considered to be a 'full discharge'

Does that mean you take your battery all the way to 0% or does it mean you can take it to 5% then start charging again?

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2 , because just Paranoid Android wasn't enough :)

kimikookskookis

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine shipped with 4.2, and I experience a battery life of 5 to 6 hours. Over night, in Airplane Mode, I lost 20% from 9:45pm to 7:45am. Charging takes a good while, but right now I'm draining the battery to 10 or 15%, turn it off and check how long it takes to charge.

Let's just hope it will work better with the next release.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

paparazzo79

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Here is my problem:
When I use my 7 on just battery is drains battery normally.I mean when I power it on next time I see the status of the battery (for example like 40% ) last time I used it when I switched it off.
Last night I used my nexus plugged on the charger,battery had 100 % charged.Played like some games on charger for like 1 hour.Then today when I turn it on I see battery status not 100 % and draining but only 41 %..why and what drained my battery I don't know,last night I unplugged the charger and turned off my nexus when it had 100 % because I used it on a charger..

justninjabro

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
so ive had my nexus 7 for 4 months now, and last night, it was on 8% so i turned it off and plugged it in to charge, and this morning at 9 AM, when i turned it on, it said on the screen 'connect your charger' and it turned off straight away. and when i plug it in, it has the charging icon, and when i plug it into a computer.. it doesnt reconise it! could anyone be able to help or should i contact Google Play?

taznator01

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Recently, I have been plagued with a terrible battery drain on my Nexus 7. I was getting very frustrated as I would have a fully charged battery at 8:00 at night, but by morning, it would be down to around 14%. Since installing the update, 4.2 I have had a little square in the upper left corner for the lock screen widgets and my N7 was staying quite warm even in sleep mode. I researched this extensively and found other N7 users with similar to the same issues. One user wrote that this new feature was the problem and suggested downloading the lockscreen app from the Google Play Store. With this app you can turn the lock screen widgets on and off. I downloaded the app a couple of days ago and I have noticed a significant difference in the battery usage. I am not afraid of my N7 not turning on because of no battery. :D

Pocketstar

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I was just wondering if your tablets are warm on the left side around the top.
Mine is warm even when its not being used but its still on. Wifi is off

colwickchris

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
We have 4 nexus 7s in our family 2 are 32g wifi 2 are 32gig 3g. the two32wifi will last up to 9 days in sleep mode even with wifi left on. one of the 3G will last for 4-5 days in sleep mode. All 4 tablets run 4.2.2 Mine will last 8 hours in sleep mode and drains between 5 and 10 percent per hour. Again seems to have started after 4.2.2 upgrade. After 30 factory resets and trying almost every solution and suggested app I still have the problem. if I power it off it will not drain the battery so I think we can rule out a faulty battery. It would be good roll back to 4.1.2 but not a simple procedure. I think the next step will be a return to manufacturer. The 3 G that is now working fine was replaced due to the battery only charging when switched off problem.

veevans01

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a Nexus 7 on 10/20/12.........and in the last three days it has yet to hold a charge for anything near a day. Last night I took it off the charger, fully charged, @ 9:00 P.M.
Arose this A.M. at 5:00.......did nothing from one time to the next other than read some e-mail. The battery is less than half charged !! Useless digital toy if this is characteristic. Will find out @ dealer today....I assume they'll tell me that too many apps are running in the background, GPS is on too much, etc. Hopefully, there will be a higher quality response.

I purchased mine around this time frame and within the last few days I can't get it to charge past 44 percent. Help me plz.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AC Forums mobile app

livss01111

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having battery problems too. When I first got my nexus the battery didn't drain,my battery started draining a lot a couple days ago. At first I thought it was a game I installed but now I'm thinking it the tablet update. After I updated it it started draining battery. Maybe only some people got effected by the update? A similar thing happend to my phone I replaced the battery and it was fixed but u can't replace the battery on your tablet so I am wondering how to fix the problem too.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
We have 4 nexus 7s in our family 2 are 32g wifi 2 are 32gig 3g. the two32wifi will last up to 9 days in sleep mode even with wifi left on. one of the 3G will last for 4-5 days in sleep mode. All 4 tablets run 4.2.2 Mine will last 8 hours in sleep mode and drains between 5 and 10 percent per hour. Again seems to have started after 4.2.2 upgrade. After 30 factory resets and trying almost every solution and suggested app I still have the problem. if I power it off it will not drain the battery so I think we can rule out a faulty battery. It would be good roll back to 4.1.2 but not a simple procedure. I think the next step will be a return to manufacturer. The 3 G that is now working fine was replaced due to the battery only charging when switched off problem.
Switch 3G tablets to airplane mode and see how standby time improved ;)
The one which drains battery extremely fast - its software issue. Some app causes this. Tablet doesn't go to deep sleep. Try to pinpoint it.
I know, it's a little late with advises, but still...

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm having battery problems too. When I first got my nexus the battery didn't drain,my battery started draining a lot a couple days ago. At first I thought it was a game I installed but now I'm thinking it the tablet update. After I updated it it started draining battery. Maybe only some people got effected by the update? A similar thing happend to my phone I replaced the battery and it was fixed but u can't replace the battery on your tablet so I am wondering how to fix the problem too.
Did it go to deep sleep? You still need to find the culprit app.
I have it time to time on my N7, especially with 4.3. Doesn't seem it's a specific app, I think the new version of OS is more pron to this behaviour, and it's not easy to pinpoint the app. But still, it's possible.