Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Nexus 7 battery Problems!

I have had my Nexus 7 for nearly 2 months now and at first my battery life was great. I was easily getting the 9 hours stated and this is with pretty heavy usage. In the last week or two or so, my battery has been draining a lot quicker than usual. Today as I write this, my nexus 7 has been on since half nine when I turned it on for my lecture. During that time it got a substantially low usage, except for half an hour where I used it to create a spreadsheet document. I noticed within 5 minutes that the battery indicator was in the red, 3 hours from being turned on, and hardly used. An hour later as I write this, 4 hours being on it is at 4% and I have hardly used it. Also I have noticed that sometimes when I have charged it all night, I have come to it in the morning and it hasn't even fully charged. I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with their battery on their Nexus 7, and whether or not people have any suggestions to fix this.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM11S

Default Re: Google Nexus 7 battery Problems!

Hmm odd problem try completely draining your battery and fully charging it then doing it again a couple more times get it to the point of it not even turning on before you charge it and make sure not to interrupt it's charging until it's back at 100% and then do it again I had to do this with my android phone to get it to have good battery life but now it reliably lasts all day and even if I don't charge it all night I can still get at least another 3 hours out of it hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 7 with CM-10 using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've let my battery drain daily for the past couple of days and I have left it for more than 4 hours before charging again and it hasn't made a difference. It does seem to be a strange problem. I don't know whether it is a software or hardware problem. I have stock android 4.1.2 And I don't have many apps on it either. This problem started before it updated from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 a couple of days ago, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. My girlfriend also has a nexus 7 and hers is perfectly fine, and hers has had more abuse than mine (she has dropped it at list 6-7 times by now where as I've never dropped mine)

Have you added new apps recently? Check and see if there is one working in the background draining the juice.

Sent from planet earth

Sounds like a background process or two is running that previously maybe wasn't. Use something like SystemPanel or OS Monitor to evaluate. Or just check battery information under settings to see what's using the battery at any given time. I assume you've already tried rebooting your N7 to clear all running processes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

You will need to start monitoring your battery usage to determine if it's software or hardware. I use battery monitor pro, also check and see what is using up the most battery life. That feature is built into android.

CPU spy is good for seeing if it goes into deep sleep. It's free from the play store. If it's not achieving deep sleep, then some app(s) are preventing your device from sleeping, causing battery drain. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll report back in a couple of days with details given by the suggested softwares

I've recently noticed the same problem with my Nexus 7. Even when on charge over-night, the battery level does not go over 25%. Battery usage stats from Settings:Battery do not show anything unusual.

At first I though it was the charger and they sent me a new one, but that hasn't helped. Also. I think it is an intermittent problem, but cant be sure. I'm now trying the full discharge/re-charge suggestion and see if that helps.

Also having similar issues with nexus 7. Battery was fully charged overnight. This morning it said 100%. Nexus 7 was off all day. Checked this evening and battery was down to 30%. WiFi and Gps/nfc are off. Been having this issue over the last week or so. Version is 4.1.2. No resolutions found anywhere on any forums.

If you go to the settings in the Nexus 7 you can see what is using your battery.

Do you have any google play widgets on your home screens

I have had an issue with these draining the battery, seen reports of others with this also, although dosn't seem to affect many people

When I checked my battery settings, the screen display was the only one with around 80%, 2nd was chrome on around 9%. All other entries were close to 0% for battery use.

The only widget on the home screen is the one that lets you easily turn on/off various interfaces, such as Wifi/GPS/sync etc. Can't see how this can suddenly start draining the battery as I have had this on the home screen ever since I had the nexus 7. No other widgets are on any of the other home screens.

One thing I noticed yesterday when checking under the battery settings was that it reported the screen display as being on for over 9 hours. No way it was on for this long.
    I turned the damn thing on when I got home, so cannot see how it could be left on. Even it was left on, does it not automatically power off after a set amount of time ?

After checking that it was fully charged yesterday morning, I switched it off straight away before leaving for work, so did not open any apps etc. Last night I plugged it back into the charger and will check it this evening to see if it has any issues.

I was wondering if the update to take the o/s to 4.1.2 caused the issue.

I am seeing the same problem recently with my Nexus 7 as well. The first 6 weeks, I always got 8 to 10 hours between recharges. Now I am only getting about 5 hours out of a charge, max. The battery monitor indicates the screen still uses most of the battery, about 75% but that has always been the case. Other apps take 2% max. I'm wondering if the recent OS update is the culprit as that's about when I started noticing the battery life was a lot shorter.

I've been using an app called "Auto Airplane Mode" (made by DON). What it does is whenever the N7 screen turns off, it automatically puts the tablet in Airplane mode. When the screen is on, it reconnects. Has made a HUGE difference in with my battery. There definitely seems to be something with the wifi and deep sleep going on.

I confirmed with CPU Spy that my Nexus 7 is in deep sleep 75% of the time...but it is still only lasting 4 hours. I keep wifi and Bluetooth and gps turned off except for when I'm using them...but maybe Auto Airplane Mode would help. I have noticed changes with the wifi behavior as well. Before the recent update, whenever I would wake up the Nexus 7, it would already be connected. Now I have to wait for it to connect. It seems they tried to make some changes to improve battery performance but I'm noticing things are actually performing much worse.

I've observed something similar. If I just click off my Nexus 7, which apparently puts it in a sleep mode, with a day or two it's dead. I had to revive it by recharging and holding the power button for 30 seconds as documented on other forum issues. I even read to turn off the wifi when not on, but that doesn't really seem to extend the battery life.

Conversely I have an ipad2. If I click it off off simply close the cover it will sleep for at least 2 weeks (that's the longest I let it rest) and it will power on immediately with not much battery life lost.

My conclusion is that some app must be chewing on the Nexus 7 battery when it's supposed to be sleeping. I'll try some battery apps and monitor it, but its annoying that something can eat up the Nexus battery life in half a day or so.

When installing some applications you will get a notice that it features keep alive and that is what it does keep your tablet on it would be nice to have an override feature

Quote Originally Posted by tmackett View Post
    I've observed something similar. If I just click off my Nexus 7, which apparently puts it in a sleep mode, with a day or two it's dead. I had to revive it by recharging and holding the power button for 30 seconds as documented on other forum issues. I even read to turn off the wifi when not on, but that doesn't really seem to extend the battery life.

Conversely I have an ipad2. If I click it off off simply close the cover it will sleep for at least 2 weeks (that's the longest I let it rest) and it will power on immediately with not much battery life lost.

My conclusion is that some app must be chewing on the Nexus 7 battery when it's supposed to be sleeping. I'll try some battery apps and monitor it, but its annoying that something can eat up the Nexus battery life in half a day or so.

@tmackett: I have exactly the same problem. I'd love more information about how to stop this. It's annoying to leave the Nexus 7 for a day and then find there's not enough battery to do the task you want. The ipad2 battery is so much better. (Believe me, I hate saying that! )

My N7 was getting great stand by time untill the last couple of days.
    Last night when I went to bed it was 92% charge when I got up it was 3% charge.Nothing has changed
    with the N7,not sure whats up.

Since the 4.2 update my battery life in sleep mode is worse. I would normally lose about 3% overnight but now I am losing 3% an hour. I tested this over the last 4 hours only waking the tablet up to check the battery level and each hour I lost exactly 3%. With WiFi off it seems to be normal with next to no loss from hour to hour so it seems something is active while the tablet sleeps now but that was not the case before 4.2. I have not add any new apps or changed any setting since from 4.1.2 to 4.2. I am going to play with it and see if i can figure out which app is doing it. Anyone else having similar issues since 4.2?

ROM
    CM10 Alpha

I would try a full wipe if the problem can't be identified... Generally speaking if you start with a fresh OS and still have the issue it could be something more serious
    The Rogue Reindeer Strikes Again!

You can check whether or not an app is keeping your device up, by looking at the usage and seeing whether or not the device was awake. "awake" is different from having the screen on. I have auto-sync off, and wifi when asleep is off unless charging. But I still get weird, sudden drops in battery when the device is asleep--there's no explanation for it, as it's not "awake" during that time.

IMO I have never, ever, ever had anything close to the full 9 hours-and I always use a screen dimmer app at 50% below brightness, and I rarely play games. I tried letting my battery die a few times to recalibrate, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Global Posts
    132 Global Posts

didn't i read that the battery life went pot after 4.2?

Also suddenly finding battery issues with Nexus 7. My gut feeling is that they started with 4.2. Appreciate tips on installing advanced battery monitor and will start there.

If battery stability changes quickly on a new device, hard to think that an extended campaign of draining and recharging will make a difference, though maybe I'm just being lazy.

I had the same problem and it was driving me nuts.... And it all started after the 4.2 update... ! What I realized that I had kept the new daydream feature on accidentally, that was eating up the battery all day long...! Even when I was not using the tablet... Turn it off and your battery should be back to normal...!
    Thanked by 2:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast