Headset microphone for nexus 7????

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I use talkatone voip app phone with my n7. Can any one suggest earphone/microphone combo so i dont have to use speaker. Also will a bluetooth work? TIA.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read on another website (because it seems Android users have to constantly read forums to know what's going on with their devices), the Nexus 7 headphone jack only supports audio out.

As for bluetooth headset pairing, it seems hit-or-miss (mostly miss) depending on your bluetooth headset. I tried the Samsung HS3000
with Talkatone and I get a horrible static noise so, yeah, from my experience bluetooth is unusable as a headset for voip and limited as a stereo headphone on the N7. When I use Talkatone, I just plug in wired headphones and make sure my voice is projected towards the tablet when I talk during a call.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
As i suspected. I also have talkatone on my ipad3. I wonder if its the same situation? In any case talkatone really works well. I even called the uk with no problem from the us.

From what I've read on another website (because it seems Android users have to constantly read forums to know what's going on with their devices), the Nexus 7 headphone jack only supports audio out.

As for bluetooth headset pairing, it seems hit-or-miss (mostly miss) depending on your bluetooth headset. I tried the Samsung HS3000
with Talkatone and I get a horrible static noise so, yeah, from my experience bluetooth is unusable as a headset for voip and limited as a stereo headphone on the N7. When I use Talkatone, I just plug in wired headphones and make sure my voice is projected towards the tablet when I talk during a call.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The N7 audio jack definitely only supports audio out, not a mic input, as jairusz said. It was a hardware choice made by the manufacturer. It has a 3-pole headphone only jack, not a 4-pole jack required to support a microphone.

However, I've had good luck using a cheap Bluetooth headset with a microphone. I bought a TaoTronics TT-BH01 from Newegg. From my experience, it depends on the app/headset combo as to how well or if the headset works.

Sorry, I don't use Talkatone, so I can't talk specifically about that. Instead, here is my experience with other similar apps requiring a microphone.

For Groove IP, which uses Google Voice for calls, Bluetooth works fine, though according to the person on the other end, my voice quality was a little choppy in one call. I don't know if that's the fault of the cheap headset, the application, Google Voice, or my connection. Regardless, it worked well enough.

I got the headset to work with Skype, also. However, I needed a workaround for it to work. Skype claims Bluetooth works with many headsets. Their most recent version claims "more headsets supported", but apparently not mine!

To make it work on Skype, I use the app called BTmono, which forces the app to play nice with app/headset combos that aren't compatible. I only tried it on a Skype test call where you can record a quick message that is then played back. My recording was successful and I could hear everything clearly. The tricky part is that for Skype you have to activate BTmono after you start the call connection.

I also was able to use the Bluetooth mic when making a recording with an app called TapeMachine. This app also claims that it supports Bluetooth, but as with Skype, it isn't natively supported with my particular headset. Once again, BTmono came to the rescue. Activating BTmono, before switching mic inputs within the recording app, allowed my Bluetooth mic to work perfectly. It also allowed me to hear the recording play back through the earpiece.

So, I use the app to enable the Bluetooth mic when I have compatibility issues. But as the name implies, BTmono is primarily for streaming audio to mono headsets that are intended for making phone calls, and which often aren't compatible with apps that play back or stream audio. So if you have your earpiece for phone calls, but also want to listen to music or audio from your favorite music or radio streaming app, you can listen to it in wonderful mono through one ear! Of course, it's probably better just to buy a stereo Bluetooth headset that works natively with player apps, if your intent is to listen to music. For the Nexus 7, stereo Bluetooth headsets work well.

Lastly, if you do try BTmono, use the free version first to make sure it works with your Bluetooth device. If it does, then be a big spender ($1.00) and buy the paid version. It includes a widget that makes activating the app much easier and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Deepak Eapen

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to listen to music from a headset that has a 4 Pole 3.5mm pin(originally of Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V) on my Nexus 7 (2012), but I had to jockey it up and down to get the proper audio output. So for listening to music I would require a headset with a 3 Conductor 3.5mm pin on Nexus 7, right?

Thanks,
Deepak.
The N7 audio jack definitely only supports audio out, not a mic input, as jairusz said. It was a hardware choice made by the manufacturer. It has a 3-pole headphone only jack, not a 4-pole jack required to support a microphone.

However, I've had good luck using a cheap Bluetooth headset with a microphone. I bought a TaoTronics TT-BH01 from Newegg. From my experience, it depends on the app/headset combo as to how well or if the headset works.

Sorry, I don't use Talkatone, so I can't talk specifically about that. Instead, here is my experience with other similar apps requiring a microphone.

For Groove IP, which uses Google Voice for calls, Bluetooth works fine, though according to the person on the other end, my voice quality was a little choppy in one call. I don't know if that's the fault of the cheap headset, the application, Google Voice, or my connection. Regardless, it worked well enough.

I got the headset to work with Skype, also. However, I needed a workaround for it to work. Skype claims Bluetooth works with many headsets. Their most recent version claims "more headsets supported", but apparently not mine!

To make it work on Skype, I use the app called BTmono, which forces the app to play nice with app/headset combos that aren't compatible. I only tried it on a Skype test call where you can record a quick message that is then played back. My recording was successful and I could hear everything clearly. The tricky part is that for Skype you have to activate BTmono after you start the call connection.

I also was able to use the Bluetooth mic when making a recording with an app called TapeMachine. This app also claims that it supports Bluetooth, but as with Skype, it isn't natively supported with my particular headset. Once again, BTmono came to the rescue. Activating BTmono, before switching mic inputs within the recording app, allowed my Bluetooth mic to work perfectly. It also allowed me to hear the recording play back through the earpiece.

So, I use the app to enable the Bluetooth mic when I have compatibility issues. But as the name implies, BTmono is primarily for streaming audio to mono headsets that are intended for making phone calls, and which often aren't compatible with apps that play back or stream audio. So if you have your earpiece for phone calls, but also want to listen to music or audio from your favorite music or radio streaming app, you can listen to it in wonderful mono through one ear! Of course, it's probably better just to buy a stereo Bluetooth headset that works natively with player apps, if your intent is to listen to music. For the Nexus 7, stereo Bluetooth headsets work well.

Lastly, if you do try BTmono, use the free version first to make sure it works with your Bluetooth device. If it does, then be a big spender ($1.00) and buy the paid version. It includes a widget that makes activating the app much easier and faster.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20