iPad Mini resolution no match for Nexus 7.

jpash549

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
One reason Apple made the mini screen approximately 7.9 was so in landscape mode it would be a little wider then a 7 inch Android screen. Thus video viewing experience should be as good as with the 7 inch Android tablets.

With all of the comments about the mini being too big to fit in jeans pockets it looks like an enterprising jeans maker should start making Apple jeans with a big enough pocket for the device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
They do get top tier stuff with Apple. The most hillarious thing is how people here assume the fact that it is missing a Retina Display somehow makes it low tier. I think mindshare with consumers is not the issue. It's the Android OEMs listening to techies who care more about the latest specs than the quality of the ecosystem and user experience. Apple went the other way, and Microsoft is going the other way, and it's working for Apple and will work for Microsoft. The techie way of Android obviously isn't competing well except in the "can't afford an iPad" market. The fact that people are willing to use a stock OS with inferior user experience and beckon it as the greatest thing ever says a lot in this thread.

There are many skinned Android tablets that offer competitive user experiences. The Nexus 7's software apart from being more "flexible" and "customizeable" simply isn't on the level of iOS6 and Windows 8 for the average consumer. Most consumers buy skinned devices. The Nexus 7 sold well for the same reason the Kindle Fire sold well. It's dirt cheap.

Infact the only really successful Android tablets have been the Kindle Fire and to a MUCH MUCH lesser extent the Nexus 7 largely because of being super cheap.

If the iPad is so inferior and so overpriced, how come none of the high priced tablets from Asus, Samsung, and others are able to compete with it in the higher price ranges for 10" form factors despite being in some cases factorably cheaper with what some claim as superior hardware (outside of screen resolution)?

I could afford to buy a dozen iPads, and not blink an eye. I don't because I am repulsed by iOS. I think you're confusing being dumbed-down for the technically illiterate with being superior. For anyone who actually has even a basic understanding of tech, Android is a far more powerful and flexible platform. You might as well argue that a kiddie bicycle with training wheels is better than a 12 speed racer because people who don't know how to ride can use it. For ignorant users, skinned Android options like Sense and Touchwiz exist. The only reason Apple sells so many products is their Phenomenal marketing, however their mind share is starting to dwindle. Take a look in these forums and you'll see just how many iPhone users are jumping ship to high-end Android devices like the Galaxy S3 and HTC One X. Most are quite vocal about how much better they are. They generally say that they had just never though of buying anything other than an idevice before.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well for one the build quality is obviously superior and of course it has a back camera.

Have you held both in your hands yet? Just saying, can't really say it's "obviously superior".

The best camera is obviously the one you have with you. That said, I'm all for banning rear cameras on all tablets. Or banning their use in public. ;)

Because the Coach's Eye Sports Video Analysis app is one of those essential apps that the general public needs.. ???

The ecosystem is much better and the Tablet App market is a lot better on iOS than Android.

Historically, yes. The ecosystem as a whole (mostly pointing towards apps and accessories) is better on iOS than it is on Android. Tablet apps, especially, no matter how much Android fanboys want to deny this. It's getting better. But it needs to be better, IMO. At this point in time, I don't think anyone can honestly tablet apps for Android are at the level than those for the iPad.

Accessories for iPad shatter those made for the Nexus 7. That's a fact right now. There's more. There's better.

Stock Android is missing a lot of the niceties in iOS6. Codec support is worse.

I want to say that this is a licensing issue. But really, in this day an age, if you're not designing and supporting the common codecs, you don't want your content consumed by everyone.

Services integration is worse.

Apple's services are a bit more streamlined than Google's.

Sort of opinion. But Google's cloud services feel more user friendly to me than iCloud.

It's easier to use for the average consumer, and you can get more done just by virtue of the extra hardware components in it, nevermind the superior app ecosystem there.

Some things are worth paying for.

Just wait a week or two before purchasing and you can plop down an extra $80 for it. It's really not that difficult.

I'll agree here. For my wife. For my parents. For kids. It's been much easier for me to teach them how to user their iOS devices than it has been to teach anyone how to use an Android device.

Screen Resolution doesn't matter much. It's a smaller screen so the PPI will be good enough. As good as most 1024x600 7" Android tablets, which is what most that size are.

The problem here is that Apple seems to be a "Retina" mission. The screen is good enough. But it kind of goes against what Apple has been pushing lately. Prediction: second generation iPad mini launched in April of 2013, now with Retina display.

A higher resolution screen doesn't make up for completely lacking an important hardware component (camera). The arguments against this tablet aren't logical, and price isn't just based on hardware.

Again. Rear camera on a tablet. So silly when people use that in public, IMO. I just really see how important it is.

Android with Sense or TouchWizis great. Stock Android isn't on the same level as iOS, TW/Sense, or WP7.5/8 for usability.

I'm sorry but if I had to choose a great Android skin, it would be Motorola's current Blur (ICS and up).

People should ultimately use what they feel works best for them. Obviously I'm not going to buy a tablet of any size without a camera, so that is very important to me. I'm sure there are others who like the lack of a camera, one less thing to break plopping the device down. That's all fine and good. But the arguments against price in this thread do not seem to be soundly justified.

Extreme examples, like your Coach's Eye app, aren't common.

But yes, people should get the device they choose and shouldn't be ridiculed by anyone for making that choice.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I really love how Apple fanboys lauded how much better the retina display was and now try to flip around and argue that it doesn't matter. I've seen enough 1024x768 displays to know that they're downright blocky and terrible. If Apple went back to black and white, they'd be telling us all that nobody really needs color. Mindless fanaticism at it's best.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
They do get top tier stuff with Apple. The most hillarious thing is how people here assume the fact that it is missing a Retina Display somehow makes it low tier. I think mindshare with consumers is not the issue. It's the Android OEMs listening to techies who care more about the latest specs than the quality of the ecosystem and user experience. Apple went the other way, and Microsoft is going the other way, and it's working for Apple and will work for Microsoft. The techie way of Android obviously isn't competing well except in the "can't afford an iPad" market. The fact that people are willing to use a stock OS with inferior user experience and beckon it as the greatest thing ever says a lot in this thread.

There are many skinned Android tablets that offer competitive user experiences. The Nexus 7's software apart from being more "flexible" and "customizeable" simply isn't on the level of iOS6 and Windows 8 for the average consumer. Most consumers buy skinned devices. The Nexus 7 sold well for the same reason the Kindle Fire sold well. It's dirt cheap.

Infact the only really successful Android tablets have been the Kindle Fire and to a MUCH MUCH lesser extent the Nexus 7 largely because of being super cheap.

If the iPad is so inferior and so overpriced, how come none of the high priced tablets from Asus, Samsung, and others are able to compete with it in the higher price ranges for 10" form factors despite being in some cases factorably cheaper with what some claim as superior hardware (outside of screen resolution)?

Just because I don't like what you like must mean I suck.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The thread is full of people calling the iPad Mini clearly inferior based on their own personal use cases, yet I don't see you ing at them.

I see tons of people using iPads for video. This whole market is full of coaches who use them for on-the-spot video analysis with their students.

This isn't about what I THINK is optimal. I'm simply telling you what I see, and Google by virtue of their design of that tablet pretty much made it a non-factor to all of the coaches that use the cameras on their Tablets rink-side.

That's not my opinion. It's fact. If it's missing the hardware, then it's clearly not going to work out.

Additionally the governing body of the sport has Apps with video analysis clips etc. for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iTouch) which are not available on Android, anyways.

And the apps like the one I linked upthread are so buggy on so many Android phones that if you do this for a living (or train in sport) you're better off just getting an iOS device to ensure a higher quality experience even if you're rather have an Android device to begin with. Sometimes people don't buy what they like, they buy what they NEED. And the Nexus 7 (and Android, to a lesser extent) has big holes in its design that don't allow it to provide that.

Everyone wants more competition in the market. But they are making it hard for a lot of people to consider their product with these types of obvious omissions. If someone wants an eReader they can buy a Nook or Kindle (or Sony eReader) for half the price and use their smartphone for everything else. It's not like a Nexus 7 is so much bigger than the average high end Android smartphone these days (4.8-5.3" screens).

The main argument I hear from the average Joe against Tablets is always "why do I need one, it doesn't do anything my smartphone doesn't do." As smartphones get bigger even the media advantage of smaller tablets are getting eroded on, because people LOVE to consolidate devices (this is why the PMP and hand held camera markets are being destroyed by smartphones these days).

I really don't think it sucks, it's just plain and simple underwhelming to me. I watched the whole announcement and it it was just like wow, 2 year old hardware, and a 1024x768 display... It's 2010 again! I just kinda expected more from Apple that's all. The screen isn't going to be ugly, it'll look nice, after all my flyer was essentially the same but 1024x600 because it was 16:9. I never had any complaints about it either, the screen was great, but I definitely saw the difference when I got this thing.

And It doesn't seem small enough imo. It's just a tad bit smaller, to the extent I almost question "what was the point?". Really in general I don't get why apple even bothered with the mini tablet market, the iPad is an unstoppable force that kills every 10 inch android tablet that dares stand up to it, so do they even need to bother? Apple's own pricing scheme keeps it from getting as cheap as a nexus 7 or Kindle fire anyway.

I guess it's just "ho hum booooring" for me. Nothing new, just take a 2 year old iPad tablet and shave of an inch of the screen, call it a day. Which is better nexus 7 or iPad mini? That's for us to decide imo. No right or wrong answer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
A little searching shows the mini has only 512mb RAM. As well. Android tablets with that level of hardware sell for under a hundred bucks n DHgate. Apple is making 230$ plus profit on each device. I suppose they better make as much as they can while their brand is still worth a damn.

Koshnix

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I love how people get so riled up about what the competition is doing. Buy what you like and prefer but no reason to get pissy when another company puts out a product that will probably sell millions. I have a nexus 7 which I love and I also have an iPad which is fun as well. I wonder why people get hyped up over specs. If something works and works well enough for me that's all I care about. what's the point about going on rants how such and such products resolution is inferior or the ram is half of what I have.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm starting to loose interest in ipad mini threads. I stated my opinion of it, what else is there to do? Kinda debate with people a bit, but overall if you want an ipad mini over a nexus 7 that's your choice, I don't really care. I"m happy with my nexus 7 that's what counts.

I am looking forward to messing with an Ipad mini on display though, maybe I'll be more impressed with it in person who knows?

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm starting to loose interest in ipad mini threads. I stated my opinion of it, what else is there to do? Kinda debate with people a bit, but overall if you want an ipad mini over a nexus 7 that's your choice, I don't really care. I"m happy with my nexus 7 that's what counts.
You have to wonder at people who want to discuss the iPad on a Nexus 7 sub-forum instead of, oh for example, iMore. :D

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
it's been interested reading all of the opinions (some opinions are giving as "fact", which forces me to find to look for the salt) for/against the N7/the iPad Mini.

Rather than claim one is "better" or "inferior" overall (I started the thread by mentioning ONLY the screen resolution as being inferior, which even an Apple fan should be able to handle without going off the deep end), let me say for the record that I applaud competition, furthermore that I am positive Apple will sell many boatloads of the Ipad Mini, that it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the N7 one iota, and I applaud all those who got in on Apple stock when it was far cheaper than what it sells for currently. to each his own.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The thread is full of people calling the iPad Mini clearly inferior based on their own personal use cases, yet I don't see you ing at them.

I'm not sure what ing you are accusing me of doing to you. You've been cutting your use cases like they are somehow more of a gold standard than those of others.

I don't know any coaches. Not one. If the use case of every one of them requires something with 1024p video and an excellent on the fly video editor, and I were a salesperson, I'd walk right by a row of camera-less android tablets and recommend an iPad. If they wanted cheaper or more portable, I'd recommend the mini. Our I'd recommend a digital camcorder and playback device which could probably be had a lot cheaper if that was their only use for it. But tablets have many uses so an iPad would be a good choice.

My use case requires no rear camera. It's a nice to have, sure, but I ain't paying a premium for one. My use case requires portability. My use case requires the possibility of some one-sided use. My use case requires cheap, because this is a toy and my toy budget ain't that high.

You've obviously decided in an iPad. Congratulations and I very much hope you enjoy the heck out of it, as I have been with my nexus. I hope your choice ends up meeting your desires every bit as well as my choice has been at meeting mine.

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I really love how Apple fanboys lauded how much better the retina display was and now try to flip around and argue that it doesn't matter. I've seen enough 1024x768 displays to know that they're downright blocky and terrible. If Apple went back to black and white, they'd be telling us all that nobody really needs color. Mindless fanaticism at it's best.

Couldn't agree more. Its like anything apple execs say there customer take as truth and gospel. Its outright frightening how people can be so easily fooled and directed to do, believe in, or buy something without blinking. Apple does not make better functioning products, they are generic like everything else. They just market it as and wrap it in bling to sell it. I will stay with my lower priced tech that does everything an apple product can thank you very much.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
A higher resolution screen doesn't make up for completely lacking an important hardware component (camera). The arguments against this tablet aren't logical, and price isn't just based on hardware.

Let's back up and think this over for a bit. What are you going to be doing more on a tablet: using the screen for media consumption, or using it as an oversized point and shoot? I don't think a camera is as important as you're implying it to be. That's why we have point and shoots and smartphones.

Sent from my HTC One X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon