Reading Magazines on Nexus 7

ejg1

May 7, 2012
Visit site
What apps are folks using to read magazines that weren't purchased through the Google Play store? I haven't had luck getting magazines that came from sources other than the Google store to display properly on my Nexus 7. Could I be doing something wrong?

ejg1

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I've tried epub and pdf. The mags were downloads I received from a friend. I can open them and they look fine on my laptop. The page layout is screwed up on my Nexus 7. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

magicrat21

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Zinio as my magazine app. Works well with my Nexus 7. When you use "text" mode you can send the page to email and then print it.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Zinio renders pages nicely and quickly, and the "text" mode is great. Note that the Google Play Magazines reader also has a "text" mode as well.

I currently only use Zinio for an old PC Magazine subscription, and I'm considering letting it expire and moving over to the Google Play version.

magicrat21

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The one reason I favor Zinio instead of Google Play Magazine reader is the "text" mode on Google Play does not allow you to send the text to email, where you can print it out,
whereas Zinio does allow this.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI, you can't read magazines from other sources on Zinio. You can read what you bought from the Zinio magazine stand, but you can't read say, the PDF magazines you downloaded from your friend.

But yeah, hands down Zinio. They have a ton of different magazines, I'm using it mainly for Nat Geo. Watch out for sales. Around xmas last year, they had free $25 credit for new subscribers (so my NG sub was free).

Tainayersiel

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the Kindle App since if im going to download a book, it will probably be from Amazon. If you have the app downloaded, you can plug your Nexus 7 into the computer, and put the .pdf files into the folder that says Kindle. Then they will show up in your Kindle library, along with any other books or magazines you download from Amazon.

Last edited:

gpdaddy95

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
What apps are folks using to read magazines that weren't purchased through the Google Play store? I haven't had luck getting magazines that came from sources other than the Google store to display properly on my Nexus 7. Could I be doing something wrong?

I'm using Zinio. I think it does a better job than the Google magazines for display. I subscribe to National Geographin on Zinio and it really does well....Maxim is so-so. The text mode is great in a pinch too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis