Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Reading Magazines on Nexus 7

What apps are folks using to read magazines that weren't purchased through the Google Play store? I haven't had luck getting magazines that came from sources other than the Google store to display properly on my Nexus 7. Could I be doing something wrong?

Default Re: Reading Magazines on Nexus 7

what format are the magazine and where did you purchase it from?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I've tried epub and pdf. The mags were downloads I received from a friend. I can open them and they look fine on my laptop. The page layout is screwed up on my Nexus 7. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've been using Zinio as my magazine app. Works well with my Nexus 7. When you use "text" mode you can send the page to email and then print it.
    berrydroidapple likes this.

Apanther likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your reply.

I agree. Zinio renders pages nicely and quickly, and the "text" mode is great. Note that the Google Play Magazines reader also has a "text" mode as well.

I currently only use Zinio for an old PC Magazine subscription, and I'm considering letting it expire and moving over to the Google Play version.

The one reason I favor Zinio instead of Google Play Magazine reader is the "text" mode on Google Play does not allow you to send the text to email, where you can print it out,
    whereas Zinio does allow this.

Just FYI, you can't read magazines from other sources on Zinio. You can read what you bought from the Zinio magazine stand, but you can't read say, the PDF magazines you downloaded from your friend.

But yeah, hands down Zinio. They have a ton of different magazines, I'm using it mainly for Nat Geo. Watch out for sales. Around xmas last year, they had free $25 credit for new subscribers (so my NG sub was free).
    Thanked by:

I use Mantano Reader for both epub and pdf it works great. There is a free version you can try and see if you like it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...WQubm9ybWFsIl0.

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Nook app is just great love it.
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,611 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Do any offer playboy or penthouse?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Zinio does but it's only viewable on a pc or mac.

I downloaded the Kindle App since if im going to download a book, it will probably be from Amazon. If you have the app downloaded, you can plug your Nexus 7 into the computer, and put the .pdf files into the folder that says Kindle. Then they will show up in your Kindle library, along with any other books or magazines you download from Amazon.

ROM
    Stock on both for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg1 View Post
    What apps are folks using to read magazines that weren't purchased through the Google Play store? I haven't had luck getting magazines that came from sources other than the Google store to display properly on my Nexus 7. Could I be doing something wrong?
    I'm using Zinio. I think it does a better job than the Google magazines for display. I subscribe to National Geographin on Zinio and it really does well....Maxim is so-so. The text mode is great in a pinch too.
    jrwatson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moosc View Post
    Do any offer playboy or penthouse?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Yes, but "text" mode only.
    mkhall and mr_nobody like this.

that's cool. everyone just reads for the articles anyway right?...
    mkhall likes this.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Default Reading Magazines on Nexus 7

I use the kindle app. When i open the PDF I am prompted what to open it with. Select kindle> just once to try it.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Zinio, but reading them on my 10" is much easier and pleasing.

I've found Mantano the best and quickest for page turns. It was worth it to me to purchase the Premium version.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

I love the 3d page then on the play books, anyone found another app with it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Is it just me, or is Google Magazines ungodly laggy? Just decided to purchase Newsweek for the 50% off sale (great deal, $13 for 54 issues), but even after fully downloading it takes a couple seconds to load each page--even the ones I just read. For Zinio, it takes a while to finish downloading, but once it's downloaded it's totally smooth. I just don't understand why it would lag even though all the content is already there.

Also, all the text in my Play magazines is fuzzy! I understand that it probably saves space to download something low-res, but the degradation in quality is actually noticeable to me when I read. Go ahead and click on the full version of the following pics:

Here's my Zinio Nat Geo zoomed in all the way:
    Reading Magazines on Nexus 7-screenshot_2012-11-02-23-53-03.png

And here's my Newsweek zoomed in all the way:
    Reading Magazines on Nexus 7-screenshot_2012-11-02-23-53-42.png
    (it's like a low-res JPEG)

My eyesight is fine so I obviously have it zoomed out, but it's noticeable no matter the distance. Does this bother you? I wish I had the option to download a high-res version, because it's pretty annoying to read blurry, grainy text. Love Google and I don't mean to be a stickler, but I like crisp text. It's enough to deter me from purchasing magazines through Google, unless the price makes up for it (like in this case, with the 50% Newsweek).

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Is it just me, or is Google Magazines ungodly laggy? Just decided to purchase Newsweek for the 50% off sale (great deal, $13 for 54 issues), but even after fully downloading it takes a couple seconds to load each page--even the ones I just read. For Zinio, it takes a while to finish downloading, but once it's downloaded it's totally smooth. I just don't understand why it would lag even though all the content is already there.

Also, all the text in my Play magazines is fuzzy! I understand that it probably saves space to download something low-res, but the degradation in quality is actually noticeable to me when I read. Go ahead and click on the full version of the following pics:

Here's my Zinio Nat Geo zoomed in all the way:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-02-23-53-03.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	44521

And here's my Newsweek zoomed in all the way:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-02-23-53-42.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	44522
    (it's like a low-res JPEG)

My eyesight is fine so I obviously have it zoomed out, but it's noticeable no matter the distance. Does this bother you? I wish I had the option to download a high-res version, because it's pretty annoying to read blurry, grainy text. Love Google and I don't mean to be a stickler, but I like crisp text. It's enough to deter me from purchasing magazines through Google, unless the price makes up for it (like in this case, with the 50% Newsweek).
    I don't have a Nexus 7 yet (waiting on 3g version), but Google Play Magazines look fine on my Xoom and Galaxy Nexus. I don't have Newsweek though.

Quote Originally Posted by fabulas View Post
    I don't have a Nexus 7 yet (waiting on 3g version), but Google Play Magazines look fine on my Xoom and Galaxy Nexus. I don't have Newsweek though.
    It's one thing on a phone or 7" tablet, but I guarantee everyone would take notice on something with a larger screen and higher res like the N10. I'm beginning to wonder if this is because Google groups 7" tablets with smartphones, such that larger tabs would download higher-res magazines, but anything smaller than 10" gets phone-quality resolution.

I think Newsweek is the worst because it's text-heavy and the font is generally smaller. I mean it doesn't make reading difficult, but it bothers my eyes to read a low-res JPG.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast