Just a thank you..

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
dead trigger is totally free...

For me, totally free means AD-FREE and fully featured ...

When an app is Ad-supported, it really isn't free... the developer is charging for the app by receiving revenue from ads...

Now don't take my comment as an attack on the ad-supported revenue model. It is just that those apps aren't totally free...

Note: Dead Trigger may not have ads... I dunno... just wanted to make that point about 'Totally Free'

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
When an app is Ad-supported, it really isn't free... the developer is charging for the app by receiving revenue from ads...
TANSTAAFL. Like GMail and OTA broadcast television, the price you pay is seeing (or ignoring) the ads that support the product or service, instead of paying $ out of pocket.
For many people, that's a lot better than a business model like magazines and cable television where you pay $ out of pocket and they still show you ads. :D :D

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, totally free means AD-FREE and fully featured ...

Now don't take my comment as an attack on the ad-supported revenue model. It is just that those apps aren't totally free...

Note: Dead Trigger may not have ads... I dunno... just wanted to make that point about 'Totally Free'

here is a statement from the developer when it went from paid to free app.
you still can play it without in app purchases. The developer makes money by the perks like weapons.

https://www.facebook.com/DEADTRIGGER/posts/228353737287174

angry bird for example have all the levels for free with no restrictions but with ads. doesnt mean it not free.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
angry bird for example have all the levels for free with no restrictions but with ads. doesnt mean it not free.

Sorry, according to the dictionary that is not the meaning of free...

Free (Adverb) : Without cost or payment

Ad supported apps eat up data. Most of the world isn't on an unlimited data plan, and with the way things are going, unlimited data plans may not exist in the near future.

Ad supported apps eat up cpu cycles. CPU cycles eat batteries and tax the cpu at the expense of other apps. It is widely known that ad supported apps are one of the leading drains on battery life.

Ad supported apps force ads on the screen rendering the space taken by those ads unusable.

All three of those are absolute costs...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
TANSTAAFL. Like GMail and OTA broadcast television, the price you pay is seeing (or ignoring) the ads that support the product or service, instead of paying $ out of pocket.
For many people, that's a lot better than a business model like magazines and cable television where you pay $ out of pocket and they still show you ads. :D :D

I am not arguing that the ad supported business model lacks benefits and advantages, but those apps cannot be called 'free' according to the dictionary...

So I don't think that we are disagreeing...

Regarding TANSTAAFL, wouldn't freeware violate that principle?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Free (Adverb) : Without cost or payment

I would suggest that your interpretation of this perfectly good dictionary definition is rather more strict than most people's would be. In terms of apps, "free" generally refers to the upfront cost, ie: whether you must pay _to install it_. Extending your interpretation, one could argue that free apps that do not include ads are still not free because running them uses up your battery! ;)

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I would suggest that your interpretation of this perfectly good dictionary definition is rather more strict than most people's would be.

I guess that is one way to say it...

The terms lying, cheating, stealing and many others have suffered redefinition based on popular opinion... so why not free...

I guess that I am just old to think that the dictionary was an infallible source of meaning... how silly of me...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams