Can anyone help me out with wifi problems?

SuperZac

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Just got my Nexus 7 yesterday, and I was able to connect to some random wifi outside a store and register it with my Google account. I played around with some of the features, was able to stream music and video (it was really slow, but I think it was because the wifi signal was weak.)

I had been planning to use virtual router software on my mom's laptop to connect to wifi at home (we have ethernet cables running through our walls.) I had tested the "Intel My Wifi" virtual router software that was preinstalled on her laptop before on a Galaxy S2 phone, and it worked like a charm.

At first it was stuck on the infinite "Obtaining IP" loop, but I screwed around with some settings that I found online and that seemed to alleviate the problem.

I was then able to connect my tablet to the wifi, but I couldn't actually do anything. Email, internet, music, nothing would load. The signal icon showed that the signal was excellent, but it was gray and had a small triangle on it.

I proceeded to try different virtual router applications, including "Connectify" and "VirtualRouter." The same essential thing happened on each. Connectfiy worked the best, I was able to load my email and webpages. Video streaming still errored out. The signal strength would occasionally turn blue and the triangle would disappear, but that didn't last very long.

It seems to me that there is most likely a problem with some settings, but I honestly have no idea. This might even be the wrong place, maybe I should be looking for help to fix the laptop, not the tablet.

Has anyone hear of or experienced this problem before? Do you think trying different virtual router applications will work? Help?

I'm really anxious to start playing around with this thing. So far all I've been able to do with my $250 tablet is read the first chapter of Alice...

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
IMO, if you're on a budget, get a cheap wireless router. If not, then get a good wireless router.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe most if not all "virtual router applications" create an Ad-Hoc wifi to share your internet with other devices like tablets and phones. The problem is that the Nexus 7 and I believe JellyBean in general can't use Ad-Hoc networks. So basically go get a cheap wifi router or explore Bluetooth as another option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith