Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: Questions about OTG cable, Stickmount, and Nexus Media Importer

Is it normal that when using non-root/otg/Nexus Media Importer, usbstick drop off all the time. Very frequently NMI give "connection failed, try re-connect"- error.

Quote Originally Posted by Raikku View Post
    Is it normal that when using non-root/otg/Nexus Media Importer, usbstick drop off all the time. Very frequently NMI give "connection failed, try re-connect"- error.
    Sounds like loose connection/bad cable.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Sounds like loose connection/bad cable.
    Agree. There are a lot of very cheap OTG cables being offered and I find it hard to believe they are quality cables. The connectors are very important as well. Anyway no problems with my set up so far.

I have this cable IVSO Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 Micro USB Host OTG Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    It's very loose when connected, it wobble sideways millimeter or so. Main reason to that, I guess, is that connector's plastic base doesn't touch Nexus's side around connector, so it's not supported against movement.

Maybe all otg-cables does that same, I dont' know. Of course I could try to customize that connector a little to make it more sturdy/stable.

The help page says that the Nexus cannot power big things like hard drives. Try a drive with a separate power supply

Mine has read/written to a 1Tb Western Digital Elements portable HDD in an emergency using Stickmount Pro. It works, but you only get about half an hour out of the Nexus' battery.
    Thanked by:

I could never get Nexus Media importer to work with my rooted 32G Nexus 7 4G. I got Stickmount to work fine though. I have a 4 gig, 8 gig and 32 gig flash drives, the 4 and the 8 work fine, the 32 mounts, it won't read the files on the drive or let me write to it.

I have a problem. I got the OTG cable, and a few pen drives to check it, all formatted to fat32. I checked the otg cable using a mouse and gamepad and it worked. I downloaded nexus photo viewer and it shows my pen drive and folders but nexus media importer doesn't and it keeps saying timed out. I tried uninstalling photo viewer but that doesn't help either. Any help would be great :-) thanks

Is your Nexus a 4G? Media Importer never worked with mine, a 4G. However, Nexus Photo viewer DID work no problem. I rooted and Stick Mount worked perfectly.

No my nexus is Wi-Fi only. And I really don't want to root my phone

- - - Updated - - -

No my nexus is Wi-Fi only.
    Last edited by Regan Singh; 07-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.

I don't know, I've read about about a lot of people who have problems, it seems that NMI either works or not, and if it doesn't, there seems to be no fix. Please let me know if you resolve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD60 View Post
    I could never get Nexus Media importer to work with my rooted 32G Nexus 7 4G. I got Stickmount to work fine though. I have a 4 gig, 8 gig and 32 gig flash drives, the 4 and the 8 work fine, the 32 mounts, it won't read the files on the drive or let me write to it.
    If your 32Gb isn't working properly, it may be formatted NTFS. The Play store Stickmount app has links to the NTFS drivers to install on the N7 for NTFS read/write access.
    Thanked by:

I checked last night, my 32 gig flash drive is fat 32.

Cool Re: Questions about OTG cable, Stickmount, and Nexus Media Importer

Can I download an android 4.3 app. for my Nexus 7 FHD to Windows 7 x64 and my thumb drive ? Then use Nexus Media importer?

Red face Re: Questions about OTG cable, Stickmount, and Nexus Media Importer

Decided not to root because of the warranty. Almost tempted but installed NMI and TWRP. Had read a search article that said TWRP would work without rooting. No go on that one. Really need to find a good backup ap. Used the stock backup function sent it to clous dropbox somewhere I guess this will work. Also NMI does write to FAT and some say also NTFS if rooted (or not) Just had my N7 2013 a week. Great little device a miracle worker. Just need a few tweaks. Just seems to take time. Does work with external drives with OTG & NMI. Formatted a FAT partition on simple NTFS portable 500 GB Seagate without loosing data. Although I did back the disk up just in case. Plan to delete that backup-- Any way still reading forums, etc. Learning a lot about N7.

I've just bought the Nexus Media Importer, tried it with a Sandisk Cruzer USB stick, but for the life of me I can't get it to do anything. It keeps telling me to disconnect the OTG cable
    Any ideas will be gratefully received folks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Just a thought my Cruzer stick is protected? Does anyone think that may be the trouble? :-/

Sent from my Sony Xperia SP using TapaTalk 4 HD

I also am new to the Nexus 7 and Android. I can get mp4 files to play direct from the thumb drive but avi's etc want to copy to the nexus storage and won't play direct from the flash drive. Am I missing something?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12