Questions about OTG cable, Stickmount, and Nexus Media Importer

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I've been reading here and there about how to use a OTG cable and flash drive with the Nexus 7. From what I can gather, if you use Stickmount, you need to be rooted. I really don't want to root if I don't have to because I'm not an Android guru and I'm afraid I'll f up my N7. However, I don't think that Nexus Media Importer needs root access. Can anyone verify that? Is anyone using Nexus Media Importer with an OTG cable/flash drive combo without root? I just want to be able to watch movies on the rare occasion I'm out of wifi access without loading them onto the device. Are there any other apps I'll need to watch movies from the flash drive? Also, is there a cloud option to upload your own movies to stream to the N7 while I'm in a wifi area? I'm trying to resist the urge to replace my 16gb device with the 32 when it comes out since 1) the times I'll need this outside of wifi range will be rare 2) my device is paid for, warrantied by SquareTrade and set up the way I want it so I don't want to start from scratch with a new device.

Thanks!

Lazer1

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying my Nexus 7 tomorrow when the 32GB hits the streets. Media Importer is your answer. It's on the Play Store for $2.99. I can't say that I've used it but it claims you don't have to be rooted.

Zapflashgone

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Media Importer works fine. No root.
You can only import onto the device though. No off-loading. Can't say that has been much of a problem for me at least.
Load a sock full of stuff on a 16g stick and clip it on your keychain. Delete from device for space [if that's an issue]... Reload as needed and you will always have something to play/watch/read.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So you can't play it directly off the flash drive? It has to be loaded onto the N7 and then played?

I did figure out how to put a movie on to Google Drive but it takes a heck of a long time and then, of course, you need to have access to wifi.

DavdEBSmith

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Noooo, you can play movies directly off the external flash drive with Nexus Media Importer without copying onto the N7. You just hit "stream". From the NMI FAQ:

NMI can stream videos in the following formats: mp4, mkv, avi, wmv, mov, ts, m2ts, m2t, mts, m4v, ogv, asf and srt. (f4v, flv and rmvb coming soon). It currently cannot see mpg videos.

You need to install a more capable player than stock. I use MX Player and Dice Player; occasionally there will be something about the format of the file one likes but the other one tolerates - I had some HD videos from one of those Flip-like camcorders that one of the two players (don't remember which) didn't like the audio codec on. If it doesn't play on one, play on the other.

BTW, the OTG cable from Monoprice worked fine for me.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Never really bothered with streaming media from the OTG cable, what is a music player that can handle it from in app? I can open each individual file but I would prefer to open the app and have it see the files on the otg/drive.

jrnolly

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer is still in beta. Maybe we will see those options in the next version? But it works slick the way it is for streaming movies off a stick, if you only have an 8 or 16 gig Nexus 7 and want a 32 or 64 gig library with you. Also, the OTG cable can be used to control a number of Nikon and Canon cameras, with some camera aps.

John

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 7 Media Importer does not need root and works very well to stream movies. I have an OTG cable with a right angle which lets the flash drive hang back behind my Nexus 7 (out of the way and view) when I have it in landscape mode using my multi-angle case. I have a 16 Gig flash drive that is not much bigger then a Micro SD card so it does not add much weight or cause any stress to the USB connector on the Nexus 7. I use MoboPlayer as my movie player of choice at the moment it has played just about any file type I have thrown at it.

run12

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My OTG cables coming next week but what you fellows mentioned seems the way to go without rooting and when you have no wifi.. Yy question is besides streaming the video can I also use the Nexus Media Importer to move files off my flash drive to the Nexus. I'm going to have lots of room as it's 32 gb so wanted to put some movies on the Nexus7

pjiffy

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to both the Nexus 7 and Android, so new in fact, I don't even have it yet, it's coming Friday (9th Nov). Anyways, it's a 16 Gb model I'm getting. For my normal needs, and budget, that's fine. Once in a blue moon however, I could be away from home for a day or two. Am I understanding the threads in this post correctly, that if I buy an OTG cable, I can take extra content, some movies and shows, on a thumb drive, then when I've watched the ones I have on the Nexus, I can delete them without using a computer, stick the cable into the Nexus mini-usb port, stick the thumb drive in the other end, and upload the files to the Nexus and watch them? Also, just out of curiosity, what does OTG stand for? One last question, my main machine at home is an iMac. Presumably I can put content on the Nexus just using Finder, or is there an app for that?

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, just out of curiosity, what does OTG stand for?
On-The-Go but in my experience people say On-The-Go about as often as they say Universal Serial Bus. :D

When you connect an iPod to a computer, the iPod acts like a storage device and the computer is the master or host device. The Nexus 7 normally behaves the same way. When you use an OTG cable, that tells the Nexus 7 that it is in charge, and it's connected to a USB mouse, thumb drive, or similar device rather than to a host computer.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to both the Nexus 7 and Android, so new in fact, I don't even have it yet, it's coming Friday (9th Nov). Anyways, it's a 16 Gb model I'm getting. For my normal needs, and budget, that's fine. Once in a blue moon however, I could be away from home for a day or two. Am I understanding the threads in this post correctly, that if I buy an OTG cable, I can take extra content, some movies and shows, on a thumb drive, then when I've watched the ones I have on the Nexus, I can delete them without using a computer, stick the cable into the Nexus mini-usb port, stick the thumb drive in the other end, and upload the files to the Nexus and watch them? Also, just out of curiosity, what does OTG stand for? One last question, my main machine at home is an iMac. Presumably I can put content on the Nexus just using Finder, or is there an app for that?

There's no need to move the videos or content to the N7 from the thumb drive, you can play them directly from the thumb drive. The only reason I can think of to do it the way you say (install, watch and then delete), is to avoid having the OTG and thumb drive dangling from the unit when you're watching. You also can't hook up power to the N7 with the OTG cable attached so that might be an issue at times.

pjiffy

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, your answers make me more confident about getting the tablet. The other thing your answers made me realise is that I can use the tablet as extra storage when I'm out and about with my camera. I have a Sony Nex 5N and a couple of 8Gb SD cards, which I can easily fill and then some, as I normally shoot raw and jpeg combined. I could though, use the USB SD card adapter I got, to upload the jpegs every so often, to free up some space, and, allow me to check the shots on a bigger screen, maybe even get an app to do a little editing, then bluetooth back to my phone to send out via 3G. I think I should prolly slow down a little, every time I think of the Nexus I come up with even more uses for it.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, your answers make me more confident about getting the tablet. The other thing your answers made me realise is that I can use the tablet as extra storage when I'm out and about with my camera. I have a Sony Nex 5N and a couple of 8Gb SD cards, which I can easily fill and then some, as I normally shoot raw and jpeg combined. I could though, use the USB SD card adapter I got, to upload the jpegs every so often, to free up some space, and, allow me to check the shots on a bigger screen, maybe even get an app to do a little editing, then bluetooth back to my phone to send out via 3G. I think I should prolly slow down a little, every time I think of the Nexus I come up with even more uses for it.

Thanks for a great idea. I hadn't even thought of that. I use a Canon EOS T2i and hate trying to look at the pictures on the back screen. I'll give that a try and report back.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If your camera supports mtp, you can simply connect your camera to your n7 using the otg cable directly. This does not require root.

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If your camera supports mtp, you can simply connect your camera to your n7 using the otg cable directly. This does not require root.

Great idea. Some cameras have slower USB interfaces than a dedicated card reader, but it's convenient not to carry yet another thing while out and about.

hellhole

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I notice u use a Mac at home. A fat32 thumb drive/portable HHD will have a 4g limit per file. Meaning if u have a Hugh 5g file. U wouldnt be able to copy to that from your Mac to your 8g thumb.

The way to overcome that isntp format that HHD disc to exfat format. Then no restriction. BUT!!!! Nexus 7 do not support exfat formatted HHD. :) damm Mac I say... dammm u. Hahahah

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
The N7 does support NTFS if it's rooted when using USB OTG Helper. A few users say exFAT is also supported but I haven't tried yet.

Sent from a tablet, using an app that I purchased from an app store that appends this signature below my post to make me look superior in social status to everyone else.

silver coupe

Aug 17, 2012
Visit site
i have the 16Gig version and am out of memory. some games like Horn or Dark Knight take up over a gig. i bought the OTG cabe, can i move these games to my 32 gig thumb drive and play them from there?, and if so how do i get updates for these games?