Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

ROM
    Arctic HD

Default Re: When are we getting 4.2?

What's better than swype?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post

Swiftkey?

The 4.2 keyboard is faster than the latest version of Swype I used (this past June), but it takes a bit to get used to.

I haven't used swype in a while, last I used was slideIT keyboard but the gesture word prediction seems to be pretty good. The floating word prediction is nice, I do not have to move my eyes away from the keyboard. In this ahem preview edition, there is no way to scale the keyboard which I would like to see. Otherwise this feels real smooth and accurate. It's developed by Google while swype is STILL in beta.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D

Quote Originally Posted by a1kemist View Post
    I'm liking the gesture keyboard so far.. I like how the words spawn on the keyboard to ensure I'm typing the correct word.

yup and its unique. well done google.
    a1kemist likes this.

I'm really digging this update. I wonder if different accounts can use separate launchers?

Quote Originally Posted by limatime42 View Post
    I'm really digging this update. I wonder if different accounts can use separate launchers?
    I am almost certain that you can use it that way from my understanding about how multiuser works in 4.2.
    Last edited by still1; 10-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing then, I've been looking for Wireless display adapter. I have seen the Netgear box though, will that do the job?

NETGEAR PTV2000 Push2TV HD-TV Adapter or NETGEAR PTV3000 Push2TV HD-TV Adapter? Apologies for my ignorance, I'm nowhere near as tech savvy as some of the folk on here....
    Last edited by JimboDeany; 10-31-2012 at 05:52 AM.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Yes. Just look for anything that supports Miracast

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

Quote Originally Posted by JimboDeany View Post
    Perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing then, I've been looking for Wireless display adapter. I have seen the Netgear box though, will that do the job?

NETGEAR PTV2000 Push2TV HD-TV Adapter or NETGEAR PTV3000 Push2TV HD-TV Adapter? Apologies for my ignorance, I'm nowhere near as tech savvy as some of the folk on here....
    Yeah, you're going to have to be sure the adapter supports Miracast, which is pretty new. The netgear box is the only one I've seen so far. Someone linked to a place that had it for like $60 in another thread...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

Swiftkey is way better. Swype is great for 1 handed typing while you're driving, but hey, that's illegal. I like typing with 2 thumbs and Swype is TERRIBLE at that. Swiftkey completely blows almost all keyboards out of the water. It's text prediction and correction is simply amazing.
    Possible Errors Between Keyboard And Chair.

I've so far only been able to find the Netgear boxes in America, not been able to find any for sale in the UK, very weird. Don't really fancy paying the shipping from the US.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    Swiftkey is way better. Swype is great for 1 handed typing while you're driving, but hey, that's illegal. I like typing with 2 thumbs and Swype is TERRIBLE at that. Swiftkey completely blows almost all keyboards out of the water. It's text prediction and correction is simply amazing.
    I use swift key 3 on my phone and tablet. But I was referring to the new Google gesture keyboard and if it was better

I like typing with 2 thumbs and Swype is TERRIBLE at that.
    That's because you only use one finger to swype..

Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Sprint EVO 3D

I agree, Swiftkey is my favorite keyboard... but I do not use it. I like to glide, so I use Swype. I was excited about the recently announced glide option on SwiftKey, but now I am even more excited about the stock keyboard including the ability to glide. I'm all about uninstalling some 3rd party keyboard apps, if the stock one does what I want

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
    I agree, Swiftkey is my favorite keyboard... but I do not use it. I like to glide, so I use Swype. I was excited about the recently announced glide option on SwiftKey, but now I am even more excited about the stock keyboard including the ability to glide. I'm all about uninstalling some 3rd party keyboard apps, if the stock one does what I want
    I got excited when I heard about swiftkey glide but now I want to use Google gesture instead. Looking forward to the finished product.

After using a swiping method, I can't go back to tap, tap, tapping.

Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Sprint EVO 3D

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

This is big...

4.2 has the ability to scan side loaded apps for malware...

http://bit.ly/RBWzIZ

4.2 is looking sweeter by the day...

Eduardo06sp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by a1kemist View Post
    I got excited when I heard about swiftkey glide but now I want to use Google gesture instead. Looking forward to the finished product.

After using a swiping method, I can't go back to tap, tap, tapping.

Same here. I don't know how someone can just tap away. I also use a stylus and I don't think people realize how slow it is typing with one.

BTW I have swiftkey now and it sucks. It never predicts anything correctly and if I want to use the text prediction I have to press a letter, see if my word was predicted and if not then I have to push the next letter, then again look for the prediction in the box and then repeat 3 times before it gets the right word. It takes less time just typing everything out.

The net gear unit that works with it is only like 59 bucks.

I got the NetGear PTV3000 that was the $59 device. I am still on Android 4.1.2 and it will connect to the PTV3000 but and I can see the PTV3000 screen on my HDTV. Problem is I think we need the Miracast/WIDI support that comes from Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000 but it doesn't log in at this point where I confirm my password of the wifi to make the handshake. Had the same issue on my new ASUS laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8 and right now I hate Windows 8 since it didn't fix the WIDI issue but gave me 50 new problems to correct.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Yeah.. It comes with 4.2.. I thought that was covered already?

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    I got the NetGear PTV3000 that was the $59 device. I am still on Android 4.1.2 and it will connect to the PTV3000 but and I can see the PTV3000 screen on my HDTV. Problem is I think we need the Miracast/WIDI support that comes from Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000 but it doesn't log in at this point where I confirm my password of the wifi to make the handshake. Had the same issue on my new ASUS laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8 and right now I hate Windows 8 since it didn't fix the WIDI issue but gave me 50 new problems to correct.
    i would like to hear more about it when 4.2 is released for Nexus devices. because i am planning to buy one too. Miracast is cool.

my question is can i share screens? can i share just video and music and at the same time lock my phone screen or do something else on phone?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123