Why buy a Nexus Tablet? You can't watch videos on it

RichardRight

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Let me add that your headline is misleading. Even without Flash there are plenty of ways to watch videos on the nexus 7. I watch Video on netflix, hulu plus, crackle, droid TV, TV.com and more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
IOS already found a solution. The website detects that it is an IOS device and uses an HTML5 version of the website.

that's where you are mistaken. its not IOS that's is doing the redirect. its the website which is redirecting.

if BBC website detect Android tablet and redirect then it will work on Nexus tablet too.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
that's where you are mistaken. its not IOS that's is doing the redirect. its the website which is redirecting.

if BBC website detect Android tablet and redirect then it will work on Nexus tablet too.

True. However, as it stands now, the website detects Android, and sends us to the Flash based sight not HTML5 version.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I am a diehard Android fan. I currently own a GS3 my fifth Android device. But it is frustrating that when you visit a website like CNN or ESPN, you can't watch the websites videos because they run adobe flash. How can you own a tablet that does not play videos from a website?

IOS has a solution that would work for Android. When a website detects an IOS device, it sends the device to an HTML5 version of the website. Android could do this too.

As always, Android has a solution for this. Go back to your cave you iOS troll.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
There's an incredibly simple fix to this, but you can't use Chrome. The only situation I come across where I'm reminded that Flash isn't compatible is when I'm using a newsfeed app like Flipboard, and I'm not able to watch the video directly on the app.

Random question--do Youtube videos sometimes not work on Chrome for you guys? Not sure if it's video-specific, but sometimes when I try to watch Youtube content on Chrome (don't care for the YT app) it doesn't work because it says it requires Flash..

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I use a brilliant little known browser called Boat Browser. Went to Adobe's developer link to download the last flash apk and now flash works brilliantly with my new N7. No rooting needed, no special hacks.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk2.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I installed Flash on my GS3. I want a non flash solution in our now non flash mobile world.

You're really griping about a site/Adobe problem.
1) the web site designers have to avoid Flash. All the web sites I've helped people develop haven't used flash in 3 YEARS. I saw it was going to be dead soon enough after HTML5 got popular.
2) Adobe stopped supporting Flash on Android.

So now you know the true causes. Go bug both of these people (Adobe and the web site developers). It's not a Nexus device's fault. And we have a workaround as others have mentioned...Boat browser + flash APK works fine for me...

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Very true. I really want to buy a Nexus tablet device. I installed flash on my GS3, and it only works ok. I can't buy a tablet that can not run videos from most websites. This sucks!!!

Yeah, Apple has been having problems selling that thing called ipad... after all it doesn't support flash...

gimmemyphone

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You can actually trigger this code by getting a browser that allows you to alter the signature sent to the server, and setting your browser signature to look like Safari on iOS for sites that have this functionality.
Outstanding idea. Can you explain how to do this? I am currently using Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet with Flash player. I would love to navigate to the html5 version of sites like ESPN. Right now, Flash player is loading the mobile content, which may look normal on a phone screen, however quality is terrible on a tablet size screen. Wife has an iPAD and its no comparison. ESPN web video content is crystal clear. Help me to stop using my wifes iPAD to surf the web. :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
And all those sites would have to do is detect Android and use HTML5.

Or just code the site in HTML 5 anyways.... that way they don't have to distinguish between a mobile or desktop device, etc. Those lines are going to blur more and the web should move on.

skyrockett

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
As far as i know flash is just player. The video is still mpeg-4 or h.264 whenever i see flash window i just click on it anyway and it plays either inside the browser(which i think done by html5) or it opens in third party player like mx player and it just streams the video. So no problem there.. Not sure why you complain.. And even if some guy who goes to all trouble converting an original video to the raw flash and uploading it is just an *****. Unless of course he has some weird format that needs to be converted in order for flash player to play. But why on earth you would convert it to only raw flash if you could just converted it to mpeg-4 which way flexible to work with in the first place.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
IOS has a solution that would work for Android. When a website detects an IOS device, it sends the device to an HTML5 version of the website. Android could do this too.
That is not an IOS solution. That is a web designer's solution. It is case by case which web designer will cater to your device. The same web page could easily direct all android devices to the same html5 source, but it s up to the web designer to implement it.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Or just code the site in HTML 5 anyways.... that way they don't have to distinguish between a mobile or desktop device, etc. Those lines are going to blur more and the web should move on.

This would be correct, but I have to assume that they are ether lazy with recoding their entire site, or there are some legacy issues that are not easily translated to html5 for their specific site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair