Why buy a Nexus Tablet? You can't watch videos on it

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I am a diehard Android fan. I currently own a GS3 my fifth Android device. But it is frustrating that when you visit a website like CNN or ESPN, you can't watch the websites videos because they run adobe flash. How can you own a tablet that does not play videos from a website?

IOS has a solution that would work for Android. When a website detects an IOS device, it sends the device to an HTML5 version of the website. Android could do this too.

Last edited:

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It has nothing to do with the Tablet, Adobe no longer supports Flash on mobile devices. That means no more new Flash software, no more updates, etc.

Can't blame the Tablet or OS for this one...

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You can use flash, by referring to the stickied post on it. Also, it is for all devices from JB up, so it's not Google's decision.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Very true. I really want to buy a Nexus tablet device. I installed flash on my GS3, and it only works ok. I can't buy a tablet that can not run videos from most websites. This sucks!!!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Very true. I am really want to buy a Nexus tablet device. I installed flash on my GS3, and it only works ok. I can't buy a tablet that can not run videos from most websites. This sucks!!!

So follow the link and a few posts up and set up the workaround. It's not hard!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I am a diehard Android fan. I currently own a GS3 my fifth Android device. But it is frustrating that when you visit a website like CNN or ESPN, you can't watch the websites videos because they run adobe flash. How can you own a tablet that does not play videos from a website?

IOS has a solution that would work for Android. When a website detects an IOS device, it sends the device to an HTML5 version of the website. Android could do this too.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

it's simple to use flash on the N7.

download and install flash 11.1 apk.

download a browser such as Dolphin 8.5.1 APK and set it to NOT update or you will get the latest dolphin which does NOT do flash.

I keep those APK files in my Dropbox...

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't buy a tablet that can not run videos from most websites. This sucks!!!

Since Adobe has pulled support for Flash from ALL mobile devices and tablets over ALL platforms, I fear you're in for some major disappointment across the entire universe of tablets. Sorry.

There is some possible hope in the form of the Ubuntu (desktop Linux) build that can run on the Nexus Seven. It's still in the early testing stages, and I don't know if it supports Flash yet.

In the meantime, you may want to look into a netbook or other small device that runs Linux, Windows, MacOS, or some other operating system that Adobe still offers Flash Player for.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I hear you with Flash and argee but it is Adobe fault. However you picked two bad examples since I watch ESPN with the "Watch ESPN" all the time. CNN has one also and they are both free. Now Watch ESPN I have to use my cable provider to get it for free but that is ESPN's choice but I can watch any College game on it that ESPN has on any of their channels.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Since Adobe has pulled support for Flash from ALL mobile devices and tablets over ALL platforms, I fear you're in for some major disappointment across the entire universe of tablets. Sorry.

There is some possible hope in the form of the Ubuntu (desktop Linux) build that can run on the Nexus Seven. It's still in the early testing stages, and I don't know if it supports Flash yet.

In the meantime, you may want to look into a netbook or other small device that runs Linux, Windows, MacOS, or some other operating system that Adobe still offers Flash Player for.

IOS already found a solution. The website detects that it is an IOS device and uses an HTML5 version of the website.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

your comments are off base. Flash works on the n7.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Actually, technically, iOS does not have this workaround. Each website has to detect iOS and redirect to an HTML5 version of the site. Which means those poor authors have to maintain two versions of their site, one for iOS and one for the rest of the world. This is due, in part, to Apple's long-standing policy of not allowing Flash on iOS at all from day one, even though Adobe wanted it there. Given the popularity of iOS, web sites who wanted to remain relevant to iOS users needed to adapt or die. But they needed to keep a Flash version "for everyone else" since HTML5 was not universally supported.

You can actually trigger this code by getting a browser that allows you to alter the signature sent to the server, and setting your browser signature to look like Safari on iOS for sites that have this functionality.

The pendulum is still swinging away from Flash and toward HTML5 as more desktop browsers fully support HTML5.

What will eventually happen, hopefully, is those sites will simply only offer an HTML5 version as people get off desktop browsers that do not yet support HTML5, and the Flash version, if it exists at all, will be considered the "legacy" version of the site and will only be offered to people whose web browsers are too old to support HTML5.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
your comments are off base. Flash works on the n7.

Correct. However, you misunderstand my point. I was replying to someone who is unwilling to take the steps to install Flash and wanted native support. Ain't gonna happen.

I am fully aware that my Nexus Seven supports Flash. I even use this functionality on occasion. I also understand that it is not going to last too terribly much further - I've danced this dance before when Adobe started playing footsie with pulling support for Flash on Linux, and having Flash 9 on my Linux box with a whole boodle of sites telling me I needed to upgrade to Flash 10 (which, of course, was not available for Linux).

Adobe WILL come out with Flash 12, web sites WILL start to use its features, and our much-beloved APKs WILL stop supporting more and more sites as the Flash world moves on past us.

It's inevitable. We're living on borrowed time, and I can only hope that the few Flash-based sites I find useful will decide to go to HTML5 instead of Flash 12, or that a competitor with the same information will emerge.

watchout4d

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, technically, iOS does not have this workaround. Each website has to detect iOS and redirect to an HTML5 version of the site. Which means those poor authors have to maintain two versions of their site, one for iOS and one for the rest of the world. This is due, in part, to Apple's long-standing policy of not allowing Flash on iOS at all from day one, even though Adobe wanted it there. Given the popularity of iOS, web sites who wanted to remain relevant to iOS users needed to adapt or die. But they needed to keep a Flash version "for everyone else" since HTML5 was not universally supported.

You can actually trigger this code by getting a browser that allows you to alter the signature sent to the server, and setting your browser signature to look like Safari on iOS for sites that have this functionality.

The pendulum is still swinging away from Flash and toward HTML5 as more desktop browsers fully support HTML5.

What will eventually happen, hopefully, is those sites will simply only offer an HTML5 version as people get off desktop browsers that do not yet support HTML5, and the Flash version, if it exists at all, will be considered the "legacy" version of the site and will only be offered to people whose web browsers are too old to support HTML5.

Great post. How soon do you think this will happen if you have an opinion on a timeline?

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Correct. However, you misunderstand my point. I was replying to someone who is unwilling to take the steps to install Flash and wanted native support. Ain't gonna happen.

I am fully aware that my Nexus Seven supports Flash. I even use this functionality on occasion. I also understand that it is not going to last too terribly much further - I've danced this dance before when Adobe started playing footsie with pulling support for Flash on Linux, and having Flash 9 on my Linux box with a whole boodle of sites telling me I needed to upgrade to Flash 10 (which, of course, was not available for Linux).

Adobe WILL come out with Flash 12, web sites WILL start to use its features, and our much-beloved APKs WILL stop supporting more and more sites as the Flash world moves on past us.

It's inevitable. We're living on borrowed time, and I can only hope that the few Flash-based sites I find useful will decide to go to HTML5 instead of Flash 12, or that a competitor with the same information will emerge.

LOL if they are unwilling, they are screwed. :)

blitzen89

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Apple doesn't make the mirrored sites, the content providers do... they basically have an iOS compatible site, and then a normal one for everyone else...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois