Android 4.2 broadcast the contents of phone/tablet to HDTV with a Miracast

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Now I may start buying movies for my N7 if this works out well.

"Miracast, the wireless display standard, makes its first appearance in Android. On supported devices running Android 4.2, you can broadcast the contents of your phone or tablet screen to an HDTV with a Miracast-compatible wireless HDMI adapter attached. We'll be looking at this further as we begin to review Android 4.2-equipped devices, since testing external display capability is part of our standard review process for mobile products."

Android 4.2 Still 'Jelly Bean' Gets Miracast, Photo Spheres | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

This unit is only $59

Push2TV now supports Intel WiDi and the new Miracast Wireless Display standard, so you can wirelessly display more of your devices on TV, up to 1080p HD.

Buy.com - NETGEAR PTV3000 Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was looking for a solution like this on my Android. even thought of those hdmi android device but they are inefficient.

when i saw this yesterday i was happy. now all we need is a good portable device.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Now I may start buying movies for my N7 if this works out well.

"Miracast, the wireless display standard, makes its first appearance in Android. On supported devices running Android 4.2, you can broadcast the contents of your phone or tablet screen to an HDTV with a Miracast-compatible wireless HDMI adapter attached. We'll be looking at this further as we begin to review Android 4.2-equipped devices, since testing external display capability is part of our standard review process for mobile products."

Android 4.2 Still 'Jelly Bean' Gets Miracast, Photo Spheres | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

This unit is only $59

Push2TV now supports Intel WiDi and the new Miracast Wireless Display standard, so you can wirelessly display more of your devices on TV, up to 1080p HD.

Buy.com - NETGEAR PTV3000 Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter

Your device needs to support it in hardware I believe as well. Not sure if the original Nexus 7 supports this or not. Does anyone know?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Your device needs to support it in hardware I believe as well. Not sure if the original Nexus 7 supports this or not. Does anyone know?

No I'm not sure that my N7 will be supported but my new ASUS laptop with Intel 3rd Gen Intel I5 Will Support Miracast. Worst case is for $59 I can go from my laptop to the TV. Bonus is both my N7 and laptop can stream to that Miracast.

Intel's New Wireless Display 3.5 Will Support Miracast

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Ok, here is my understanding but i might be wrong. i am doing some research on this now.

TV/External display need miracast hardware support which is the device listed by OP. but the portable device only need wifi/wifi direct support and miracast implemented in software

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my understanding is that the device hooked to the tv (the netgear) is the one that has to support it. We would connect our 7s to it wirelessly

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You have to have Android 4.2 for Miracast Wireless Display standard and that os version hasn't been released yet. That still gives me hope it will be supported since Google put that in 4.2 for something.

Addition to your point, Google or Asus has to apply for miracast certificate with Wifi Alliance and then the device will be displayed on their website.

thats doesnt mean it wont work without the device certificate

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks just ordered my NETGEAR PTV3000 Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter and that site I linked was the cheapest price I found.

Awesome. Guinea pig!
I've been meaning to get that since my thinkpad laptop can also do WiDi supposedly and the Galaxy S3 can. Let us know how you like it...

JimboDeany

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
This is something that I am looking into also, much easier than messing around with wires. If we get the update and anyone wants to test it out then a review would be much appreciated :eek:)

kgdg

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
This is great news as now, I have an answer to my isheep friend's 'Apple has Airplay' argument...!
One question though:
I have a AV receiver plugged in to the TV, let's say I attach this Miracast adapter to the receiver HDMI input.
Now, if I want to watch a movie purchased on Play Store OR watch a youtube video on my TV (streamed from my N7 or SGN), I have to:
1 - turn on av receiver
2 - turn on tv
3 - switch receiver to the HDMI input to which I have attached the Miracast dongle
4 - direct the video output from my N7 to the receiver
Is this correct?

Also, with this setup, would Google Music or Pandora work? i.e. if I start Pandora on my N7, I can direct that to the receiver (still have to turn on receiver and switch receiver to the correct hdmi input, no need to turn on tv).?

Thanks in advance,
KG
ANd yes, I will probably be using an app to turn on my Denon receiver and switch the input, otoh there is no app to turn on the tv yet...

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is great news as now, I have an answer to my isheep friend's 'Apple has Airplay' argument...!
One question though:
I have a AV receiver plugged in to the TV, let's say I attach this Miracast adapter to the receiver HDMI input.
Now, if I want to watch a movie purchased on Play Store OR watch a youtube video on my TV (streamed from my N7 or SGN), I have to:
1 - turn on av receiver
2 - turn on tv
3 - switch receiver to the HDMI input to which I have attached the Miracast dongle
4 - direct the video output from my N7 to the receiver
Is this correct?

Also, with this setup, would Google Music or Pandora work? i.e. if I start Pandora on my N7, I can direct that to the receiver (still have to turn on receiver and switch receiver to the correct hdmi input, no need to turn on tv).?

Thanks in advance,
KG
ANd yes, I will probably be using an app to turn on my Denon receiver and switch the input, otoh there is no app to turn on the tv yet...
yes, that would be correct. thats how it would work.

miracase can share the screen on TV. now sure how videos and audio works. if screen can be shared i believe audio can be played from the app to TV

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
What if I want to stream from my N7 to my HTPC running Windows 7? How would that work? I'm assuming I would only need Android 4.2 on the N7 and some supporting software on the HTPC... anybody have any ideas what to look for?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae