Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: Android 4.2 broadcast the contents of phone/tablet to HDTV with a Miracast

Quote Originally Posted by JimboDeany View Post
    How can I check if my laptop supports this? I only got it last year so I'm assuming it will.
    You need Windows 7 then click the Start and type in WiDi in the search, if it shows up you have it.

Default Re: Android 4.2 broadcast the contents of phone/tablet to HDTV with a Miracast

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    dont forget this gadget support multiple devices.. you can push to TV using your laptop too.
    Fak yeah. No more 20ft hdmmi cords sprawled all over the house to be able to stream movies from my lappy.

Edit..... I just read this will need wifi which I don't have. Why can't they just make things that use Bluetooth so I don't have to get wifi for 40 dollars a month. Not everyone has the privilege of having wifi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Arctic HD

How are you posting right now.... Lmao

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

Quote Originally Posted by carracerz14 View Post
    How are you posting right now.... Lmao

Lol. I'm at work and we get free WiFi.

ROM
    Arctic HD

Understandable. Internet isn't cheap. They are just coming to install it at my house Monday. 29.99 for 6 months the God knows what after. It's decent speed though 20-30 mbps.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

I got the NetGear PTV3000 that was the $59 device. I am still on Android 4.1.2 and it will connect to the PTV3000 but and I can see the PTV3000 screen on my HDTV. Problem is I think we need the Miracast/WIDI support that comes from Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000 but it doesn't log in at this point where I confirm my password of the wifi to make the handshake. Had the same issue on my new ASUS laptop that I upgraded to Windows 8 and right now I hate Windows 8 since it didn't fix the WIDI issue but gave me 50 new problems to correct.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Fak yeah. No more 20ft hdmmi cords sprawled all over the house to be able to stream movies from my lappy.

Edit..... I just read this will need wifi which I don't have. Why can't they just make things that use Bluetooth so I don't have to get wifi for 40 dollars a month. Not everyone has the privilege of having wifi.

I have the Netgear PTV3000 and it is a WiFi device from your N7 to the HDMI on your TV. I think we need Android 4.2 since I can connect my N7 to the PTV3000's Wi-Fi but can't get the handshake to start streaming a movie on my N7 to the PTV3000. Android 4.2 had the Miracast support and I hope that fixes it.

If I can get this to work then I can download movies from Play Store that are on the N7 and watch them on my HDTV.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    dont forget this gadget support multiple devices.. you can push to TV using your laptop too.
    Well I have a brand new two month old ASUS with a 3rd Gen Intel I5 processor and it looks like it doesn't support WiDi since it connects to my PTV3000 but doesn't stream video or do the password handshake. Looks like my new laptop doesn't support WiDi in the Wi-Fi wireless adapter inside the laptop... BTW, I see ASUS has some laptops that does say they support WiDi but can't find that on my new laptop.

From Intel;

How to tell if you already have a compatible PC?

Type WiDi in your Windows* search bar
    If your PC has built in Intel® WiDi, you will see ‘’Intel® WiDi’’ application in your search results.

How to Connect Laptop to TV with Intel® Wireless Display (WiDi)

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Well I have a brand new two month old ASUS with a 3rd Gen Intel I5 processor and it looks like it doesn't support WiDi since it connects to my PTV3000 but doesn't stream video or do the password handshake. Looks like my new laptop doesn't support WiDi in the Wi-Fi wireless adapter inside the laptop... BTW, I see ASUS has some laptops that does say they support WiDi but can't find that on my new laptop.

From Intel;

How to tell if you already have a compatible PC?

Type WiDi in your Windows* search bar
    If your PC has built in Intel® WiDi, you will see ‘’Intel® WiDi’’ application in your search results.

How to Connect Laptop to TV with Intel® Wireless Display (WiDi)
    Don't take that to the bank. I have WiFi Direct on my laptop that I'm using right now and 'widi' gives me nothing. I'm running an i3 with a Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post

You don't need wifi internet access, you just need a wifi adapter to send the signal over. With Miracast, you can beam the display from your tablet/computer to your TV using wifi signals, but *not* a wifi network or internet connection at all.
    blitzen89 likes this.

Global Posts
    349 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    And I mean mirroring like AirPlay or exactly how it is demonstrated in the video that was posted in this thread already.
    Ahhh...you want "AirPlay Mirroring". That's exactly the Miracast thing we're trying to get working w/ the Netgear adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by rjj1976 View Post
    I have had the Netgear Push2tv for two days now. I plugged the HDMI cable from it into my home theater system. I have a Lenovo U300S laptop that supports WiDi that works great with the Push2tv.
    Excellent. That was the other reason I wanted to get the Netgear adapter. My Lenovo also supports Miracast. You need the right wifi adapter (a Centrino) as well as the right drivers. If you look at other reviews of older WiDi adapters, you'll see a lot of complaints about how finicky the drivers are...updates make it stop working, sometimes you need reinstalls, etc. Intel pimped WiDi for years, but all this flakiness has kept it from being widely adopted :-(
    I'm hoping Android 4.2 fixes the Miracast issue, but I'd take it w/ a grain of salt....a lot of Android phones are advertised as being compatible w/ Bluetooth LE 4.0 now, but there are no official Android APIs, so it's bastardly 3rd party supported and pretty much only works on some Moto phones w/ some Android versions. If Miracast is going to be like that, I wouldn't hold your hopes up :-(

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

So the adapter is just a usb that you plug in? Could I plug this into a projector and use my Nexus to project a presentation? I'm Googling it, but sometimes the answers here are easier to understand. Thanks!
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

The Netgear PTV3000 is a wi-fi that matchbox size unit plugs into the HDMI cable connected to the TV and uses the Wi-fi to connect to the N7 or a Wi-Di laptop. So far I haven't got it to work but just got the 4.2 update today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM
    Motorola Xoom Running ICS

So anyone have luck trying the Miracast with the nexus 7?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by amsparky View Post
    So the adapter is just a usb that you plug in? Could I plug this into a projector and use my Nexus to project a presentation? I'm Googling it, but sometimes the answers here are easier to understand. Thanks!
    it used HDMI and not a USB. as far as the device which exist now use HDMI. USB port cant display to screen but HDMI can.

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    The Netgear PTV3000 is a wi-fi that matchbox size unit plugs into the HDMI cable connected to the TV and uses the Wi-fi to connect to the N7 or a Wi-Di laptop. So far I haven't got it to work but just got the 4.2 update today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Answer to your question is here Miracast Compliant Devices

Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    So anyone have luck trying the Miracast with the nexus 7?

Answer to your question is here Miracast Compliant Devices

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM

Just read on android police that nexus 7 doesn't support miracast.

WTF not?!

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts
    ROM

Idk but here is the source . It says it may be possible in future updates

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/19/psa-...eless-display/

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    Idk but here is the source . It says it may be possible in future updates

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/19/psa-...eless-display/

I'm guessing the dual-band-wifi-thingamajig.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12