Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Slow YouTube

YouTube is not fun to watch on my N7. It constantly buffers. My laptop does not. Does anyone else have this issue? Am I missing something with the settings of this device? At first I thought that it could be my home Internet connection but like I said, my laptop works fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Slow YouTube

YouTube just sucks. It's not the nexus 7. My laptop on wireless always buffers and so does my wired PC. Seems to happen mostly during primetime night hours.

Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D
    Thanked by:

My PC has the same problem so I wasn't surprised to see it happen on my N7. It does seem to fluctuate though.
    Thanked by:

When it starts buffering I just touch the screen and disable HQ on the lower left corner, only problem is you have to do that to every video you want to watch, I haven't found the setting to turn off HQ as a default.

Sent from planet earth
    Thanked by:

I wish the YouTube app would get itself together. The buffering is horrible sometimes.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA
    Thanked by:

I never watch any videos without turning off the HD first. If I leave it on the Video stops every 5 min. It super annoying and Google needs to fix this.

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by flacousa View Post
    When it starts buffering I just touch the screen and disable HQ on the lower left corner, only problem is you have to do that to every video you want to watch, I haven't found the setting to turn off HQ as a default.

Sent from planet earth
    Thanks for the information. I just turned the HQ off while playing it on the N7. Still buffered but not as much. Still enough to be annoying. At least I know that I am not alone with this issue. Thank you all for the quick responses.

A partial solution is to use a YouTube downloader like Tubemate, download the vids you want to watch first.

Great if you know what you want to watch, not so convenient for casual browsing...
    Thanked by:

I can confirm it is the youtube app or the nexus 10 tablet itself causing the hangups. I recently got the puffin browser with flash and all the videos that were hanging up on the app played with zero hangup in HD through the puffin browser.

I'm not sure if its because puffin works through the cloud and is therefore more efficient than the tablet's processor and RAM or if it's due to the fact that puffin uses flash which the nexus line doesn't use or both. But for the owner of youtube to not even have an app capable of handling the service is pathetic.

Unhappy Re: Slow YouTube

Purchased my Nexus 7 yesterday 16th Feb 2013 and was shocked to find it buffering videos
    On YouTube. I checked with my iPad 1 and that works fine. Very disappointed now, should have bought the iPad mini, grrr

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Easy fix. Go into WiFi in settings then menu then advanced then scroll to WiFi optimization and turn it off. Viola faster WiFi. Yes battery will suffer a tiny bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MikenJill Potter View Post
    Purchased my Nexus 7 yesterday 16th Feb 2013 and was shocked to find it buffering videos
    On YouTube. I checked with my iPad 1 and that works fine. Very disappointed now, should have bought the iPad mini, grrr
    If it's only been a day why don't you pack it in, return the tablet and get what you really want? You will be happy and the rest of us can enjoy our N7s.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KlineAJ View Post
    Easy fix. Go into WiFi in settings then menu then advanced then scroll to WiFi optimization and turn it off. Viola faster WiFi. Yes battery will suffer a tiny bit.

Doesn't fix it for everyone. I have seen many threads on this and the problem persists

Quote Originally Posted by johnwccres View Post
    A partial solution is to use a YouTube downloader like Tubemate, download the vids you want to watch first.

Great if you know what you want to watch, not so convenient for casual browsing...
    Tubemate works awesome. Just watch out that it drops a bunch of malware stuffs on your device. After a couple of test downloads, I uninstalled the app.

I do not have anyproblem with youtube. The internet is very fast, my nexus run smoothly even with HD clip.
    If you watching long movies (>30 minutes) you should wait some ten seconds. It takes very longtime if we what film > 1hr

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

I have never had a problem with YouTube it works fine on my tablet, I know my bros YouTube doesn't always work and mine does on the same network.

I use a modified YouTube client available from xda here:[Mod]OG YouTube 4.4.11 Downloader, All Qualities & Screen Off Playback (v7) - xda-developers

As an added bonus it allows you to download videos and mp3s.

why my youtube is very slow when use wifi

Quote Originally Posted by osman faizal View Post
    why my youtube is very slow when use wifi
    What are your WiFi speeds?