Only charges while turned off

Droid Kitty

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, turned out the USB cable I was using was from a Blackberry. I don't even know where it came from, I've never owned a Blackberry. I think a co-worker may have "borrowed" it from my desk and returned the wrong one. Switched to the cable that came with my GNex and it charges fine now.

I am using the stock charger and I have tried to use the charger for our other Nexus 7 and my SIII. Nothing works. It charges, but only when powered down. I called Asus today and they said that it was an OS problem and I should contact someone else.

Masquerade908

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I know it may seem a little late for replies,but i'm still willing to help out,I know this may seem like it is not it,but i've had this problem before and here is what I did:I had to go to settings>storage>USB Computer Connection>then enable MTP,if it is already enabled,then enable FTP then MTP again,hope this works for you too...

2002sc2

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I know it may seem a little late for replies,but i'm still willing to help out,I know this may seem like it is not it,but i've had this problem before and here is what I did:I had to go to settings>storage>USB Computer Connection>then enable MTP,if it is already enabled,then enable FTP then MTP again,hope this works for you too...

Ran into the same problem the other day after the most recent update. Will only charge when powered off, won't charge or recognize USB connectivity while powered on. Tried a factory reset and tried this fix as well, MTP is selected and when I attempt to select PTP it highlights and locks the device up for about 10 seconds and it reboots and the problem persists.

I've been scouring the Internet for other possible fixes for a few hours, looks like I'll be sending this in for RMA.

Vast and Trunkless

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
This is happening to me as well, and it's a relief to see I'm not the only one.

As a technical person with professional troubleshooting experience, this is almost certainly a software issue tied to the 4.2.2 update I installed recently. I had it on the USB cable charging, installed the update, hooked it back up to the USB cable and it stopped charging. Official charger, MTP on, and it frickin' charges when it's off. Something is happening that is related to the phone OS that is causing it to reject the charge when it is running, and it's leading to the battery being low constantly which I know will wear it out faster. And that concerns me.

At this point I am strongly considering screwing around with downloaded ROMs or maybe even ubuntu for phones, because Google's official release of the software is busted on it's official branded phone. Google released software that caused their flagship "Google experience" phone to break. This sucks.

vjjvjj8

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I thought to try to put custom roms and stuff but it won't let you root it unless it connects to the computer and you can't connect to the computer unless you have the usb working.. its an annoying problem.. google would have to send an update via wifi or something to solve this problem.

Lbar

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Vast and Trunkless/vjjvjj8 I joined just to say I'm in the same position you are. Since the 4.2.2 update my Galaxy Nexus frequently won't take a charge unless I turn the phone off. But, I've found that turning it back on after it starts charging while off results in the phone continuing to charge.

Have any of you called Verizon about this? I'm sure they'll be 0 help as usual. I'll find out soon enough.

Do you both have the stock battery in the phone? I have a Seidio

Lethe64

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, I've also created an account just to keep tabs on this conversation. My GN was working fine and charging while still on. I woke up today to this problem and I've also been searching around the net for a solution. The only way the phone will charge is while it's off. Currently I have it connected to my laptop to charge but of course, the USB won't recognize that there is a device connected. (While it's on)

Anyway, hope this is related to a software issue so that they can fix this. This is a little upsetting and now I'm thinking I might as wel upgrade to the Nexus 4.

:'(

Lethe64

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok so update!

Last night I kept reading to see if there had been any solutions found for this problem. I wasn't really able to find one and so I turned off my phone and connected the charger to it. Today in the morning after waking up, I turned on the phone. To my surprise, it had not charged. I was very upset since now I didn't know what to do and I would have a phone that had only 14% left of battery. Came to the office and read about a possible solution.

Clean out the USB port on the phone (check) and slightly bend the little stick in the middle to the top of the phone towards the screen. Apparently, after so much charging, the little metal sick in the middle tends to bend down. I read that you should slightly bend it up again to straighten it out. Used a letter opener and slightly pushed up.

SUCCESS!! The phone is now charging and the computer can recognize the USB connection. (Edit: Disconnects and reconnects sometimes) As soon as I get home I'm going to plug it into the AC adapter and see if it charges like that as well. Hopefully it does and my days of woe will be over. Hope that helps anyone out there with the same issue.

tl;dr
Bent the little metal bar inside the USB connection of the phone up towards the screen a little. Just a tad. Phone now charges. (still disconnects and reconnects) and is recognized by PC through USB connection. Will check once home to see if AC adapter will also charge phone.

:D

Second update: 10:38.
I had to disconnect the phone for a second and when I went to reconnect it, it wouldn't charge again. I bent the little USB adapter part a little more up and connected the phone again. Works again and is charging again. Also, before the phone would be charging but wouldn't recognize that it was connected to the PC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not....-___________-

Third update: 5:58pm
Ok, so I just got home and I tried to charge the phone through the wall outlet. It didn't work. It works when connected to a PC or MAC through the USB but it isn't always recognized by the machine. It does charge however. :( Guess I need a new phone

Last edited:

rcvx

May 23, 2013
Visit site
cheers,

i was having the same issue on a rooted gs2 with android version 4.1.2. it started from one day to the other.

at first i thought this was a hardware problem, so i just cleaned every contact parts with isopropyl alcohol, but this, although recommended, did not solve anything. the phone only charged while it was off (usb or outlet). if i plugged the usb or electrical cable while the phone was on it would simply get warmer, but wouldn't charge at all.

so after reading lots of threads around the net I noticed that some people have had the problem solved by doing a factory reset (which represents a software issue) or uninstalling some widgets, and this is what i did. i reminded i had downloaded 2 weather apps a couple days before and removed them right away. i also removed every single app i did not use, even games and stuff.

bingo. phone is now charging with the usb plug and the battery is not getting much warmer. still have to try it with the power cable.

hope it helps.

pickles56

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I had this horrible problem since the upgrade to 4.2.2 . I noticed that the tongue in the usb connector was off centre and I used a tiny screwdriver to lever the tongue upward to centrailse it. now I had reliable charging but only with phone off. next I did a factory reset. all ok now.

Arnold Lu Biliran

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Try this for temporary solution. This one works for me.Turn off the device, unplug it. Then plug it back in and wait for the battery image display. Once it is displayed, turn the phone back on. Got this in one of the forums I joined. Good Luck!

Aaron Horning

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried to reset tablet... no luck
tried bending tab up slightly no luck
tried the power button/down volume no luck

i then downloaded "super toolbox 10+" an app ive used before... i cleared the cache then rand the task kill / kill all...and now Nexus 7 charges.... give it a try...clear cache and kill all task. use another app if you dont like 10+....hope it helps!

Rolando Matarrita

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
In my case I had not noticed, but if I wait 50 seconds, the phone detects the charger or computer.
When I disconnect, it takes around 20 secs for the phone to realize that it is not charging anymore.

Thebestandroid

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Do not factory reset it i have the same issue and i tried it and it didn't work.... try getting a new cable(for your phone) and use that make sure its for your phone, it might have the same plug but not the same power so get a new one! if that does not work (which it should) then get a new phone altogether!

Thanks.

Ningappak

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: my device didn't charge and won't recognised to PC while ON, Only charges while turned off

i was having the same issue on a rooted zopo ZP980 with android version 4.2.1.

my device didn't charge and won't recognised to PC while ON,

at first i thought this was a hardware problem, so i just cleaned every contact parts with isopropyl alcohol, but this, although recommended, did not solve anything. the phone only charged while it was off (usb or outlet). if i plugged the usb cable while the phone was ON it will not charge at all.

Please help me...

pankaj_pal9

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
It's software problem as far as I know. Just yesterday my phone started doing this. It used to charge fine. Since some days after installing Xposed I first started to get errors of not enough internal memory while installing new apps. Even if I did uninstall almost everything. Now the phone is not charging from yesterday when on, only when it's off would it charge.

I also have a custom kernel so it maybe that. Trust me it isn't hardware problem.

DeadWalker1

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I have the opposite problem. I have a samsung galaxy stardust android smartphone tacfone and it recently started not charging while it is off. It will charge while on but when i turn it off i and plug it in it flashes like it would to show a battery icon with charge percentage but instead of showing that it continues flashing on and off. Anybody got ideas on how to fix?

Syamlal Bahuleyan

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus5 update 6.01 phone charges when powered-off. Sometime its showing the chargering symbol when not connected. It also just started happening after an upgrade two days ago.I'm using all the original/factory gear, including the charger. It behaves the same way charging off a USB port as with the wall plug. I have done the factory reset twice but problems still remain. Pls help