Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Only charges while turned off

I know the nexus has had some charging woes, but since the latest update, my N7 won't recognize a charge, unless I turn it off. It won't acknowledge the fact a USB is plugged in, and won't charge at all with the device on. After I power it down, it charges full within a couple of hours and shows the battery charge screen as soon as the USB is connected.

Thinking about doing a factory reset... think it would help? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Only charges while turned off

If you are like me, you probably have a bunch of usb charging cables that you have collected from various devices over the years. Are you sure you are using the correct one?

I have a usb power cable that came with an old camera that I used to have, it wont charge most of my devices correctly. Once I unplug that one and plug in the right cable, my stuff charges fine.
    FApple

bas.androiddev brings up an excellent point - what cables and charger are you using? Both matter very much. If it's doing this with the stock cable & charger, then it's probably time for a call to customer support or trying a factory reset.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The stock power cable is what I use. Its a weird issue. Doesn't recognize a charge when its on, but does when its off. I think a factory reset is in my future.... Oh, and I've tried various other USB power blocks and cables to no avail.

RHS

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

I am using the stock cable and I sometimes have to unplug it and then plug it in again to get it to charge. It doesn't seem to recognize it the first time for some reason.

Also, make sure that you are using the AC adapter that came with the Nexus 7. Some 3rd party AC adapters do not put out enough current to charge tablet; they may work for a phone or other devices, but tablets want more current. Look for 5v DC / 2amp charger to properly charge the tablet.

I have used various USB wall chargers and PC it always starts recharging with no problem even after update.
    HTC EVO LTE - Asus Transformer - Google Nexus 7

This is a know issue. Call support and they will swap the unit for a new one. I had the same issue.

This. From what I understand it takes a larger 2amp draw and most older cables MAY not support it. Are you using the stock charging solution?

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock LG G2 / CM10 G-Nex

I'm not sure if you're rooted and running a custom rom/kernel but if you are try another rom/kernel.

I know you said after the update but I figured I'd throw it out there.
    ~>2BMEISIMPOSSIBLE<~
    ~>2BURSELFISINEVITABLE<~

Quote Originally Posted by jadecar13 View Post
    I have used various USB wall chargers and PC it always starts recharging with no problem even after update.
    Without realizing it, I once used my cell phone charger. It would not charge and, if I recall correctly, received a notice that I was not using the right cable. Google specifically mentions not using cables other than the one made for the Nexus 7.

I'd do as latenigtcam recommended. Call support and get a new unit.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts

You need a 2 AMP charger. If you use a lower power 1 AMP cell phone charger, you'll also see this behavior...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Using the stock charger. I just did a factory reset and it did not fix my issue. I'm sure I will have to call asus try to stop out for another. It's just interesting that it will charge when the device is off, and will not charge when the devices on. Was thinking it was a software issue, but apparently it's hardware.

My old htc did this, my wiring was a bit frayed inside so i would always need to give it a bit of a wiggle and hold it in a spot with tape. Probably not the same case with you but just an experience i've had.

I just started having this issue with the Galaxy Nexus. I've been using the stock charge and cables since I've gotten the product.
    I've recently updated to 4.1.2.

I can charge perfectly when the device is off, so it can't be a hardware thing with the phone connectivity being worn?
    I don't know where else to pin point this, because it happened abruptly.

I did the factory rest, after the phone battery waiting about for it, and sim card, and battery drain.

Any other solutions? I'm also abroad in the UK, and my phone came from there, so I thought that can't be the case either since my charger is UK and OEM.

I had the same problem, turned out the USB cable I was using was from a Blackberry. I don't even know where it came from, I've never owned a Blackberry. I think a co-worker may have "borrowed" it from my desk and returned the wrong one. Switched to the cable that came with my GNex and it charges fine now.
    Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52), Nexus 7 (Dark ParanoidAndroid 2.52)
    Retired: HTC Eris, Dinc, Thunderbolt, Moto Droid, Droid 2, Droid X, Samsung Charge, Epic 4G

I'm having exactly the same issue. The phone charges when powered-off, but won't charge when its powered-up. It also just started happening after an upgrade two days ago. It sounds like it's a software issue, not a hardware issue. Like the OP, I'm using all the original/factory gear, including the charger. It behaves the same way charging off a USB port as with the wall plug.

Default Nexus 7 only charges when power is off

My Nexus 7 is experiencing this after updating to 4.2.1 recently. I have tried a factory reset, different chargers, boot loading after power down, tricks and tips...to no avail. This has to be related to my recent update as we have two in the home and only the updated tablet has this issue.

Frustrating but hopefully an update is upcoming?

For now, I have to power down to charge.

Same problem here. Only charges when off

The big problem is that the USB is not recognized so that takes many of my options OFF the table. I cannot plug my Nexus 7 into my computer via USB and work on the issue. It will not recognize it.

I can, however, still use my Nexus 7 and charge it up with a USB...but ONLY when it's powered down. I have tried recovery mode and other options as well. I do believe from all that I've tried that it has to do with the 4.2.1 update.

Erik, what version are you on?

Quote Originally Posted by jcsugrue View Post
    I had the same problem, turned out the USB cable I was using was from a Blackberry. I don't even know where it came from, I've never owned a Blackberry. I think a co-worker may have "borrowed" it from my desk and returned the wrong one. Switched to the cable that came with my GNex and it charges fine now.
    I am using the stock charger and I have tried to use the charger for our other Nexus 7 and my SIII. Nothing works. It charges, but only when powered down. I called Asus today and they said that it was an OS problem and I should contact someone else.

I know it may seem a little late for replies,but i'm still willing to help out,I know this may seem like it is not it,but i've had this problem before and here is what I did:I had to go to settings>storage>USB Computer Connection>then enable MTP,if it is already enabled,then enable FTP then MTP again,hope this works for you too...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Masquerade908 View Post
    I know it may seem a little late for replies,but i'm still willing to help out,I know this may seem like it is not it,but i've had this problem before and here is what I did:I had to go to settings>storage>USB Computer Connection>then enable MTP,if it is already enabled,then enable FTP then MTP again,hope this works for you too...
    Ran into the same problem the other day after the most recent update. Will only charge when powered off, won't charge or recognize USB connectivity while powered on. Tried a factory reset and tried this fix as well, MTP is selected and when I attempt to select PTP it highlights and locks the device up for about 10 seconds and it reboots and the problem persists.

I've been scouring the Internet for other possible fixes for a few hours, looks like I'll be sending this in for RMA.

This is happening to me as well, and it's a relief to see I'm not the only one.

As a technical person with professional troubleshooting experience, this is almost certainly a software issue tied to the 4.2.2 update I installed recently. I had it on the USB cable charging, installed the update, hooked it back up to the USB cable and it stopped charging. Official charger, MTP on, and it frickin' charges when it's off. Something is happening that is related to the phone OS that is causing it to reject the charge when it is running, and it's leading to the battery being low constantly which I know will wear it out faster. And that concerns me.

At this point I am strongly considering screwing around with downloaded ROMs or maybe even ubuntu for phones, because Google's official release of the software is busted on it's official branded phone. Google released software that caused their flagship "Google experience" phone to break. This sucks.

I thought to try to put custom roms and stuff but it won't let you root it unless it connects to the computer and you can't connect to the computer unless you have the usb working.. its an annoying problem.. google would have to send an update via wifi or something to solve this problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast