Should I turn it off at night?

jazzyyxo

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Since I've had my nexus (about a month) I haven't turned it off at All. I go on it abit in the day then just lock it and charge at night. Is this bad for it? Should I turn it off when I'm not using it at night and stuff?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily see why.

It doesn't draw a lot of power in standby/sleep, but if you find that the power draw is unacceptable for your use, you could certainly turn it off.

I only restart mine when I have to - which is pretty much when I get an OTA upgrade since a restart is part of that process, or if I experience a problem I think a restart might fix. I bought mine in July, and I believe it's been restarted about 5 times. I restart my phone (HTC Thunderbolt) a lot more often than I do my Nexus. Then again, the Thunderbolt is a lot less stable than the Nexus 7.

I like the "grab it off the nightstand, press POWER, ready for use in a half second" convenience.

Pooneil

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I do this too, it is nice to have it on when I want it. But I also power cycle it occasionally out of habit of doing this with Windows PCs. My thought is is an economic one, the Nexus 7 is not a hugely expensive item and any possible shortening of its life from being always on will be made up for in the convenience of its use.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Since I've had my nexus (about a month) I haven't turned it off at All. I go on it abit in the day then just lock it and charge at night. Is this bad for it? Should I turn it off when I'm not using it at night and stuff?
I don't ... when I had Wifi disabled during sleep, I hated the wait for my email and other stuff to show up when I un-slept it...

For the same reason I don't turn it off...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
There's no *need* to shut it down at night, but you certainly can. In general, though, I think they designed it with the thought that most users will just leave it on all the time.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is a dumb question...

What is the difference between sleep and power off? (Sleep - what happens automatically / Power off - holding the power button down and selecting Power Off)

Also, I have a 'Lock The Screen' app/widget... when I lock the screen, is that the same as sleeping?

Thanks

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

What is the difference between sleep and power off? (Sleep - what happens automatically / Power off - holding the power button down and selecting Power Off)

Also, I have a 'Lock The Screen' app/widget... when I lock the screen, is that the same as sleeping?

Thanks

I would guess that sleep is just when it shuts off the display, and maybe a few other processes, and uses very little battery power. Power off is a full shutdown that should use zero battery (though there would still be some power loss over a long period of time, that's just how batteries are). Resume from sleep is nearly instant, where full startup from power off will take a minute.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks
power off is switching off the tablet. you have to boot it up again to use it.

sleep will go low power, low core speed with wireless connections disabled etc(Not all)
It will only use absolute minimum power

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who turns mine off at night.
I turn all of my electronics before I go to sleep, except my TV of course.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
you dont have to turn it off. i dont do it at all.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't turn off my devices unless I know it will not be used for extended periods of time. Weeks, months, etc.

Otherwise I grab and go. There is no reason to shut it off at night unless you really need to conserve power for the next day but if your device sleeps properly, it shouldn't be draining much at all.

jimbarr

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I only power down to restart it due to an OTA or a flaky app.

I use Juice Defender Ultimate to manage WiFi usage, so when it's not being used, it's quietly sleeping. And I just charge when needed.

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've read that regular reboots help clear memory blocks & keep the system 'clean'. Is that not right with the Nexus 7?

~Jaqi~
Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm the only one who turns mine off at night.
I turn all of my electronics before I go to sleep, except my TV of course.

No, you're not the only one - there's me too.

ShaneRay

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't turn mine off, but I do put it into "Flight Mode".

Shortly after purchase, I invested in "Battery Widget Reborn Pro" from the play store (great utility and one of my few must haves). The app lets you set an on/off time for flight mode...so, I set flight mode to come on at 12:30am (I'm usually asleep by then) and go off again at 8:30 am (shortly before I usually start using the tablet). I find this great as flight mode seems to save me 15% battery (give or take) during those 8 hours...and it automatically comes back to life with my email etc waiting for me.

So, long story short, no I don't turn if off, but I use flight mode to save a fair amount of battery.