Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Should I turn it off at night?

Since I've had my nexus (about a month) I haven't turned it off at All. I go on it abit in the day then just lock it and charge at night. Is this bad for it? Should I turn it off when I'm not using it at night and stuff?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Should I turn it off at night?

I don't necessarily see why.

It doesn't draw a lot of power in standby/sleep, but if you find that the power draw is unacceptable for your use, you could certainly turn it off.

I only restart mine when I have to - which is pretty much when I get an OTA upgrade since a restart is part of that process, or if I experience a problem I think a restart might fix. I bought mine in July, and I believe it's been restarted about 5 times. I restart my phone (HTC Thunderbolt) a lot more often than I do my Nexus. Then again, the Thunderbolt is a lot less stable than the Nexus 7.

I like the "grab it off the nightstand, press POWER, ready for use in a half second" convenience.
    Thanked by:
    phonohead likes this.

I do this too, it is nice to have it on when I want it. But I also power cycle it occasionally out of habit of doing this with Windows PCs. My thought is is an economic one, the Nexus 7 is not a hugely expensive item and any possible shortening of its life from being always on will be made up for in the convenience of its use.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyyxo View Post
    Since I've had my nexus (about a month) I haven't turned it off at All. I go on it abit in the day then just lock it and charge at night. Is this bad for it? Should I turn it off when I'm not using it at night and stuff?
    I don't ... when I had Wifi disabled during sleep, I hated the wait for my email and other stuff to show up when I un-slept it...

For the same reason I don't turn it off...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    I like the "grab it off the nightstand, press POWER, ready for use in a half second" convenience.
    I couldn't "feel" you more on that, bro!

There's no *need* to shut it down at night, but you certainly can. In general, though, I think they designed it with the thought that most users will just leave it on all the time.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Ok so here is a dumb question...

What is the difference between sleep and power off? (Sleep - what happens automatically / Power off - holding the power button down and selecting Power Off)

Also, I have a 'Lock The Screen' app/widget... when I lock the screen, is that the same as sleeping?

Thanks
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Can you stop hijacking my threads with your questions please
    Thanked by 2:
    stillborn86 and carracerz14 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post

What is the difference between sleep and power off? (Sleep - what happens automatically / Power off - holding the power button down and selecting Power Off)

Also, I have a 'Lock The Screen' app/widget... when I lock the screen, is that the same as sleeping?

Thanks
    I would guess that sleep is just when it shuts off the display, and maybe a few other processes, and uses very little battery power. Power off is a full shutdown that should use zero battery (though there would still be some power loss over a long period of time, that's just how batteries are). Resume from sleep is nearly instant, where full startup from power off will take a minute.

Thanks
    power off is switching off the tablet. you have to boot it up again to use it.

sleep will go low power, low core speed with wireless connections disabled etc(Not all)
    It will only use absolute minimum power

I guess I'm the only one who turns mine off at night.
    I turn all of my electronics before I go to sleep, except my TV of course.

you dont have to turn it off. i dont do it at all.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Olddogeyes its not locked? What u on about?

I don't turn off my devices unless I know it will not be used for extended periods of time. Weeks, months, etc.

Otherwise I grab and go. There is no reason to shut it off at night unless you really need to conserve power for the next day but if your device sleeps properly, it shouldn't be draining much at all.

Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D

I only power down to restart it due to an OTA or a flaky app.

I use Juice Defender Ultimate to manage WiFi usage, so when it's not being used, it's quietly sleeping. And I just charge when needed.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Olddogeyes its not locked? What u on about?
    It seemed to be earlier...

I only power it off if it starts to act weird.

I've read that regular reboots help clear memory blocks & keep the system 'clean'. Is that not right with the Nexus 7?

~Jaqi~
    Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by F0REVERY0UNG View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who turns mine off at night.
    I turn all of my electronics before I go to sleep, except my TV of course.

No, you're not the only one - there's me too.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

I don't turn mine off, but I do put it into "Flight Mode".

Shortly after purchase, I invested in "Battery Widget Reborn Pro" from the play store (great utility and one of my few must haves). The app lets you set an on/off time for flight mode...so, I set flight mode to come on at 12:30am (I'm usually asleep by then) and go off again at 8:30 am (shortly before I usually start using the tablet). I find this great as flight mode seems to save me 15% battery (give or take) during those 8 hours...and it automatically comes back to life with my email etc waiting for me.

So, long story short, no I don't turn if off, but I use flight mode to save a fair amount of battery.

Thanks
    Locking the screen (turning it off, locking) is sleeping, with the added security of the lock. Probably the same as Settings | Security | Lock on power switch. Enabling that and closing with a folio that has a "sleep" magnet in the cover is a good idea for privacy. I've got a video that demonstrates this stuff a bit.[1]

Can you stop hijacking my threads with your questions please
    Huh? I missed something. It's not "your" thread, and probably not "hijacking" if a question is related to the thread topic. Let's just discuss sleeping and locking and stuff without getting defensive.

To answer your question, you can just sleep it like you've been doing. A power down once a week or so will clear caches and stuff, not a bad idea. Of course if you install a questionable app that does a lot of force closing or locking up, uninstall the app and power down just to be safe.

For the most part the OS on the tablet manages itself quite well, though. It's not like Windows where the longer you go without shutting down, the closer you are to a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

[1]
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

I've had a 16GB N7 for about 2 months now. If I let it sleep, the battery loses almost all power inside of 3 days. I can see how flight mode might help a little but nothing like a week seems possible. I let it sleep if I plug in the charger but turn it off otherwise.

Also, people need to be aware that not all chargers are created equal. Use the one that came with your N7. Also, a powered down N7 will charge faster than a running one.

True, and a good point. The N7, like other tablets, can really suck power up on a 9W-10W 2A charger. Using a dinky little 5W 1A like phones come with will take longer. And -- despite what some say -- plugging it into a computers USB data port (limited to 500mA) will give you a hard lesson in patience.

That said ... I plug my N7 overnight into a conventional iPod charger, about as wimpy a charger for non-Apple devices as you can find. (It's nominally 1A, but only with proper Apple devices, other devices see it as a computer's USB port.) Unless my tablet is < 20% when I plug it in, it's fully charged up by morning. Sleeping helps. Longer sync refresh cycles (syncing apps every four hours, vice ever thirty minutes) helps too.
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Oh can you use different chargers? I was going to ask this because it the charger is quite short and can't really use it whilst its charging

I can't find the post that mentions running a week without charging. :rolleyes:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast