How: Gmail - open contact from sent email

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
When I am viewing an email in Gmail app on N7, is there any way to open that contact in People from the email?

In Gmail on my Win7 PC that functionality exists but was wanted to see if it was possible on my N7?

The closest I have came... clicking on the recipient email address starts a new email to them... long pressing on their pre-filled email address prompts me to copy to clipboard ... then navigating to People and search/paste...

But that is a lot of steps...

Am I missing something obvious or is there any Gmail setting that influences this area?

In the absence of this functionality, has anyone ran across an app that watches the clipboard for an email address and gives options such as "open contact", "send email" or "create new contact" etc...

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
on the left of email do you see a square with a people icon on it?? or if you have pictures in it you will see the contacts picture.

click on it, it will open contact card then click on the image on the contact. it will open people card.

i hope i explained it well

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
on the left of email do you see a square with a people icon on it?? or if you have pictures in it you will see the contacts picture.

click on it, it will open contact card then click on the image on the contact. it will open people card.

i hope i explained it well

When I send an email, the area that you are telling me to click doesn't exist...

gmail1.jpg

gmail2.jpg

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ha, so you were talking about "To Recipient" on your sent email list. you didnt mention that on your post.

I was looking at "From Recipient" in the inbox.

from what i see it dont seem to be possible on the current gmail app. wonder if they added it on the new version.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Press on the person's picture, a card will pop up. There will be a little person icon on the bottom right. That will take you to their details.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Press on the person's picture, a card will pop up. There will be a little person icon on the bottom right. That will take you to their details.

There is no picture... see the 3rd post in the thread to see what I am seeing...

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ha, so you were talking about "To Recipient" on your sent email list. you didnt mention that on your post.

I was looking at "From Recipient" in the inbox

I didn't realize that there was a difference in how the contact was presented until you pointed out that they were different...

Google has a looooooooong way to go to unify their UI.... a looooooooong way...

Thanks for trying to help me...

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This generic smiley face

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351727174450.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351727174450.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 14

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
So, looking at the image you provided, I see a contact picture. See where my badly drawn red arrow is pointing. Press that, it'll popup a bigger box and then you can press on the grey face on the right corner of that box.

gmail2.jpg

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So, looking at the image you provided, I see a contact picture. See where my badly drawn red arrow is pointing. Press that, it'll popup a bigger box and then you can press on the grey face on the right corner of that box.

View attachment 44241

Well that's me... the contact that I wanted to pull up is smartkeyboard and its not clickable...

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a contact picture, it will be a gray face on the upper left corner of the header. Click on it and if you have their contact, it will take you to their contact info. If they aren't, you will see the pop up asking if you want to add them.

screenshot2012110511515.png

As for an email YOU sent, the only thing is clicking on the drop down arrow under the header and seeing the email address. You can then click on it and send additional emails that way.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
If you don't have a contact picture, it will be a gray face on the upper left corner of the header. Click on it and if you have their contact, it will take you to their contact info. If they aren't, you will see the pop up asking if you want to add them.

That isn't true for sent messages I want to pull up the recepient...

That appears to even be true if the recepient is already in the address book but hasn't replied...

Strange but true...

And you are correct about this:

As for an email YOU sent, the only thing is clicking on the drop down arrow under the header and seeing the email address. You can then click on it and send additional emails that way.

Thanks for a nice summary of what I was trying to figure out...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908