Holding an iPad Mini vs. Holding a Nexus 7

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This video is not the one I posted before but at the 3:00 mark he just takes out that Mini Finger Rejection statement. Armando just say the size of the Mini is almost the same size as the 10" screen without the edges and you should get the iPad 4 not the Mini.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The size of the mini is a bit big for one handed use indeed, but i usually use two hands when it comes to my tablets regardless, so it isn't a huge issue for me.

Everyone uses 2 hands on a tablet (for the most part). It's more about how comfortable it is to hold in your hand while typing etc. The Nexus 7 just fits so comfortably.

I can only hold my Transformer Prime for a short time before my left hand gets tired. The nexus 7 is perfectly light and a great width. The iPad mini I played with felt awkward width wise. But super thin and still light.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Everyone uses 2 hands on a tablet (for the most part). It's more about how comfortable it is to hold in your hand while typing etc. The Nexus 7 just fits so comfortably.

I can only hold my Transformer Prime for a short time before my left hand gets tired. The nexus 7 is perfectly light and a great width. The iPad mini I played with felt awkward width wise. But super thin and still light.

Speak for yourself. I palm my tablet like Shaq with a basketball all day.

janjanjan47

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Besides the width, the mini is difficult to hold on to, period. When I tried holding it, it slipped out of my hand. Its just too smooth The n7 is both the right width, and the right shape with the right feel. I don't like covers, so the device itself needs to be just right to hold.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Speak for yourself. I palm my tablet like Shaq with a basketball all day.

That's why I said "for the most part". If you have massive hands great, but a tablet isn't a phone, so the checking texts and receiving calls stuff isn't there. People typically are more in a position to be holding it 2 handed.

But there is an exception to everything.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
That's why I said "for the most part". If you have massive hands great, but a tablet isn't a phone, so the checking texts and receiving calls stuff isn't there. People typically are more in a position to be holding it 2 handed.

But there is an exception to everything.

What are you talking about. This is not a phone.

I palm it with my left hand while typing on it with my other hand. I can't do this as easily with the Ipad Mini.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about. This is not a phone.

I palm it with my left hand while typing on it with my other hand. I can't do this as easily with the Ipad Mini.

Exactly. I think we may be saying the same thing but the English language has screwed up our ability to say what we mean. Lol. :D

When most people talk about one hand use on a phone they mean using it 100 % in one hand and use their thumb to swipe and type. So I think this is where I was trying to get clarification. I think what you and I are saying is the same thing... The Nexus 7 is perfect for holding in your left hand typing with your right. The mini is wider and harder to hold.
Yes? :thumbup:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple really screwed themselves up on that one didn't they.

Apple's understandable desire to give their developers a consistent and predictable environment has now started to dictate limitations to their flexibility in hardware design. They've painted themselves in a bit of a corner and there will be much angst and gnashing of teeth if they want to break free of the mold they've cast for themselves.

The question is whether they will bother, since the mini will sell like hotcakes and their existing tablet application base already looks good on it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Apple without Steve Jobs is just another large company. It happened to Apple when Jobs was forced out before and we will most likely see it again now that Steve Jobs is gone.

Just my take on corporate succession and senescence.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple without Steve Jobs is just another large company. It happened to Apple when Jobs was forced out before and we will most likely see it again now that Steve Jobs is gone.

Just my take on corporate succession and senescence.

I may be wrong here but I don't think Steve Jobs created the iPad/iPhone, or did he? Even with him gone the same developers and designers are probably still there trying to recreate the success they had before. Unless they completely change the look of these products they will slowly stop selling in such good numbers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I may be wrong here but I don't think Steve Jobs created the iPad/iPhone, or did he? Even with him gone the same developers and designers are probably still there trying to recreate the success they had before. Unless they completely change the look of these products they will slowly stop selling in such good numbers.

He didn't create them, but he certainly called the shots, he oversaw the creation of the iPhone and iPad and wouldn't accept a substandard product. The designers may still be at Apple, but they won't have Jobs there to say "I want this" or "that isn't good enough", he knew what he wanted and how to get it from his staff.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't underestimate the influence of a talented and visionary company leader.

If Mr. Jobs was still at the helm, would the iPad Mini have been developed the way it was? Would Mr. Jobs vision have resulted in narrower design or higher resolution? Or would he have simply nixed the whole Mini idea?

Of course, I don't know the answers, but I suspect that things wouldn't be quite the same, for better or worse. But likely it would be for better. That's what a talented leader does, and Mr. Jobs was certainly both talented and a leader, whether or not you liked the products that his vision brought forth.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

If Mr. Jobs was still at the helm, would the iPad Mini have been developed the way it was? Would Mr. Jobs vision have resulted in narrower design or higher resolution? Or would he have simply nixed the whole Mini idea?

Of course, I don't know the answers, but I suspect that things wouldn't be quite the same, for better or worse. But likely it would be for better. That's what a talented leader does, and Mr. Jobs was certainly both talented and a leader, whether or not you liked the products that his vision brought forth.

IMO he was a was a marketing genius. I would even say he was much better at marketing then at "creating" products. Just look at how many followers he has that will spend crazy money to buy anything Apple puts out whether good or bad.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Very talented but also a real a**hole.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Very talented but also a real a**hole.

Yep that's usually how it goes. Most talented people are only smart in one area of expertise but are lacking in common sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech