Are screen protectors really necessary?

orenzai

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently waiting for my N7 32GB to be shipped to me. I was wondering if a screen protector on a corning glass is necessary? Previously, my Playbook had no screen protector for 1 year of use. There has been no scratches on the screen but that isnt Gorilla nor is it Corning glass I guess. What about other N7 users out there?

gdourado

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently waiting for my N7 32GB to be shipped to me. I was wondering if a screen protector on a corning glass is necessary? Previously, my Playbook had no screen protector for 1 year of use. There has been no scratches on the screen but that isnt Gorilla nor is it Corning glass I guess. What about other N7 users out there?

I'll throw my 2 cents.
I have a galaxy nexus with a screen protector. I have it because my phone goes to the gym with me, I set it on tables, on the car dashboard, I use it in pockets a lot... That's why I protected my phone with a bumper case and a screen protector.

For my Nexus 7, because it is used differently, mail on the couch, at a table, and I carry it in a messenger pouch, I just bought the official travel case. S? far so good. Happy with my decision and 0 scratches on the 7.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ezas

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm up to my 5th gadget and only the 1st one had a screen protector and I have yet to get a scratch. I am reasonably careful but I definitely don't baby them. But with that said there is little down side to having one.

But all my gadgets have some type of case.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dnightangel

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion I think you don't have to have it but it helps. Since I move about heaps and usually have dirty fingers (dirt etc), the screen protector is a peace of mind and helps minimise and manage dust, scratches and impacts. The goriila glass is fine on its own but with the screen protector just some extra protection for those that need it or are heavy users

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Not for me. I've dropped my N7 twice now, and the last time I dropped it it even slid. No scratches here :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One X

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Ordinary glass is pretty hard but fragile. I don't know if the treatments to make the screen glass more rugged makes it softer, but I worry about cracks/chips more than scratches.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how you use it. If it's in a case with a cover, doesn't get thrown around with other things, etc you should be good.

I put it on all my phones because I know they will get abused. In the purse, pocket, my keys brushing up against it (I have a can opener keychain and it scratches easy, so glad I have a screen protector on my phone). Otherwise I don't bother with the N7. It's normally used around the house and wouldn't see harsh conditions.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using my N7 for almost 2 months without a screen protector and there isn't a single scratch on it.
I use it at home and I even take it on the train and to class everydy.
The screen is pretty sturdy, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about screen protectors.

TomsAndroid

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I need one. I don't have any protectors and I slide my Tablet in and out of my pocket and sometimes facedown on my desk. I have a few good scratches but nothing too visible or major.

Sent from my Nexus 7

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you don't want one and you don't think you need it, don't get it. unless you treat it so rough that you can already predict getting scratches, you probably don't need it. I don't have any scratches on the protector, so I don't think my N7 would have gotten damaged without one.

I take mine on my commute every day, and it's just easier to read with an anti-glare screen protector (which is not an invisible protector). me personally, I couldn't care less about the way it looks, and the minute difference in screen quality didn't bother me.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a screen protector and never will. Refuse to compromise the screen in any way. I think most of the phones and tablets out there can handle things just fine without a protector, people are just paranoid.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

naemcivic

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had a no name screen protector on for the first 2 month of ownership, for the pass 1 month ive been "naked" with a case on and really like the feel.. so far the screen is holding up really good. 0 scratches.

DavidsTech

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Alright, someone mentioned Gorilla Glass. The Nexus 7 does NOT have Gorilla Glass. And with the cost of the tablet its not surprising. The components used all effect price. It does have scratch resistant Corning glass though. Which will help. For my smartphones I do put screen protectors on just for the piece of mind it offers. Plus, I seen too many people upset and mad because there smartphone got a scratch on it. If your going to be upset because it gets scratched then it should be obvious, get a screen protector.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

hurricanedt

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
My n7 without a screen protector has slid across carpet. It did not collect one scratch. I do not believe screen protectors are worth the inconvenience. Bubbles in the screen protector and stickiness are both side effects.

cyanogen-man

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes!! I'm not on a n7. I can't tell you how many times. I have had deep scratches in my phone's screen. The n7 is still pocketable. Meaning keys bumping against things. Infact I got to get a new one now a key put a half of an inch gash into my screen protector. So yes I vote screen protectors are good ;)

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12