Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By plumberdv
  • 1 Post By sheureka
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Default Ok, I did it anyway.

A week ago today, I decided that I didn't need to upgrade my 8G to the new 32GB unit. Last night, I couldn't stand it and ordered the 32GB from Staples. Need it or not, I'll have it in a few days.

I plan on giving the 8GB unit to someone and would like to know if doing a reset on it will remove the Google account that's associated with it. Also, any recommendations for a keyboard for the Nexus 7 would be appreciated.

Default Re: Ok, I did it anyway.

Yes, a reset will wipe your N7 clean. It will bring it back to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box and powered it on. All your information, data, accounts, and apps will be gone. The next time it's powered on, the user will have to set it up from scratch, just like you did the first time.

With that said, I don't know if the SD memory is truly wiped clean, as if reformatted. It might be possible that a knowledgeable new user could setup the N7 and then install some file recovery app to recover files and information that just appears to be gone but is actually still there. I don't know how possible this is, but I'm sure other members here who are more knowledgeable can chime in.

If this does concern you, you might try running an app like Forever Gone (SD Card Cleaner). Maybe do the reset, set it up again, download and run this one app, then reset again. Personally, I think that's a little overkill, but it's really a matter of your own level of concern.

For a software keyboard, I recommend SwiftKey for Tablet. For a hardware keyboard I don't have a recommendation.

By the way, why did you "Do it anyway"?
    Thanked by:

The SD is not "cleaned". Things like music, photos, videos, documents etc. will not be removed. You should move/remove all those before you do the factory wipe. Especially if you have any "aerial" photos of your gf,

Anything you have that is not in one of the directories that existed when you got it will stay (except for app data, it should know where all that stuff is from the app)
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Yes, a reset will wipe your N7 clean. It will bring it back to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box and powered it on. All your information, data, accounts, and apps will be gone. The next time it's powered on, the user will have to set it up from scratch, just like you did the first time.
    By the way, why did you "Do it anyway"?
    Just because I could I suppose. I've been using an external 32 gig thunb drive for my movies and it works well, but it keeps me from hooking up my power bank in case the power gets low and I want to continue watching.

Another question. I keep reading about the "SD". I guess that the SD in the Nexus isn't the same as the SD (card) I use in my cameras, right?

Thanks for the info.
    MJKearney likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    A week ago today, I decided that I didn't need to upgrade my 8G to the new 32GB unit. Last night, I couldn't stand it and ordered the 32GB from Staples. Need it or not, I'll have it in a few days.

I plan on giving the 8GB unit to someone and would like to know if doing a reset on it will remove the Google account that's associated with it. Also, any recommendations for a keyboard for the Nexus 7 would be appreciated.
    If you have not unlocked your bootloader (and installed a custom ROM, kernel, etc.) then a factory reset will definitely wipe it clean and will remove all your info/data.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    If you have not unlocked your bootloader (and installed a custom ROM, kernel, etc.) then a factory reset will definitely wipe it clean and will remove all your info/data.
    No, I've not done any of that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    The SD is not "cleaned". Things like music, photos, videos, documents etc. will not be removed. You should move/remove all those before you do the factory wipe. Especially if you have any "aerial" photos of your gf,

Anything you have that is not in one of the directories that existed when you got it will stay (except for app data, it should know where all that stuff is from the app)
    As far as I know, you are not correct. I'm pretty sure all files (media, documents, etc.) the user has put on their device is wiped out and no longer visible, though, as I posted previously, might be recoverable.

Can anyone else here verify either of our statements?

Also, any recommendations for a keyboard for the Nexus 7 would be appreciated.
    I like the Logitech BT keyboard. They have it here in a dented box for $41.99 - Logitech U.S.: buy close-out products at a special price.
    Thanked by:
    plumberdv likes this.

Another question. I keep reading about the "SD". I guess that the SD in the Nexus isn't the same as the SD (card) I use in my cameras, right?
    That's right. The internal storage on your tablet is referred to as SD, just to confuse us, I guess!

What sort of keyboard do you want? I heard this logitech one is great: Amazon.com: Logitech 920-003390 Tablet Keyboard for Android 3.0 Plus: Computers & Accessories

If you want something more portable, you could get a keyboard case like this one: Amazon.com: KHOMO Black PU Leather 360 Degree Rotating Bluetooth Keyboard Case Cover Stand for Google Nexus 7 tablet: Computers & Accessories the cheap alternative is this: Amazon.com: 7" Tablet Stand with USB Keyboard - Black Faux Leather Carrying Case: Computers & Accessories which I use, but you have to modify it to make it secure.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    +1

Factory reset on a stock device will clear everything out. Click on factory reset and read the warning (it will ask for confirmation).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Rooted Nexus 7 - XenonHD
    Rooted Dual Boot HP Touchpad - ICS
    Sprint EVO 3D