Nexus 7 freezing?

CubeB

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I just got a Nexus 7 from Gamestop, and I love it.

It's my second one, since the first got a case of Sleep of Death and I had to exchange it. This one seems fine, but every so often when I'm multitasking, the device freezes, makes a horrible buzzing noise, and I need to reset the tablet.

I can take it back, but I would like to know if there is a way to resolve this. It seems like a memory leak or something.

I cleared out some background apps. I'm hoping that helps.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

CubeB

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I removed some widgets and the Facebook app. If it acts up again it is going back to Gamestop.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well freezing is usually a software issue. It hardware so I would still try a factory reset before you take it back

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Android has a good task killer, you don't need an extra one unless you want to save a bit of battery.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Is that the one with a widget that looks like a green Android in a Grey Circle with a red gear on its chest labeled "cleaner" ?

You have to click that one as far as I know...

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but Android internally makes decisions on what apps to keep running and which to kill.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Auto task killers are horrible. It's is well known in the android community to not use them. They cause more harm than good.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are talking about, but Android internally makes decisions on what apps to keep running and which to kill.

Thanks. Good to know.

I have noticed a great deal of lazy app dev eg no close/exit app buttons since getting my first Android device.

But the fact remains that a very large number of apps or processes autostart and fail to promptly close, just remain open, etc. Base apps and processes remain open even when they are not needed. Given the small amount of RAM available on N7 (vs a PC) to apps, this is not a happy situation and imo having a helper app that auto-cleans up memory does not hurt at all.

Edit:
Sorry, I guess I will just have to be personally convinced that auto-closing apps is BAD. One thing I find BAD about Android is the free-for-all of apps that AUTOSTART so that they can serve adds, check locations, pick their noses, or whatever I don't want or need. So we will just have to agree to disagree until I am convinced..

CubeB

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I have not had the problem lately, since I've been checking my apps.

I noticed that some apps like Skype never shut down once you turn them on. I think an app like Facebook or something was silently eating up memory. If I have the issue again, I'll do a reset.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Free ram is wasted ram on Android. So its not good to have a lot of free ram.

Thanks for the laugh. You should be an app programmer - you could make millions hogging all the RAM that others could use and then leasing drips and drops back to them.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the laugh. You should be an app programmer - you could make millions hogging all the RAM that others could use and then leasing drips and drops back to them.

But it's true. The while point is to keep things in RAM that are likely to be used again. There's no benefit to empty RAM. If you are too aggressive clearing it, you'll just need to recopy the app you just cleared from memory right back in. Empty memory and memory filled with things that are not needed are of equal value; none. So there's little point in spending resources emptying things out that will page out on their own when the space is needed. And a few of those bits might end up being reused.

Any sane memory management algorithm attempts to keep memory full with things that are likely to be used again.

Android had some paging issues before Froyo, but since then the only real problems happen with apps that insist on large amounts of memory and run in the background refreshing itself constantly.

Thankfully, such apps are few and far between.

hichris123

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it's good to kill apps when they take up battery, but for RAM control Android's internal process is better.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
yea, we could go all ten rounds about which is better, release memory when you are done with it or keep it in use on the chance that that particular code segment/data may be useful in cache or not.

The thing is modern processors are fast, in our (Tegra 3) case have 4 replicates for many possible threads to run in and ram loads so fast that we are splitting the butt-hairs of angels dancing on a pinhead. But good programming practices never change.

Like I said, we will just have to agree to disagree. I find too many Android 4.1 apps and processes hanging around like vampires sucking up resources they will never ever use. Sloppy.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
So like the fact that apps fail to close automatically when the user finishes with them because they don't have a "Close/Exit" button has something to do with Linux ?
The fact that Free apps may OPEN automatically to serve advertising, all may sync/update whenever they feel like it, or randomly open a process to pick their nose, whatever, is the result of Android being a lineal descendant of Unix/Linux ?

Give.Me.A.Break.

Face it. Android 4.1 is STILL the wild wild west of OS's and I will pack my sixgun and enforce my own opinion of garden-laws even if some gunslinger will eventually crash some app, oh MY, the humanity !!. That's my choice and it IS just as valid a choice as yours. There is a reason that Apple's direct lineal descendant of Unix/Linux uses high walls around it's OS/domain even if it makes some unhappy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781