In-Store same as from Play Store?

todd.deland

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if purchasing from a retail store (Staples) you get the same version as from the Play Store? So things like updates from Google, etc., will be no different?

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Exact same product, just different vendor. It's essentially made and sold by Asus.

I recommend buying locally. There are enough problems with the N7 quality control that if you do get a bad one, you can easily exchange.

Not to put doubt in your mind, but I just recently had to deal with a screen washout issue on a 32. I honestly was skeptical until I dealt with it first hand. Also slight minor screen lift issue. Some people have it worse.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's the same exact thing. And while I agree with a1kemist that it's nice to buy locally in the unlikely event that you need to exchange a defective unit (plus it's good for your local economy), exchanges with the Google Play Store are very easy, too.

Google sends you a replacement unit before you send back the original. There's an advantage to this in that you can take your time in the privacy of your own home to compare the two units in terms of defects. It also gives you time to set up your new unit exactly as the old one by referring to how you had set up home screens, widgets, etc. I also found the Google exchange process, which I had to do twice (bad screen lift, then badly blown speaker), to be very easy and efficient.

With that said, if I were to buy another N7, I'd probably buy it locally.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the fact that I didn't have to pay shipping on the one I just bought locally. The price and tax were the same as from the Google store but I saved the shipping cost and the time waiting for the order to arrive.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you're paranoid about receiving a defective device, it's MUCH better to buy it from the Play store. Otherwise, it's the same exact device. In the Play store you have to pay shipping ($15?) and tax, so your $250 device is more like $280.

If anything is funky with your device, Google is more than willing to ship you out a new one. Purchase in-store and (unless you can exchange it at that store) you have to deal directly with ASUS. Even if your device is dead, you have to pay to ship it into ASUS repair hell/limbo, where it'll rot for a month. I have an ASUS laptop, and the place I sent it to returned it with dead pixels and a weirdly less-responsive touchpad. I'd get the touchpad fixed but I'm avoiding their repair services like the plague.

bigtroutz

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention the fact that I didn't have to pay shipping on the one I just bought locally. The price and tax were the same as from the Google store but I saved the shipping cost and the time waiting for the order to arrive.
You have taxes there ? LOL
You need to vote with your feet...

todd.deland

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all! I'll probably purchase locally!

I'm a little worried about build quality now, but I suppose that's why we can return things!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all! I'll probably purchase locally!

I'm a little worried about build quality now, but I suppose that's why we can return things!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Good idea. I hate having to wait for ship times if I have something defective and want to play with it right away. A trip to the store is worth it more, especially if you have to pay taxes and shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante