[Solved!][sort of] What do the Wifi status bar icons mean?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble with a Time capsule router and a Motorola cable modem in bridge mode. AC app gets through but web searches and YouTube searches and streaming will stall out. The wifi indicator on the status bar will change to grey but show connected.

Anyone know what info this indicator means? There's a little vertical bar that appears.... Guess that is throughput.....

Last edited:

henywatty

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What does the various states of the Wifi indicator mean?

I am pretty sure that when the WiFi indicator is grey, it means it is connected to the modem, but not connected to the internet. When it is blue, it means it is both connected to the modem and the internet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 running Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

Gray means connected to the internet i think.
blue means it is connected to the google servers.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, gents. Anyone got some corroboration or references?

tmaze

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site

We recently had DSL problems galore and whenever the modem dropped the indicator turned gray. If the router was also turned off the intended indicator disappeared.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

When it's grey, it's connected but you don't have internet access. If you notice the first second or two when you turn your tablet on, it'll go from grey to blue. Happens to me all the f'ing time when I use an unsecured public network, like at a cafe. I'll be connected, but it'll take forever for it to actually grant me internet access. Probably the laptop equivalent of showing bars but having an exclamation mark (which, if you have ATT U-Verse, you will see all the time lol).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I don't think that's entirely correct. I've had my phone connect to the internet via 4G or wifi with a grey symbol, which allowed me to access websites on the browser. However, Google apps like Gmail or the Play Store wouldn't come up until the symbol turned blue. Hence the description in the manual that blue 4G or wifi symbols indicate connection to the Google servers.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately this is on my tablet, so I can't compare with cellular indicators (until I get a N4). And the HTC Sense overlay makes the indicators white anyway. :(

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Documentation found!

Connecting to Wi-Fi networks - Android OS Help
Network status icons turn blue if you have a Google Account added to your tablet and the tablet is connected to Google services, for syncing your Gmail, Calendar events, contacts, for backing up your settings, and so on. If you don't have a Google Account or if, for example, you're connected to a Wi-Fi network that is not connected to the Internet, the network icons are gray.

Also... (Peek at new advanced controls in 4.2)
Connect to Wi-Fi networks - Nexus Help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek