Software reccomendation needed.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
First, a little back ground. A few years back I purchased some software that converted DVD's, both home made and commercial, to WMV format for viewing on small units like the defunct "Dremeo" and the iPac PDA's. It still works well, but is no longer sold nor supported. I have bunches of movies and TV programs that I recorded onto DVD's off of my DVR and also about 30 movies converted from commercial DVD's. They all work just fine on my Nexus 7 but the resolution isn't as good as I'd like as they are all in a small size to fit the much smaller screens on the old units.

I'd like to know if anyone uses and can recommend a newer program to convert DVD's to a larger format (WMV, MPEG4 or whatever the Nexus supports).

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Do you need to convert, doesnt something like QQPlayer play most things?

Well, perhaps your N7 is different than mine, but mine doesn't have a DVD drive in it. :)>)))

How does QQPlayer play a DVD?

My old program converts the DVD's (done on my computer) to WMV files that I then transfer to the movies folder on my N7 to play. The files are fairly small, "The Green Mile" for instance is only 512MB when converted and an hour long TV episode is only 173MB.

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay, since no one seems to want to answer the question, use handbrake, convert to mp4. Done. ;)
Thank you!

While waiting, I found another program online and tried it out. It works great and formats the DVD to mp4 at 640 x 480 which looks terrific and is a vast improvement over the WMV files at 320 x 240. It only took about 25 minutes to convert which is also a vast improvement over the old program I was using.

I'll check out handbrake and give it a try also.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Tunebite from Audials. Works flawlessly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I use DVD Catalyst. I used Handbrake in the past, but sometimes it didn't work for some movies.

I have not had 1 problem converting any DVD using DVD Catalyst. It has a bunch of presets for different tablets or you can set your own.

It does cost $$, but if I remember correctly, it was either $5 or $10 for the program.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

While waiting, I found another program online and tried it out. It works great and formats the DVD to mp4 at 640 x 480 which looks terrific and is a vast improvement over the WMV files at 320 x 240. It only took about 25 minutes to convert which is also a vast improvement over the old program I was using.

I'll check out handbrake and give it a try also.

Just to give you another tip, your problems were most probably because of the size you were converting to. 320x240 is very small and is good for very low resolution screens (cell phones mostly). DVDs are 720x480 by default. You could convert them to a different format at the same resolution. File size would be a bit larger but quality would be great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

plumberdv

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Just to give you another tip, your problems were most probably because of the size you were converting to. 320x240 is very small and is good for very low resolution screens (cell phones mostly). DVDs are 720x480 by default. You could convert them to a different format at the same resolution. File size would be a bit larger but quality would be great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

That was the exact reason that I started this thread. I knew the small WMV files were too small to look good on the N7 but my old program wouldn't allow them to be made any larger.