Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mr_nobody
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    plumberdv's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

    Default Software reccomendation needed.

    First, a little back ground. A few years back I purchased some software that converted DVD's, both home made and commercial, to WMV format for viewing on small units like the defunct "Dremeo" and the iPac PDA's. It still works well, but is no longer sold nor supported. I have bunches of movies and TV programs that I recorded onto DVD's off of my DVR and also about 30 movies converted from commercial DVD's. They all work just fine on my Nexus 7 but the resolution isn't as good as I'd like as they are all in a small size to fit the much smaller screens on the old units.

    I'd like to know if anyone uses and can recommend a newer program to convert DVD's to a larger format (WMV, MPEG4 or whatever the Nexus supports).
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Do you need to convert, doesnt something like QQPlayer play most things?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    plumberdv's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BowtomePhil View Post
    Do you need to convert, doesnt something like QQPlayer play most things?
    Well, perhaps your N7 is different than mine, but mine doesn't have a DVD drive in it. (:>)))

    How does QQPlayer play a DVD?

    My old program converts the DVD's (done on my computer) to WMV files that I then transfer to the movies folder on my N7 to play. The files are fairly small, "The Green Mile" for instance is only 512MB when converted and an hour long TV episode is only 173MB.
  4. #4  
    blitzen89's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    CM10 Alpha

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Even if you convert them into WMV's I'm not sure that your resolution would be any better neccessarily
    The Rogue Reindeer Strikes Again!
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Okay, since no one seems to want to answer the question, use handbrake, convert to mp4. Done.
    Thanked by:
    plumberdv likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    plumberdv's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Okay, since no one seems to want to answer the question, use handbrake, convert to mp4. Done.
    Thank you!

    While waiting, I found another program online and tried it out. It works great and formats the DVD to mp4 at 640 x 480 which looks terrific and is a vast improvement over the WMV files at 320 x 240. It only took about 25 minutes to convert which is also a vast improvement over the old program I was using.


    I'll check out handbrake and give it a try also.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    I use Tunebite from Audials. Works flawlessly.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    I use DVD Catalyst. I used Handbrake in the past, but sometimes it didn't work for some movies.

    I have not had 1 problem converting any DVD using DVD Catalyst. It has a bunch of presets for different tablets or you can set your own.

    It does cost $$, but if I remember correctly, it was either $5 or $10 for the program.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by plumberdv View Post
    Thank you!

    While waiting, I found another program online and tried it out. It works great and formats the DVD to mp4 at 640 x 480 which looks terrific and is a vast improvement over the WMV files at 320 x 240. It only took about 25 minutes to convert which is also a vast improvement over the old program I was using.


    I'll check out handbrake and give it a try also.
    Just to give you another tip, your problems were most probably because of the size you were converting to. 320x240 is very small and is good for very low resolution screens (cell phones mostly). DVDs are 720x480 by default. You could convert them to a different format at the same resolution. File size would be a bit larger but quality would be great.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    plumberdv's Avatar

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by efyoiphone View Post
    Just to give you another tip, your problems were most probably because of the size you were converting to. 320x240 is very small and is good for very low resolution screens (cell phones mostly). DVDs are 720x480 by default. You could convert them to a different format at the same resolution. File size would be a bit larger but quality would be great.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    That was the exact reason that I started this thread. I knew the small WMV files were too small to look good on the N7 but my old program wouldn't allow them to be made any larger.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Software reccomendation needed.

    Does anyone have any recommendations on a program to convert blu ray to an N7 playable format?

Similar Threads

  1. PHOTON 4G Pre-Release Software Testers Needed
    By deaofly in forum Sprint Photon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
  2. navigation software reccomendations
    By Crispelb in forum HTC Flyer
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
  3. I need help with my software
    By naenaek22 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
  4. Need eBook software
    By instrmntuvdeth in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 08:12 PM
  5. Help Need Rooting CDMA Hero on Software 1.62.556.1
    By navalynt in forum HTC Hero Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions