Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't play videos on my Nexus 7...

i found that i can't play MKV, AVI, WMV or any other format. MP4 format plays, but i like to watch videos and fansubbed anime on my tablet.

my Ainol Elf II is able to play all of that, but the main problem is the screen here...so i figured Google decided to lock out some features?

So how can i make it so my Nexus 7 can play any video format?

Default Re: Can't play videos on my Nexus 7...

What video player app are you using?

From the Google Play Store download MX Player and/or BSPlayer or whatever other media players folks here might recommend.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

MX Player has played anything and everything I have thrown at it.

+1 to MX player

The VLC beta is coming a long way and getting much better - so keep an eye on that. But yeah, MX Player is the best bet at the moment.

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Do mx player and if it struggles make sure its on software decoding I have found some mkv files play without sound on hardware decoding.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

I use MoboPlayer. It plays almost everything.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckeeDroid View Post
    I use MoboPlayer. It plays almost everything.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
    I used to always use that but it sometimes struggles with 720p videos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

I bought my Nexus 7 primarily to play my own videos. I was unable to do so until I installed MX Player. Holy Mackerel! Now even my .wmv files play flawlessly, and I can control the starting point, too. Thanks for the tip!

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Nexus 7 only supports a few formats. The H.264 MP4 it he best format for playing with 720p.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Tech Specs & Videos Playback Tips
    Thanked by:
    jackcating likes this.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I use MX player on all my devices. Its the only player I've found to play my movies on my NAS.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Blackberry 8330 / HTC Hero / Motorola Milestone / Motorola Milestone X / Motorola Photon / Apple iPhone 4 / Motorola Droid Bionic / Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX / Verizon Galaxy Nexus / iPhone 5 / Samsung Galaxy S4

I use VPlayer. Seems to work fine.

I was having trouble until i read this forum, I downloaded VLC player and it it wasn't that good but MX player works fine Thanks a lot guys. From my pc

OK folks,

I downloaded MX player and then downloaded a digital copy of a movie I was given for Xmas. I tried to copy it to the Nexus 7 and it states that the device will not accept the .wmv or support .wmv files and that I need to find a program that will convert the file before copying.

HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by jssqmaty View Post
    Nexus 7 only supports a few formats. The H.264 MP4 it he best format for playing with 720p.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Tech Specs & Videos Playback Tips
    Quote Originally Posted by 10dorado View Post
    OK folks,

I downloaded MX player and then downloaded a digital copy of a movie I was given for Xmas. I tried to copy it to the Nexus 7 and it states that the device will not accept the .wmv or support .wmv files and that I need to find a program that will convert the file before copying.

HELP!!
    My MX player plays MKV without sounds. I am using the professional Brorsoft Video Converter to tansform my mkv to Nexus 7 video formats and get the converted file to play. The tool make me satisfied, the quality is perfect for playback.
    Thanked by:

Bought my wife a Nexus 7 for Christmas. "Best in reviews against Amazon Fire HD" etc etc. "Great for movies" etc.

Well, I've got a couple of DVDs that came with digital copies and when I download them to either iTunes or Windows Media neither play on the tablet. Well done Asus and Google!

So, downloaded MX Player, VPlayer and Dice Player and they're all as useless as each other. Sorry can't play this format.

180 for a tablet that is just a larger version of a smartphone? Don't waste your money. Get a flick book - it's so much cheaper.

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

My .avi files would not play initially using MX Player. I would click on a movie file and nothing would happen. To figure out which type of decoder to use, I held down a long tap on the movie file, a popup came up with several options, and selected Play using..... I then selected H/W decoder, and nothing happened. Went back and then selected S/W decoder, and the movie played fine. Then I went into settings and checked S/W decoder (local), and now all my movies play fine from the get-go.

In another thread DICE Player was recommended. I downloaded that app, and it plays all my movie files right away without making any settings adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxx View Post
    Well, I've got a couple of DVDs that came with digital copies...
    Are these ultraviolet supported digital copies?

If so, it likely isn't an issue with video format support so much as an issue with DRM support.

Long story short, get a player that supports the restrictions your media is infested with.

Personally, I've had no issues getting my N7 to playback my Bluray or DVD copies encoded at up to 720p AVC high profile. But then, I don't pay money for DRM locked junk.

-Suntan
    WordPainter and Shavarra like this.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Sorry, I can't agree with you. A professional convert tool is not only can be used to re-format video to Nexus 7 movie format, also be worked as any other file format(MKV, AVI,WMV,MPG,MOV,MP4,MTS,MXF,MOD,VOB,ect.) converter for any other devices as you need.

Quote Originally Posted by jssqmaty View Post
    Sorry, I can't agree with you. A professional convert tool is not only can be used to re-format video to Nexus 7 movie format, also be worked as any other file format(MKV, AVI,WMV,MPG,MOV,MP4,MTS,MXF,MOD,VOB,ect.) converter for any other devices as you need.
    hey, if you are happy, great.

But most of us have other things to do then spend money on apps to convert a file format which already plays fine with our default free player app (with all the quality loss and time consumed that process generally entails).

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Thanks for the warning. But I have used the converter for a long time(it is from brorsoft). It works fine with high quality and I can freely set the video/audio parameters to get the ideal quality and effect. The most important is that I can freely transfer MKVs, AVIs to my N7 and smartphone S3 for viewing.

I believe there is a perfect player app for Android, but it is hard to find.

I'm not very tech-oriented, but my MVI_.avi and DSCN.asf videos that I had taken with digital cameras several years ago wouldn't play on my Nexus 7. So I d/l the free Dice Player app from the Google Play Store and now they all play nicely on the N7.

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Just get Dice Player. It's free, plays anything, has pop-up player, supports subs and multiple audio tracks. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. What is this with the converting nonsense??? This isn't IOS or Windows Phone!!! Come on!!
    Shavarra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jjrdias View Post
    Just get Dice Player. It's free, plays anything, has pop-up player, supports subs and multiple audio tracks. As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect. What is this with the converting nonsense??? This isn't IOS or Windows Phone!!! Come on!!
    The average Bluray runs about 36GB... Some of us "convert" to reduce the size to something manageable.

Also, many Blurays are authored with seamless branching. Resulting in many individual video files, all with randomly ordered tracks. As I am unaware of any android media player that can automatically parse the playlist folder in a BDMV file structure, you'd just get a bunch of random snipets of the movie mixed in with the hundreds of actor interviews and other extras if you tried to just play the Stream folder.

In another case, some people like to watch Amine (SP?) which, it is my understanding, the people that "upload" this stuff have taken to encoding it in 10 bit color with some rather impractical encoding settings (as much as 16 reference frames in some cases.) Last time I looked, your Discplayer doesn't support 10 but color (MX Player does though) and 16 ref frame encoding requires software decode and causes things to turn into a battery eating slideshow. So again, converting may be required to make the file manageable.

-Suntan
    Shavarra likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast