Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Default Re: Nexus 7 running like crap

Quote Originally Posted by MANdroidd View Post
    I was experiencing some slow downs as well when i was near full capacity but no where near as bad as it is in the video. I would get that checked out
    Get it checked out by whom? Where?
    I wiped it and haven't allowed the tablet to get more than half full and it has been fine...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Arctic HD

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Well I just finished watching a show so I deleted it and now i have 1.6gb left and games work fine again with no lag. So basically this tablet has more like 14gb usable space which is pretty annoying since I paid for 16gb. I hope they fix this is 4.2

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    It actually has a little over 13 gb of use able space after space for the OS and what not is used up. It's common sense. No device that has an advertised am out of space actually has that amount of use able space. Yes you paid for 16 gb and you got just that, 16gb. You just can't use it all.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

ROM
    Arctic HD

I'd recommend sd maid pro, it's a paid app, but it's better

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    I just had a scary experience with the app recommended earlier in the thread... Forever Gone...

I have about half of my 16 gigs free... 7.33 gigs...

I ran the program and it seemed to be running fine...

When it got down to less than 600 mb available (meaning that it had written to/filled up all but 600 mb), it slowed down and stopped... meaning the countdown of free space stopped decreasing...

Then the free space went up a little and then back down.. at about 500 mb free the N7 seemed to freeze...

After a short while I hit the power button to turn off the screen and after it went off, it wouldn't come back on...

After a few tense minutes of tapping the power button with no result, I held the power button down for a good 15 seconds...

Still nothing... I had a very bad feeling but after about a minute the tablet rebooted and the notifications that popped up were about 1/2 a day old... meaning that it notified me about a text message I received and read this morning...

But nothing seems to be missing/awry... and I manually deleted the files Forever Gone created and I have made the app Forever Gone...

Did I do anything wrong? Was I supposed to turn off Wifi before running it or something?

Thanks...

When I ran Forever Gone it flew through the first couple of gigs, but when the avialable space got to around 300-400mb it started going REAL SLOW. If my memory serves me, it stopped responding so I restarted it and it went through the process again this time with out issue. Now both of our N7s fly agian.

Yep, one of the cheapest ways to speed up am old computer is to throw disk at it. More space means better memory paging performance, which improves performance in general.

My tablet froze during Forever Gone too but I came back to it and it had restarted and finished. This is all normal.
    And although my device was running fine, it seems even faster now :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts

I have a 16g N7 and used this to make my unit run faster and also opened up more storage. I do not have that much on my tablet for apps and data. I had 10985mb free space prior to running the app.....after using it.....my free space was about +200mb more and I did notice my N7 running a little smoother and slightly quicker in some instances. Fully worth trying this app if you dont even think you need it, could help out where you didnt think so.
    Last edited by Rich215; 11-07-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by OldDogEyes View Post
    I just had a scary experience with the app recommended earlier in the thread... Forever Gone...

I have about half of my 16 gigs free... 7.33 gigs...

I ran the program and it seemed to be running fine...

When it got down to less than 600 mb available (meaning that it had written to/filled up all but 600 mb), it slowed down and stopped... meaning the countdown of free space stopped decreasing...

Then the free space went up a little and then back down.. at about 500 mb free the N7 seemed to freeze...

After a short while I hit the power button to turn off the screen and after it went off, it wouldn't come back on...

After a few tense minutes of tapping the power button with no result, I held the power button down for a good 15 seconds...

Still nothing... I had a very bad feeling but after about a minute the tablet rebooted and the notifications that popped up were about 1/2 a day old... meaning that it notified me about a text message I received and read this morning...

But nothing seems to be missing/awry... and I manually deleted the files Forever Gone created and I have made the app Forever Gone...

Did I do anything wrong? Was I supposed to turn off Wifi before running it or something?

Thanks...

The only thing you did wrong was lack of patience. Forever gone writes 100MB files over the "free space". It takes awhile, and yes it slows down when you start getting down to 800, 600, 400 MB's. It takes it time, it does it's stuff and it will get there and when completed free up the space automatically. If it doesn't it will let you do it. Because you are writing to a file system that the OS uses for it's purposes, when you get down to "that limit" as stated above, Android (linux) will slow down and the Forever Gone app will eventually pick up again.

Have some patience, yes scary if you've never done it or are new to Android, Linux, Unix of any flavor. These things are, after all tablets, not desktops, laptops, mid-range servers, mainframes etc. etc. etc.

If my N7 was a mini-Super computer, I'd still want more. Probably all would, human nature.

But for mobile devices, these things are "super" computers. At least until next week when something new comes out.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
    The only thing you did wrong was lack of patience. Forever gone writes 100MB files over the "free space". It takes awhile, and yes it slows down when you start getting down to 800, 600, 400 MB's. It takes it time, it does it's stuff and it will get there and when completed free up the space automatically. If it doesn't it will let you do it. Because you are writing to a file system that the OS uses for it's purposes, when you get down to "that limit" as stated above, Android (linux) will slow down and the Forever Gone app will eventually pick up again.
    Ok, thanks for the info and explanation ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12