New to Android can I Instant message IOS users???

anon(1019781)

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I find that IMO works well on all platforms including a PC browser covers Facebook msger ICQ Skype gtalk and more. It merges all chats into one unified msger

WhatsApp is my personal favorite. Works on Android, iOS and Blackberry I believe. I know for a fact it works on Android and iOS as this is what me and my wife use and I use an iPhone 4s as well as an HTC EVO 4G LTE. She uses a Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

I recommend both of these solutions for BOTH Android and iOS users as a way to talk to one another. They're probably the 2 best solutions out there for such a thing.

prediscover

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, one of the most fun apps I use for messaging over multiple platforms is ChatOn by samsung. It has really fun stickers and emoji too! Have a try

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Sure... google voice ... it is cross platform and works surperbly... use it on all my devices... win 7 PC's, android and ios

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Viber - like whatsapp, Evernote - like drop box can use on iphone,pad, android, desktop, any browser, girls - period tracker,.

ofteno

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp is my personal favorite. Works on Android, iOS and Blackberry I believe. I know for a fact it works on Android and iOS as this is what me and my wife use and I use an iPhone 4s as well as an HTC EVO 4G LTE. She uses a Samsung Epic 4G Touch.

this :)

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I suggest Trillian. Works on PC, MAC, iOS and Android.

As far as must have apps you can't go wrong with Evernote! Especially on a Tablet.

Husker Z

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Install VTOK on your iOS device and that's all you need. You can then message anyone with Google Talk and also Video Chat as well. It works great.

ZacHolley

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Install VTOK on your iOS device and that's all you need. You can then message anyone with Google Talk and also Video Chat as well. It works great.
So anyone I know that uses vtok on a apple device when I try to video chat them it will not work unless they have the vtok app pulled up looking at it on their phone its like it will not wake up when running in the background any idea???

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am also a big supporter of Groupme. one way chat, Group chat, Share pics, location ect. very nice looking app, smooth and fast, works seamlessly on all of my devices and across all platforms equally well. and its FREE! i would initially set it up on the phone then transfer over to other devices as that is what i did, and seems to be working wonderfully.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, Google+ works great for video hangouts between Android and iOS...

It's funny... we couldn't get Facetime to work between two of our iDevices so we grabbed Google+ from the Apple App store and it worked perfectly on both iDevices... funny...

Back to your question...

Another option is Google Talk, Google's take on iMessage... although I couldn't find an official iOS Google Talk app, I did see 3rd party apps that advertised Google Talk compatibility...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dcyamaha

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
AS much as I hate to say it, Facebook is a good option for IM. You don't even need to download the facebook IM app. IM is built right in to the official app. Tell your friends to turn on notifications for IM in facebook and you're set. If they're a Google+ user already, you can do the same type of thing.

Nearly everyone uses facebook, so its a great solution. They don't have to download an extra app, set it up or anything...just turn on the IM notification sound/vibrate - whatever.

I also use Whatsapp with family and many of them have iPhones

Flazer

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it uses the AIM standard for instant message. The issue comes in where they have tied iCloud to your phone number, which I'm not sure why android hasn't come up with something similar natively. I use google talk. Uses my gmail for IM. Though I too would like an easy way to connect to my friends and wife that stuck with apple and iMessage

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
lol to this day, my husband and I still communicate through Google talk. No need for SMS or phone numbers, even though we do send talk messages through our phones and other talk clients.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
So anyone I know that uses vtok on a apple device when I try to video chat them it will not work unless they have the vtok app pulled up looking at it on their phone its like it will not wake up when running in the background any idea???

This is why me and the wife no longer use GoogleTalk. It isnt as user friendly on iOS since you have to use a third party app. Messages were delayed and at times I would have to actually open the messaging app to see new messages. It wasn't "instant" as I would have preferred. Now we dont even use GoogleTalk when we are both using Android devices. WhatsApp quickly became our personal favorite. We use GoogleTalk if we are looking to video chat. Otherwise WhatsApp is our preference. We've experienced no delay in messaging, it syncs all contacts with phone numbers so it will find all those who also use WhatsApp and tell you their last sign on time to see if they still use it. The messages are truly instant. You can send various media types such as music, video, pictures. You can also share your location through messages. The wife loves all the emoticons available, lol.

We also briefly tried LiveProfile and Kik Messenger. None were as nice as WhatsApp.

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
This is why me and the wife no longer use GoogleTalk. It isnt as user friendly on iOS since you have to use a third party app. Messages were delayed and at times I would have to actually open the messaging app to see new messages. It wasn't "instant" as I would have preferred.

Reason why I don't use third party chat apps. When I got the KFHD, a third party app that supported talk wasn't going to work. It's delayed and inconsistent. I tried a couple, including IMO and IM+ pro, not to mention they were battery killers. Installing talk itself didn't work very well since amazon has a custom ICS build.

Talk to this day is still used and on all android phones and (pure) devices so android to android, I don't need to use third party but I digress.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Whatsapp won't work on a Nexus 7. I find Hookt messenger to be very fast, clean and works on all platforms. You can use it on multiple devices including your computer and continue chatting where you left off. It finds contacts using phone numbers and you can also add contacts with an ID number like on bbm. It's also better than Whatsapp in that it has sent, delivered and read receipts. Whatsapp on the other hand doesn't have read receipts.