Why is Maps keeping it awake and sucking power.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've found the power drain characteristics of my N7 to be reasonable until the past couple of weeks when I've noticed much faster battery drain. Where I used to charge it up every 5-7 days, now it's getting hungry in 2-3 days.

Checking wakelocks and percentage used with GSam reveals Maps is the culprit. Previous Googling suggested clearing data from the Maps app and that helped for a couple of days, but now it's back up to its old tricks.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
probably you have enabled location tracking with report from this device enabled??

check the location service in settings. most of the time its the location services.

My device use 40% on maps. I know its a lot and i have it enabled for few weeks now.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Under Location Access I have "Access to my location" turned on, along with GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile location, but I had those on before.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Under Location Access I have "Access to my location" turned on, along with GPS satellites and Wi-Fi & mobile location, but I had those on before.

turn off GPS. its a battery drainer for Maps.

also, go here open maps-->menu-->settings-->location settings-->UNCHECK Report from this device.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
turn off GPS. its a battery drainer for Maps.

also, go here open maps-->menu-->settings-->location settings-->UNCHECK Report from this device.
I didn't have any of the reports boxes ticked. It's been off the charger for 21 hours and still shows 100%. Weird.

ereming1

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking that Google takes some serious liberties testing out new features on our Nexus devices (and probably others), and this is why battery drain can suddenly go to crap with almost no notice. I've seen it happen on my NS as well. Remember the "miles walked/biked" card a few days ago?

bitseeker

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Check for a running "Network Location Service" (I believe it appears in the details for the running Google Services). I only have GPS on and disabled all location reporting/sharing in Maps, but sometimes the Network Location Service starts up and tries to call home or something. It hasn't happened on my N7 yet, but it happened often on my phone running ICS. Finally, I disabled the service to stop it from starting up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech