Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seriyb
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I flash JB 4.2 right on top of the original 4.1?

I still have not updated by N7 with the recent release because I'm rooted and I've made enough changes (deleted bunch of apks, etc) that the "over-the-air" update will not work.
    When 4.2 comes out, can I just flash it on top of what I have now or will I have to flash with the original 4.1 and then update to 4.2?

Thanks

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Default Re: Can I flash JB 4.2 right on top of the original 4.1?

Quote Originally Posted by tr-1 View Post
    I still have not updated by N7 with the recent release because I'm rooted and I've made enough changes (deleted bunch of apks, etc) that the "over-the-air" update will not work.
    When 4.2 comes out, can I just flash it on top of what I have now or will I have to flash with the original 4.1 and then update to 4.2?

Thanks
    If the last OTA did not install because you altered your system, then the next one will not unless you restore the apps you removed and undo the other changes you made. Sounds like you did not make any backups before tinkering, so you will have to do a factory image restore if you want future OTA's. Fwiw, since you are rooted now you can use TiBu to backup your apps if you want (see the guide in my signature). You will want to move the TiBu backup data from /sdcard/TitaniumBackup to your computer along with any pics, videos, etc you have on the tablet, since the factory image restore will wipe everything. You can then move them back and take the OTA, root it, and restore your apps with TiBu.

Going forward you should have a plan when tinkering if you are going to want OTA updates. Make a nandroid backup of your stock system before changing anything.. then you could restore to that easier than the factory image restore to take the OTA, and use TiBu as before to restore your current apps/data/etc.
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 

most probably it wont work.

It depends on google. if google dont release OTA from 4.1.1-->4.2 then there is no way.

if google only release ota from 4.1.1-->4.1.2-->4.2 then you need to take that route.

why would you remove apk from Nexus 7. It has the least bloatware. if you dont want it dont use it.

again it also depends on what apk u removed. it might fail.
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 

Thanks. I admit, it was stupid of me not to back anything up. I have no problem with factory restore... Everything I have is in the cloud anyway. What's the best way to go about factory image restore? Thanks in advance

Got it... should have looked before asking
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...nexus-7-a.html
    2defmouze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seriyb View Post
    Thanks. I admit, it was stupid of me not to back anything up. I have no problem with factory restore... Everything I have is in the cloud anyway. What's the best way to go about factory image restore? Thanks in advance

Got it... should have looked before asking
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/nex...nexus-7-a.html
    I assume your bootloader is unlocked since you said you removed apps. also i assume you have the adb and everything.

you can follow the guide you mentioned or this one only step 2, if you have adb setup How-To Unlock Bootloader/Factory Restore/Root any NEXUS device
    Last edited by still1; 11-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Thanked by:
    tr-1 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yea. Thank you

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Is there a reason that you wouldn't want to just flash it through custom recovery?
    use either titanium backup or the root toolkit to backup your user apps and data
    boot into recovery, wipe data, flash 4.2, skip initial sign in, open the play store app, download titanium, restore apps and enjoy. I do this for every ROM install...even incremental ones that dont require it. takes me roughly 30 minutes from start to finish and that is with around 90 apps.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    Is there a reason that you wouldn't want to just flash it through custom recovery?
    use either titanium backup or the root toolkit to backup your user apps and data
    boot into recovery, wipe data, flash 4.2, skip initial sign in, open the play store app, download titanium, restore apps and enjoy. I do this for every ROM install...even incremental ones that dont require it. takes me roughly 30 minutes from start to finish and that is with around 90 apps.
    Yeah, that is what I was thinking too... what am I missing?

You should flash 4.1.2 first, there are some updates to 4.1.1 that may or may not be in 4.2. Not sure, haven't seen it yet. But you can't do OTA with a custom recovery (twrp or cwm), you have to have stock recovery. Rooted makes no diff, only the recovery.

But you can wait until the update is posted, download it to the device that way, then flash with cwm or twrp. However, the update script in the zip file will be doing checking on installed system apps, if they have been removed, you will need to put them back first, OR, edit the update script to skip the checking and do the install If you know how to do that, do it. Then flash.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......