Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: Nabi or Nexus 7 for a 6 year old?

I have 6 and 3 year old girls. They both take excellent care of an N7. The 3 year old needs more prompting to do so but follows the restrictions I place on them when they're using it: no walking around with it, no eating, stay where we can see them, no fighting, when mommy or daddy say "off" we mean it. The major difference between what I'm seeing in the thread and what we do is that we made it very clear to them that it's daddy's tablet, not theirs. So they know they need to ask to use it.

If it's a gift for the whole family I'd say go with the Nexus. I have some saved kids shows on Youtube, a flixter account with all of our UV movies, and all our music saved to the cloud. Can they get to my NWA in Play Music? Sure, but that's not what they're looking for and they know what their music looks like. Plus I set up a playlist with just the stuff they like. You'll appreciate the extra space for apps and higher resolution.

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock LG G2 / CM10 G-Nex

I'm going to have to say go with the Nexus 7. I bought 2 for my family, one for me and one for everyone else. They all love it and use it almost everyday. The 5 year old in my family uses it the most. He plays both fun and educational games on it and also does some web surfing and Youtubing. It has proved to be beneficial in helping him to learn and doing some of his own research if he has questions as most young children do. I just have an i-BLASON case on both of mine and they have survived just fine. If you feel that your's may take more of a beating put a TPU case and a screen protector on it as others have suggested.

Any TPU case should work. Although I do suggest SGP screen protectors for all of my devices.

Amazon.com: nexus 7 sgp - Screen Protectors / Accessories: Cell Phones & Accessories
    ~>2BMEISIMPOSSIBLE<~
    ~>2BURSELFISINEVITABLE<~

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.1.1

My kids have a Nook tablet, it works well. It's pretty basic, has most of the popular apps for kids. It was a gift though and if I were purchasing I would have probably gone with a Nexus 7 because in the long run it's a full featured tablet. I would have also looked at the Galaxy Tab 2.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I have a 5 yr old. They can definitely handle the android interface. They don't need a dumbed down, kid's interface.

As for destruction, it really depends on how you ley them use it. If it is just viewed as another one of their toys, that they are allowed to play with as they see fit, it will likely see a lot of abuse. If you treat it as a special privilege that is something they can use at certain times, with a parent's approval, they should be old enough to treat it appropriately.

My son is hard in his toys, but he understands that the tablet is just for playing a little bit before going to bed. It sits on the counter and he leaves it alone during the day.

Basically, they'll treat it with as much respect as you expect them to.

-Suntan
    Exactly right. I let my 5-year-old son play with my 10" GTablet (knock-off from before there were real Android tablets) but he knows there are "rules" about playing on the tablet such as
    • The tablet does not go on the floor. Ever.
    • The tablet goes on the coffee table when we're done. Not the couch.
    • We do not walk around while playing with the tablet.

And he knows breaking those rules means being grounded from the tablet. I had to ground him once, for the rest of the day, because I found the tablet on the floor, but it's never happened again. So long as you teach your kids that the tablet isn't a "toy" and that they have to take care of it or lose the privilege, they usually will. And you've got the added benefit there of teaching them a little bit about responsibility.

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (Rooted) Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    I'm still unsure why everyone is suggesting an N7 because they had success with a Nook or some other tablet. I don't think people here understand what the Nabi 2 is. It's a full Android tablet that uses the same processor that the N7 uses. It's the same price. It has the following pluses over the N7:

1) Included very rugged case
    2) Included kid interface with parental controls
    3) Included 30+ books, educational curriculum apps that teach multiple subjects (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) at levels from Kindergarten through fifth grade)
    4) MicroSD card slot for storing up to 32GB of photos, movies, audiobooks, music, videos, (and apps if you root)
    5) miniHDMI port
    6) Excellent customer support (in my experience)

The N7 has the following pluses over the Nabi:

1) Gets latest updates from Google
    2) Jellybean (vs. Nabi's ICS)
    3) Native support for Google Apps includeing Google Play (without rooting you can get all Google apps working on the Nabi except for Google Play. Google Play will work to browse apps, download movies and books, but not update/install apps. However, this limitation of course goes away if you root the Nabi)
    4) Better screen resolution (1280x800 vs. 1024 x 600)
    5) GPS
    6) More built-in (non-external) storage space (16GB vs. 8GB) (for same $200 price)
    7) Slightly longer battery life (although after some updates, Nabi's battery life went from about 5hrs up to 7-8hrs)

These are the basic differences between the two. Rooted, the Nabi, is more competative with the N7, at least as far as software. Hardwarewise it's kind of a wash as both of things the other doesn't. I think the problem is that most of the respondents have never used a Nabi and so believe that because it's geared towards kids, it must be just a toy. This might have been true about the first Nabi that came out last year, or other kids tablets that try to copy it but without the horsepower of a Tegra 3, but it deserves serious consideration in my opinion...
    I believe his point, though, was that he wanted to know if the N7 would survive use by a 6-year-old so that he would be able to play on it as well

My twins, now six, use a rooted Nook Color and my iPad.
    They are both getting a Nexus 7 for Christmas with a Square Trade Warranty.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Plus you can set profiles with the n7 to block things you mite not see as kid friendly plug the 250 dollar model is a 32 gig now ;D
    INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with the Nexus 7 since it appears it's more than capable of withstanding the hands of a 6 year old. She's about as responsible as a 6 year old can be and has enough exposure to technology that I'm sure she be running the thing as well as me in no time.

Appreciate all the great feedback! Thanks again!

Just in case, I would buy an accidental damage warranty, from something like Squaretrade; I hear Walmart has them for cheap, too. No matter how conscientious she is, accidents do happen. $40 is a lot better than spending $180 to get a cracked screen fixed.

If you don't purchase a separate warranty, I would at least get a rugged case. This one looks like it could survive an avalanche lol: Drop Tech Series Google Nexus 7 Case | Tablets | Gumdrop Cases. This one has no reviews yet, but it definitely screams little girl: Amazon.com: Bobj Rugged Case for Nexus 7 Tablet - BobjGear protective cover - Rockin' Raspberry: Computers & Accessories.

I bought my son a Nexus 7 for his fifth birthday. Having previously used his Mummy's iPad, he wasn't happy about the lack of sound (very low level) from the built-in speakers when watching movies or You Tube content; he now uses headphones which does give the rest of us some peace and quiet! The apps are good and there's lots of content for kids. I was amazed at how quickly he picked up the different technology and functionality having previously just been exposed to Apple. Go for it!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n3vry View Post
    Buy a Nexus 7, then put it in a Gumdrop case, it will be virtually indestructible. No worries mate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    this is what I did with my spare 8gb n7. But for my 16month old son. Not broken it yet, best things he likes is YouTube Bingo song and BBC iPlayer per school cartoons like baby Jake and Charley bear.
    Peter.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Not sure how everyone feels about Wal Mart but just saw today that the Nabi 2 is going to be $129 on black Friday. I'm picking that up for my 4yo son and getting my 8yo daughter the N7. Oh, Daddy's 32GB N7 should be at home waiting for me today after work. I took advantage of the $20 off at Radio Shack yesterday.
    Thanked by:
    dvdmon 
    dvdmon likes this.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davela72 View Post
    Not sure how everyone feels about Wal Mart but just saw today that the Nabi 2 is going to be $129 on black Friday. I'm picking that up for my 4yo son and getting my 8yo daughter the N7. Oh, Daddy's 32GB N7 should be at home waiting for me today after work. I took advantage of the $20 off at Radio Shack yesterday.
    Right! Also, while not quite as good, Best Buy will have it for $169 on Black Friday (the Nabi 2). Radio Shack has some deal for I guess all their electronics where they are giving you coupons worth $10 for every $50 that a purchase is? So essentially it is the same amount off of a Nabi 2, but you then get the coupons mailed to you vs. getting that $30 off immediately...

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

This Radio Shack deal was $20 off instantly making the 32GB N7 $229 with free shipping but unfortunately they charged tax bringing to $242 total, still pretty decent.

I picked up a used 1st gen Kindle fire ($100) for my almost 2 year old son. Rooted, Locked down everything except apps & video, Tossed on a gumdrop case and we were good to go. He already has it mastered. Scary really.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Article on the Nabi 2 that was just posted today and might be helpful in making a decision: Fuhu Nabi: Is The Best Kids' Tablet The Right Choice For You This Christmas? | ZDNet

I have both. The Nabi 2 is for my 7yr old son. The only reasons i would recommend the Nabi is because it has a lot of free content like books an educational things. If you want to keep your child innocent an at her age level, i would choose Nabi. Thats why I did. I didn't want my son thinking he was too grown like me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    AOKP

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Like beavenour I am looking at getting my kids (4 y.o. daughter and 7 y.o. son) a tablet and was leaning heavily towards the N7. But I will take a look at the nabi as well.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Just wanted to mention that the Nabi is going to be $129 at both Best Buy and Walmart for Black Friday. It actually went on sale at Bestbuy.com for that price this morning and sold out, but some people are apparently having luck refreshing the page multiple times and being able to buy it. I tried for the heck of it, and quit after 50 refreshes. But anyway, $129 for something pretty close to an N7 is I think a pretty good deal.

nabi - nabi 2 Tablet - 8GB Memory - NABI2NV7A

They are matching the online price in the store! I just called my local best buy and they have a couple in stock. Even better- I have a gift card. I think the Nabi is a great choice for my 8 year old daughter. Still trying to decide for my 11 year old son.. Has to come from Best Buy though for me.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Fuller View Post
    They are matching the online price in the store! I just called my local best buy and they have a couple in stock. Even better- I have a gift card. I think the Nabi is a great choice for my 8 year old daughter. Still trying to decide for my 11 year old son.. Has to come from Best Buy though for me.
    Really? That's great news, but I wonder if it's dependent on the individual best buy...

Don't judge me but I LOVE the Nabi rubber bumper! Have you seen how this thing protects the tablet. It's really comfortable to hold & so tactile.

~Jaqi~
    Sent from my lovely Nexus 7
    dvdmon likes this.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the Nabi is going to be $129 at both Best Buy and Walmart for Black Friday. It actually went on sale at Bestbuy.com for that price this morning and sold out, but some people are apparently having luck refreshing the page multiple times and being able to buy it. I tried for the heck of it, and quit after 50 refreshes. But anyway, $129 for something pretty close to an N7 is I think a pretty good deal.

nabi - nabi 2 Tablet - 8GB Memory - NABI2NV7A
    Ughhh, I wish I would have caught that earlier, I could have avoided the nasty lines at Wally World.

I think a Nexus 7 would be wonderful for your 6 year old prodigy.
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......

I think it's all Best Buys are doing it.. I ended up buying 2 at my closest Best Buy and then got home and my 2 year old was trying to play with it and preferred it over my iPad! My husband was surprised by how much he liked the Nabi. It really is versatile and there is a way to add the Android Market to have even more apps. He ended up going back out tonight and getting a 3rd Nabi for our 2 year old. We were NOT planning on getting him a tablet at his age, but it was hard to resist at that price point and especially bc we had over $500 in A Best Buy gift card my husband got from work. So for us both Best Buys allowed the price match. We have 3 iPads and 2 iPhones, but right now we're loving the Nabi 2!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast