Nabi or Nexus 7 for a 6 year old?

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I have both. The Nabi 2 is for my 7yr old son. The only reasons i would recommend the Nabi is because it has a lot of free content like books an educational things. If you want to keep your child innocent an at her age level, i would choose Nabi. Thats why I did. I didn't want my son thinking he was too grown like me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ShinKen

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. Like beavenour I am looking at getting my kids (4 y.o. daughter and 7 y.o. son) a tablet and was leaning heavily towards the N7. But I will take a look at the nabi as well.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to mention that the Nabi is going to be $129 at both Best Buy and Walmart for Black Friday. It actually went on sale at Bestbuy.com for that price this morning and sold out, but some people are apparently having luck refreshing the page multiple times and being able to buy it. I tried for the heck of it, and quit after 50 refreshes. :) But anyway, $129 for something pretty close to an N7 is I think a pretty good deal.

nabi - nabi 2 Tablet - 8GB Memory - NABI2NV7A

Kimberly Fuller

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They are matching the online price in the store! I just called my local best buy and they have a couple in stock. Even better- I have a gift card. I think the Nabi is a great choice for my 8 year old daughter. Still trying to decide for my 11 year old son.. Has to come from Best Buy though for me.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
They are matching the online price in the store! I just called my local best buy and they have a couple in stock. Even better- I have a gift card. I think the Nabi is a great choice for my 8 year old daughter. Still trying to decide for my 11 year old son.. Has to come from Best Buy though for me.

Really? That's great news, but I wonder if it's dependent on the individual best buy...

DogPsyche

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't judge me but I LOVE the Nabi rubber bumper! Have you seen how this thing protects the tablet. It's really comfortable to hold & so tactile.

~Jaqi~
Sent from my lovely Nexus 7

davela72

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to mention that the Nabi is going to be $129 at both Best Buy and Walmart for Black Friday. It actually went on sale at Bestbuy.com for that price this morning and sold out, but some people are apparently having luck refreshing the page multiple times and being able to buy it. I tried for the heck of it, and quit after 50 refreshes. :) But anyway, $129 for something pretty close to an N7 is I think a pretty good deal.

nabi - nabi 2 Tablet - 8GB Memory - NABI2NV7A

Ughhh, I wish I would have caught that earlier, I could have avoided the nasty lines at Wally World.

Kimberly Fuller

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it's all Best Buys are doing it.. I ended up buying 2 at my closest Best Buy and then got home and my 2 year old was trying to play with it and preferred it over my iPad! My husband was surprised by how much he liked the Nabi. It really is versatile and there is a way to add the Android Market to have even more apps. He ended up going back out tonight and getting a 3rd Nabi for our 2 year old. We were NOT planning on getting him a tablet at his age, but it was hard to resist at that price point and especially bc we had over $500 in A Best Buy gift card my husband got from work. So for us both Best Buys allowed the price match. We have 3 iPads and 2 iPhones, but right now we're loving the Nabi 2!

toniwithani

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi I bought a Nabi2 primarily for my 3y.o. to watch movies with no Wifi connection, ie: in the car. Nabi support could not help me do this, or, she was still trying after more than a half an hour, and I lost the call. Can you help me? I just want to put two movies on here for my daughter.

dvdmon

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi I bought a Nabi2 primarily for my 3y.o. to watch movies with no Wifi connection, ie: in the car. Nabi support could not help me do this, or, she was still trying after more than a half an hour, and I lost the call. Can you help me? I just want to put two movies on here for my daughter.

Sure, take a look at this blog post, it will walk you through converting DVD's to a digital file and putting them on your Nabi for playing:

Going to the Movies! ~ Everything Nabi!

Kscrap

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
OK...I am late to this party. I too am now looking to buy a tablet for my 6 yr old. He has outgrown most of the games on his MobiGo. He loves learning and can never get enough of his cousin's LeapPad2...but masters the games quickly! He needs a tablet that will grow with his thirst for knowledge and out limiting of fluffy games that offer fast pace but no real learning. This forum has been the one that seems to be on the same page as me. So, now that Christmas is over, and everyone has had time to observe their children, work with all parental controls and play a bit themselves...which one would you buy today?

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Samsung galaxy tab 7.0 for my 8 year old. Here beats the hell out of his stuff so for a 190 price tag on that tab I don't feel bad letting him explore and use the tablet. I think over all functionality and the 7"size is perfect for a youngsters hand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I own a nexus 7 and I bought nabi 2's for my granddaughters ( 4 & 8) for Christmas' so I guess I can compare the two. First, the nabi 2 is geared for kids so it's kid friendly. It is preloaded with lots of educational books and games and kid friendly websites. In kid mode the child can only access approved websites. There is also an area where you can set up a chore chart and reward them with coins that they can exchange for games, etc. You can add apps from their app store or download the Amazon app and get them from them. It is not comparable with Google right now, but I believe there is a work around so you can get some of their apps. Kindle and Nook can also be downloaded. Parents can go into mommy mode and use it like any other tablet.

Disadvantages of the nabi 2 over the nexus 7 is the fact that Google does not work easily with it and you cannot download movies from Amazon or Google.( Movies can be added to the SD card by using something like DVD Catalyst.) Some of Amazon's apps are not comparable with the Nabi.

I guess you could get a rubber bumper for the nexus 7 and I have seen apps that are supposed to convert a tablet into a kid friendly one if you want to go that route. I hope this makes some sense.

ZarathustraHead

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For kids, I would recommend the ipad mini w defender case. The iOS apps are better for kids, and kids that age won't care about the minis' miserable screen resolution.

sent from my Note 2

Last edited:

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I have the ipad 1 and nexus 7 and the Kindle fire.
Now Imo I would use nexus 7... It's something we can use add well.
I however use the nexus 7 add an ereader, it blows the Kindle or out of the water w directly downloads from epub sites to ereader apps..
There are fun games and she won enjoy it.
The fire has lots of games is cheape(I st gen)
Ipad is good too... And her primary toy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

nancybout

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree about ipad for kids.. Very easy. My daughter had to haven't me point out her folder and her apps on the nexus and my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
For a 6 year old? How about crayons, some paper, some Lego and encouraging the imagination?

:-\

Failing that, how about something like the recently released (at least in North America) Asus MemoPad 7? I'm not convinced that a 6 year old needs the horsepower (or cost outlay) of more expensive units - unless they are particularly precocious and are building apps and/or checking their stock portfolio and doing day trading...