Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Default Re: Nabi or Nexus 7 for a 6 year old?

Hi I bought a Nabi2 primarily for my 3y.o. to watch movies with no Wifi connection, ie: in the car. Nabi support could not help me do this, or, she was still trying after more than a half an hour, and I lost the call. Can you help me? I just want to put two movies on here for my daughter.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toniwithani View Post
    Hi I bought a Nabi2 primarily for my 3y.o. to watch movies with no Wifi connection, ie: in the car. Nabi support could not help me do this, or, she was still trying after more than a half an hour, and I lost the call. Can you help me? I just want to put two movies on here for my daughter.
    Sure, take a look at this blog post, it will walk you through converting DVD's to a digital file and putting them on your Nabi for playing:

Going to the Movies! ~ Everything Nabi!

ok, thank you. i'm going to try that

OK...I am late to this party. I too am now looking to buy a tablet for my 6 yr old. He has outgrown most of the games on his MobiGo. He loves learning and can never get enough of his cousin's LeapPad2...but masters the games quickly! He needs a tablet that will grow with his thirst for knowledge and out limiting of fluffy games that offer fast pace but no real learning. This forum has been the one that seems to be on the same page as me. So, now that Christmas is over, and everyone has had time to observe their children, work with all parental controls and play a bit themselves...which one would you buy today?

I purchased the Samsung galaxy tab 7.0 for my 8 year old. Here beats the hell out of his stuff so for a 190 price tag on that tab I don't feel bad letting him explore and use the tablet. I think over all functionality and the 7"size is perfect for a youngsters hand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I own a nexus 7 and I bought nabi 2's for my granddaughters ( 4 & 8) for Christmas' so I guess I can compare the two. First, the nabi 2 is geared for kids so it's kid friendly. It is preloaded with lots of educational books and games and kid friendly websites. In kid mode the child can only access approved websites. There is also an area where you can set up a chore chart and reward them with coins that they can exchange for games, etc. You can add apps from their app store or download the Amazon app and get them from them. It is not comparable with Google right now, but I believe there is a work around so you can get some of their apps. Kindle and Nook can also be downloaded. Parents can go into mommy mode and use it like any other tablet.

Disadvantages of the nabi 2 over the nexus 7 is the fact that Google does not work easily with it and you cannot download movies from Amazon or Google.( Movies can be added to the SD card by using something like DVD Catalyst.) Some of Amazon's apps are not comparable with the Nabi.

I guess you could get a rubber bumper for the nexus 7 and I have seen apps that are supposed to convert a tablet into a kid friendly one if you want to go that route. I hope this makes some sense.
    liljew likes this.

For kids, I would recommend the ipad mini w defender case. The iOS apps are better for kids, and kids that age won't care about the minis' miserable screen resolution.

sent from my Note 2
    Last edited by ZarathustraHead; 03-18-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Note 3
    Note 8.0
    Nexus 10
    nancybout and liljew like this.

I have the ipad 1 and nexus 7 and the Kindle fire.
    Now Imo I would use nexus 7... It's something we can use add well.
    I however use the nexus 7 add an ereader, it blows the Kindle or out of the water w directly downloads from epub sites to ereader apps..
    There are fun games and she won enjoy it.
    The fire has lots of games is cheape(I st gen)
    Ipad is good too... And her primary toy lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I agree about ipad for kids.. Very easy. My daughter had to haven't me point out her folder and her apps on the nexus and my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    726 Global Posts

For a 6 year old? How about crayons, some paper, some Lego and encouraging the imagination?

Failing that, how about something like the recently released (at least in North America) Asus MemoPad 7? I'm not convinced that a 6 year old needs the horsepower (or cost outlay) of more expensive units - unless they are particularly precocious and are building apps and/or checking their stock portfolio and doing day trading...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123