Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Staples exchange policy

Hey folks. I was just curious, when you exchange a tablet at Staples do they renew the 14-day return/exchange policy, or do they exchange it outright without any difference on the days when you paid for it? Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by CCIFA; 11-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Default Don't buy from Staples!!!

I made the mistake of buying my Nexus 7 from Staples when it first came out because they were the only store to have it in stock at that time.

I was having an issue with my Nexus 7. I called Google for support. They could not resolve the issue and said that if I had bought the Nexus 7 from the Google Store, they would just send me a new tablet. They then suggested I take it back to Staples and exchange it. Unfortunately, this was on day 15 when I finally got around to calling Google for this issue. So when I called Staples to see if they had any in stock, they told me I could not exchange it because I was outside of the 14 days. I asked if they would exchange it if I bought their extended warranty plan and they said no and that I would have to contact the manufacturer. I was shocked! I am SO glad that I didn't buy their extended warranty plan!

I called Google support back and they said that since I didn't buy the Nexus 7 from them and that Staples wouldn't exchange it, I would have to contact Asus. I then contacted Asus and they said I would have to send my 15 day old Nexus 7 to them for repair. Where as if I bought it directly from Google, they would have just sent me a new one and once I received it, send the one I had back.

I was pretty bummed out that I was going to have send my Nexus 7 into Asus for service. Fortunately though, I figured out the issue and solved it myself and didn't have to send it into Asus!

So my advice would be to NOT buy any electronics from Staples!

Default Re: Staples exchange policy

Quote Originally Posted by pjniez View Post
    I made the mistake of buying my Nexus 7 from Staples when it first came out because they were the only store to have it in stock at that time.

I was having an issue with my Nexus 7. I called Google for support. They could not resolve the issue and said that if I had bought the Nexus 7 from the Google Store, they would just send me a new tablet. They then suggested I take it back to Staples and exchange it. Unfortunately, this was on day 15 when I finally got around to calling Google for this issue. So when I called Staples to see if they had any in stock, they told me I could not exchange it because I was outside of the 14 days. I asked if they would exchange it if I bought their extended warranty plan and they said no and that I would have to contact the manufacturer. I was shocked! I am SO glad that I didn't buy their extended warranty plan!

I called Google support back and they said that since I didn't buy the Nexus 7 from them and that Staples wouldn't exchange it, I would have to contact Asus. I then contacted Asus and they said I would have to send my 15 day old Nexus 7 to them for repair. Where as if I bought it directly from Google, they would have just sent me a new one and once I received it, send the one I had back.

I was pretty bummed out that I was going to have send my Nexus 7 into Asus for service. Fortunately though, I figured out the issue and solved it myself and didn't have to send it into Asus!

So my advice would be to NOT buy any electronics from Staples!
    Respectfully, I don't understand why you would give this advice. Did you not read Staples return policy when you bought your N7? Isn't that your responsibility?

I understand that you may not like the policy because it only allows a 14 day return period, but it sounds like you're upset because you didn't know this would be their policy and we're caught off guard. Or maybe you're upset because Staples actually follows their policy, though if they didn't, I'm not quite sure why they'd have any policy at all.

Staples policy for electronics isn't unusual. Office Depot also has a 14 day return period http://www.officedepot.com/renderSta...ce/Refunds.jsp, while Walmart is 15 days http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/...returns-policy. Even Google Play Store is 15 days http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer/2411741. Others offer a more generous 30 days, like Best Buy http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at260800050014 and Target http://www.target.com/HelpContent?he...d_refunds.html. But would you also be upset with one of them if you tried to do an exchange on day 31 and were refused?

All stores have policies. It's your responsibility to find out what the policy is before you check out, and to assume that policy will be strictly followed. And although some retailers might be a little more flexible than others, if they aren't, that's not a good reason to advise against them. If they are more flexible, give them a thumbs up. But don't give a thumbs down if they actually follow their own policy.

Anyway, I'm happy you fixed the problem (what was it?) and didn't have to deal with Asus and be without your N7 for a few weeks. And perhaps the silver lining is that you learned a lot about return policies and the importance of knowing them.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

So, since no one answered the OP, yes the 14 day timer is renewed when the exchanged one is delivered. I went through a few of them.

And be sure to check the gallery when you get it. My last one which didn't have any issues was apparently a return because I had a photo of some guy working out on it...I should have posted it before deleting it, but it was hilarious. Last N7 doesn't have any issues though...
    Thanked by:
    CCIFA 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by kenyee View Post
    So, since no one answered the OP, yes the 14 day timer is renewed when the exchanged one is delivered. I went through a few of them.

And be sure to check the gallery when you get it. My last one which didn't have any issues was apparently a return because I had a photo of some guy working out on it...I should have posted it before deleting it, but it was hilarious. Last N7 doesn't have any issues though...
    Thank you for answering my question. I guess I forgot to mention that I'm currently still within the 14-day exchange/return time frame from returning it from a previous time without just doing an exchange. Sorry for possible confusion to other posters. That's funny about the picture, I bet it was pretty amusing. I'll definitely check that out when I return it.