Faulty Product | Google won't replace unless I pay upfront for a second one!

Stephanie Kunder

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
AVOID PURCHASING THIS DIRECTLY FROM GOOGLE! Speakers blew out on my within two months of purchase and Google won't replace unless I pay up front for a second one and then am refunded after I return the broken one! Won't even let me ship back the broken one to wait on a new one. Called their tech support and "Jason" LAUGHED AT ME. The supervisor "Stephanie" would provide no solution to the problem other then me shelling out $250. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Google's return policy is 15 days. You're talking 2 months! Consider yourself lucky that they're even willing to give you an exchange, regardless of how they're doing it. Normally you'd have to get warranty service done by Asus (arranged through Google) after this much time has passed, and be without your N7 for a few weeks. Jason probably laughed in amazement (or frustration) that you actually expected a free replacement, not repair service, 45 days after the end of the return window. He probably should have waited to laugh until after hanging up with you, but I can understand his reaction.

Read the policy: http://support.google.com/googleplay/?hl=en#/answer/2411741
Replacements:
Within 15 days of delivery, if you happen to receive a defective device that you'd like to exchange for a functioning device, please email our support team. We'll work with you on next steps or connect you directly to our partners for replacement options.

Regular warranty service and out of warranty repairs:
After 15 days from delivery or for an out of warranty repair, please review warranty information for your device.

Nexus 7 limited warranty:
The Nexus 7 is manufactured by ASUSTeK Computer Inc. ASUS provides a limited 12 month warranty for the Nexus 7. Please refer to the warranty card in the Nexus 7 packaging or review ASUS' limited warranty details.
If your Nexus 7 was purchased from Google Play, please contact Google customer support for service on the ASUS limited 12 month warranty.
If your Nexus 7 wasn't purchased from Google Play or you're looking for out of warranty repair service, please contact ASUS directly.

iHelpYouShy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Try to wait it out for a few days and see if your speakers will come back to life. Same thing happened to me. Got my Nexus 7 and within a week, I had speaker problems. I thought it was blown and RMA'd my N7. A few days later, while waiting for my replacement device, my speakers decided to work again.

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with MJKearney -

Your N7 is past the return time. Is it under warranty - Yes! But almost all warranty work usually requires you to ship your item back to the manufacturer for repair.

Google has no obligation to send you a NEW tablet 2 months later and I wouldn't expect them to. Send yours in and get it fixed and move on.

I sent a tablet to ASUS for warranty work (a TF101) and had it back in 1 week.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised they won't let you ship it back & wait, and the CSR shouldn't have laughed, but the rest is very standard practice. And if you had purchased elsewhere, past the return period (unless you paid for an extended warranty that changes the process) you would be dealing with the same thing (though perhaps via Asus instead of Google). Manufacturers almost never take their customers' word for it when it comes to defective items, and aren't going to give credit until they confirm the issue. There are far too many people looking to scam their way to a free device, and far too many others that report defects when the real problem is user error. This is why we can't have nice things.

That said, I would generally encourage people to buy from a local retailer. In the case of a factory defect, exchange is much, much easier. But again, past that return period, you're going to be dealing with the manufacturer.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I would generally encourage people to buy from a local retailer. In the case of a factory defect, exchange is much, much easier. But again, past that return period, you're going to be dealing with the manufacturer.
There are pluses and minuses to this, but I generally agree. Yet here's someone who would disagree. You can't make everybody happy all the time (especially if they don't read the return policy):
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2301548

johnwccres

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think this is pretty crappy service. I recently had an HP printer start to go funny after I'd had it 6 months - Amazon replaced it no questions asked. Now that is customer service.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I think this is pretty crappy service. I recently had an HP printer start to go funny after I'd had it 6 months - Amazon replaced it no questions asked. Now that is customer service.
Google's policy may not be the most generous one, and there are better return policies out there, but that doesn't equate to "crappy service". It's simply fulfilling exactly what they promised. Actually, in this case, they were willing to go beyond their stated policy by providing a replacement long after the return period.

Instead, if your printer story is accurate, in that all you did was simply (without any argument) request a replacement printer six months after you bought it, didn't have to deal with the manufacturer, didn't have to pay for the replacement before they would send it out (and then get reimbursed after returning the defective item), and there weren't any other extenuating circumstances (e.g. Amazon made a mistake by allowing this replacement), then you are correct. That indeed is great customer service, above and beyond the call of duty, as well as their standard 30 day return and replacement policy. That warrants praising and recommending Amazon, but it doesn't make Google's service "crappy".

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
The crappy part will be waiting for the refund of the old/new device. It took them 2 months to refund me and many others. Compared to Amazon in less than 72 hours from when UPS picks it up from you.

If the Nexus 4 was on pre-order on Amazon I would have already bought it. From Google Play only at that price is scary.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Google's policy may not be the most generous one, and there are better return policies out there, but that doesn't equate to "crappy service". It's simply fulfilling exactly what they promised. Actually, in this case, they were willing to go beyond their stated policy by providing a replacement long after the return period.

Instead, if your printer story is accurate, in that all you did was simply (without any argument) request a replacement printer six months after you bought it, didn't have to deal with the manufacturer, didn't have to pay for the replacement before they would send it out (and then get reimbursed after returning the defective item), and there weren't any other extenuating circumstances (e.g. Amazon made a mistake by allowing this replacement), then you are correct. That indeed is great customer service, above and beyond the call of duty, as well as their standard 30 day return and replacement policy. That warrants praising and recommending Amazon, but it doesn't make Google's service "crappy".

Plus Amazon probably doesn't want the old printer back. Most printers are throwaway items, and even if it was repairable, the labor cost would exceed the unit value very quickly, unless this is a high end printer.

johnwccres

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Plus Amazon probably doesn't want the old printer back. Most printers are throwaway items, and even if it was repairable, the labor cost would exceed the unit value very quickly, unless this is a high end printer.

Yeah it was only a ?50 printer. Looking back at what I wrote, it's not quite right - they didn't replace it, they just refunded the money. I bought a Canon instead :p

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The crappy part will be waiting for the refund of the old/new device. It took them 2 months to refund me and many others. Compared to Amazon in less than 72 hours from when UPS picks it up from you.
Yes, that might fall under the definition of "crappy". I'm sure glad they let us use the word "crappy" here in the forum. It would be crappy if they didn't and it would make me feel crappy. Okay, that's enough crap for now.

Sent from my anything-but-crappy Nexus 7

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. It's silly that Google only offers Advanced/Express replacement. I'm usually too impatient for standard service, but it should be available for people unwilling or unable to accept a charge for a defective product they have already paid for once. I don't think I have ever dealt with a tech company that doesn't offer the slower option, and I have gone through the rma process hundreds of times over the years. It's a shabby way to treat a customer in my opinion.

Tizwas1

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the USA and UK differ in consumer law. Under the UK sales of goods act 1979 the contract is with the retailer who have an obligation to repair, replace or refund the consumer if a product develops a fault within the warranty period. My Nexus 7 has developed a fault and Google want me to fork out for a replacement pending receipt of my faulty one. Say they receive my nexus and believe I have caused the fault? I may disagree and wish to have it independently examined but I will have already purchased the replacement. Google are holding us to ransom.

nexus7man

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the USA and UK differ in consumer law. Under the UK sales of goods act 1979 the contract is with the retailer who have an obligation to repair, replace or refund the consumer if a product develops a fault within the warranty period. My Nexus 7 has developed a fault and Google want me to fork out for a replacement pending receipt of my faulty one. Say they receive my nexus and believe I have caused the fault? I may disagree and wish to have it independently examined but I will have already purchased the replacement. Google are holding us to ransom.

Thats right, there are also distance selling regulations here in the UK, The sale of goods act can argue that even though the manufacturers warranty has expired the item should still last a ''reasonable amount of time'' before needing repair.
I had the same problem with a faulty Nexus 7 and Googles returns policy,the thing was DOA, I think people from the UK simply dont expect it as here the onus is upon the retailer to get the item to you in good working new condition, if this is not the case they have failed in their obligation to the seller and thuis the seller should not suffer any more loss, albeit not a permanent loss.