Why can't I find a Nexus 7 without screen lift issues ?

screaming chief

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Just rejected my seventh, purchased (as well as an eighth that I opened and rejected in front of store staff) Nexus 7 in the UK

I simply can't believe that I am unable to purchase a Nexus 7 that doesn't have really horrendous issues, with what must be the glass not being properly glued to the device.

So called "customer champions" in my local store look at me as if I am overreacting to the issue where any pressure put on the left or right screen edges (anywhere at all along the height of the left hand side and from the middle to the topof the right hand side) results in the display beneath rippling like a solar powered calculator.

Apparently, says the "customer champion" "my Ipad does that, but worse" in which case I think either the guy is a liar or a muppet, or both.

I don't recall Google or Asus saying that the screen issues were a "feature" of the Nexus 7, but I simply can't fathom how, now that they have moved to the 32gb variant, that the units at retail are every bit as bad as the first batches that hit the market.

Anyone else had the same level of (lack of) luck with these models ?

I see the Nexus 10 is being built by Samsung, without reading up on it, does that answer the question about Googles view on the reliability/build quality of the units assembled by Asus ?

Thanks.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a 16GB last weekend. Doesn't have a trace of lift on it.

Anyway, are you continuing to look for a good one at the same store? Perhaps a trip to a different store would help. If they got all these in the same batch, chances are higher that they would have similar issues.

-Suntan

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just bought a 16GB last weekend. Doesn't have a trace of lift on it.
Anyway, are you continuing to look for a good one at the same store? Perhaps a trip to a different store would help. If they got all these in the same batch, chances are higher that they would have similar issues.
-Suntan

Seconded... try another location or else you are stuck getting replacements from the same run / lot.

screaming chief

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I take your point re the batch from same store.

The first four or five, were bought in launch week, back end of July if I recall ?

Tried two different locatons of same electrical retailer, as well as a different retailer in home location.

Settled on best of bad bunch, had one dead pixel in area not often viewed and didnt really notice any screen lift issues.

Yesterday (after not really using the device much), noticed that, it too now had screen lift on left hand edge as bad as ones previously rejected.

Remember that all of these were 16gb models.

Today I returned the faulty 16gb and opened two new 32gb models, both of which instantly exhibiyed same screen lift issue.

Suggests to me that all of the returned 16gb models were just refurbed and turned into 32gb without any fix for screen lift.

It's inconceivable that Google/Asus haven't tightened up build processes and are suffering same faults from 3-4 months ago.

The models I have viewed, you don't even have to get past the welcome screen on first boot to see that they suffer from ridiculous levels of screen lift which doubtless means every touch of the screen is more like a heavy prod than a tap because its much less responsive than it should be, if the glass was properly anchored.

Just so disappointed and frustrated at this point.

I know the Nexus 10 has been built by Samsung, so i'm hoping that the build quality of those is better, as, if I try one of those and get issues, I think Android devices are going to be off my watch list for the future.

F0REVERY0UNG-

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I brought 1 and my dad brought 5 and none of them have this issue.
I echo the other posters, it might be best for you to go to a different store as the one you've been going to might just have a bad batch.

screaming chief

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Have already tried three different batches, from different retailers and locations 40 miles apart.

I wonder if people are using their Nexus 7's without actually spotting this issue ?

Glass lifting issue made the touch screen a lot less responsive than it should be, but maybe people just got used to this from new, as they knew no different ?

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I guess I just don't understand the big deal in screen lift. I've had screen lift since august on my n7. You can't notice it unless you look for it. It's kept in a case. And it doesn't affect the n7 whatsoever. It's a $200 tablet. The craftsmanship will not be of apple quality. Also, why they let you return a tablet 7 times is beyond me. That's just ridiculous.

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
My nexus 7 (16GB), purchased at launch from Google does show a tiny bit of screen lift, but it works fine and would have been more trouble to exchange over such a mostly unnoticeable issue. Three lift is less than half a millimeter, and with the case on, isn't at all noticeable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

CCIFA

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
It really is astounding that Asus still has questionable build quality on these devices since the launch months ago. I took mine back within the 14 day return/exchange timeframe and tried the Kindle Fire HD. I must say, the build quality is above and beyond fantastic for a similarly priced tablet. Right out of the box and as soon as I turned on the screen, not one single problem, not even a hint of light bleeding. It almost felt like it was built by military grade standards. And this was just a single tablet I tried of the Kindle Fire HD, I didn't have to return over and over due to abysmal quality. I did return it because I couldn't justify keeping it just for the sake of build quality due to Amazon's complete lockdown on said tablet. (Which is worse than iOS, IMO)

So I returned it a day later picked up another Nexus 7 (32gb) again. I must say it's definitely better than previous versions. It still has subtle light bleeding and I'm definitely sure that they're still missing a couple screws on the left side because the screen feels crunchy in a certain spot on the left side. Albeit no screen lifting, though. Forgot to mention the speakers on the Kindle, wowzers. I wish the build quality was like the KFHD, but what can you do. I am happy with my Nexus 7 and will be doing more exchanges until I find the right one. That's all I have to say on that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I am lucky but I have two 16 Gig C80's with no screen lift or creaking or rippling when pressing the screen both function perfectly and are very responsive. I am very picky and really looked both over very closely and I can't find any issues. You really have to be unlucky to go through 7 bad ones, maybe you should let someone else buy it for you. :)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, humpf! Here we go again.

I'm sooooo unlucky. I've had (insert ridiculously stupid number here) of bad N7's and I just can't seem to figure it out. I'm not really that bright, and haven't yet thought about GOING INTO THE STORE AND LOOKING AT ONE BEFORE PAYING FOR IT. But maybe after my (insert larger ridiculously stupid number here), I could figure it out.

Welcome to the forum on your 1st post.

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So called "customer champions" in my local store look at me as if I am overreacting to the issue where any pressure put on the left or right screen edges (anywhere at all along the height of the left hand side and from the middle to the topof the right hand side) results in the display beneath rippling like a solar powered calculator.

Apparently, says the "customer champion" "my Ipad does that, but worse" in which case I think either the guy is a liar or a muppet, or both.

.. Isn't that normal? I don't think screen rippling is the same thing as screen lift. If the screen rippling upon pressure is the reason you're returning devices, I think you should just come to terms with the fact that N7's do that. I literally never noticed until I tested it just now, and it has absolutely no impact on my usage of the tablet.

bmwforme

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am ocd as well.. but I think of it as, if I am buying a brand new product, why does it have these flaws, 2-3 months down the road, whatever maybe I did it.. but out of the box..

two from gamestop, both have it, 2nd one is nowhere near as bad as the first (C90 16gb).. that one creaked when I tapped on screen, its all good though; whenever I think about the iPad Mini, I look at my iphone, Mac Book Pro, and then my bank statement and say hey, I saved ~$140 getting this awesome Nexus ! :)

dmcincubus

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes, folks. If you press hard on the screen, it ripples. So don't press hard on it. Doesn't mean it's defective. Jesus Christ.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, folks. If you press hard on the screen, it ripples. So don't press hard on it. Doesn't mean it's defective. Jesus Christ.

I finally had to realize that... If they all do it then it can't be fixed and if it can't be fixed it must not be broken.

screaming chief

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't in any way pressing "hard on the screen" but since the screen lift means you actually have to use a slightly heavier touch, to get the device to react to what should be a fairly soft input, doesnt make using the device a satisfying experience.Some of the 16gb versions I rejected, the left hand side glass was clearly visible above the bezel and there's no way that's normal spec, for this or any other machine.

Sadly there does seem to be some people who are very overprotective of the device as they were lucky enough to get a "good one", but there are also sadly a number of people who comment and are, without cause, rude to the OP, who in most cases, would love to be able to find a unit that was of adequate build quality.

We didnt buy it simply to return it.We bought it to use and enjoy and our definition of acceptable build quality may be different than yours, but that doesnt make us wrong and you right.

I cant find any justification for being rude and abusive to people who ask genuine questions about other peoples experiences of a device.Isn't that the purpose of a forum ?

ep1977

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 & so does my son. They were brought a couple months apart @ different stores & neither has any screen lift issues. They are built pretty well especially 4 the great price!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois