GPS question

rwave

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app for my nexus7 that will allow me to record a point that I'm located at. Actual co-ordinates is what I would like to have so I can later add these points to a topo map. Google maps came with the nexus and if it's capable of that I haven't figured it out.

Thanks
Ray

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I searched the Google Play app store for "my coordinates" and got some results. "GPS coordinates and location" looks promising, and the paid version "My GPS coordinates Pro" might be worth looking at too. There are some other results that look like they'd be worth a look too.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
any navigation app should record your location, but I'm not sure if they'd get your actual coordinates though. There's a free version of CoPilot (without turn-by-turn nav or 3d maps) wherein you can save your current location.

Jelf

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Gmap4 is a browser app (not a native app) that displays high resolution topo maps for the USA plus all the standard Google map views.
Since it is a browser app (1) you do not have to download or install anything and (2) your browser has to be online.
To see the coordinates for your location touch Menu ==> My location
Check to make sure that the GPS in your phone is turned on.

Just open this link in the browser on your phone. Gmap4 works in almost all browsers on almost all devices.
Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

To display the high resolution topo map, zoom in a bunch and then select "t4 Topo High".
One way to zoom in is by Menu ==> Search.

Full disclosure: I am the developer of Gmap4. This project is part of my way of 'paying it forward'. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, examples, quick start info (in the Help file) and more to quickly get you up to speed.
Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html

In the current beta version Gmap4 starts to work more like a dedicated GPS with an improved 'My location' feature.
For beta info and a link please see: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4_beta.html

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy

Digbee

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Just seen your post. The main reason I use Nexus 7 is for off road 4x4 events as its not reliant on a-gps (assisted GPS) like all the other devices now, but
Uses good old GPS raw. So no signal to a network like in a wooded valley in middle of no where means your still going to know where you are.
I've used view ranger, for years from symbian days on Nokia's to now on nexus 7. Prior to this used to use memory map on pda'a with bluetooth gps devices or laptops before that it was paper maps and compass - and that was 12 years ago.
You can export your route via the gpx file format. Just have a look on their website it might just suit your needs for collecting waypoints.
You can also get free version from Google play - viewranger.
It works. Paid Beta version now works at night and gives graphs of your route, so if on foot, horse, bike, plane, car or boat its excellent.
Peter.

DroidAnn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
If you're looking for a simple app that tells you your GPS coordinates and GPS satellite info try using inViu GPS-details.

Otherwise the same guys just launched a free GPS tracking app called inViu routes. It records travel routes, POIs, GPS photos, and shares them via email and social media apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante