Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus7 Questions

    Hey everyone, first post here but Iíve been learning a ton just by lurking. I am pretty much all Apple; I have a Macbook Air (love it), iPhone 5 (bored by how perfectly it works for me), andÖ..a 32gb Nexus 7 tablet that I just picked up to mess around with. I used to have a Nexus One (when I left my iPhone 3GS because I was bored with it) and it was an awful decision. Many people loved that phone but it was completely unpolished ended up hating the whole experience. Despite that, I knew there was a fair bit of potential there. I have been itching to pick up an Android device again to see what advancements have been made and was nearly decided on getting the Nexus4, but balked at the idea of no LTE. I decided to keep my iPhone 5, pick up a Nexus tablet, and see if I like Android and if a future model of Nexus will have LTE.
    I had a few questions regarding the device/apps now that Iíve picked it up:

    -I downloaded NewsRob for RSS feeds. This is one of my main uses of the device. I really like the app but need one feature that it doesnít seem to have. I would like to schedule RSS synchronization at a couple set times during the day. I often run out of my place in the morning and it would be great if a background sync occurred right before that as I donít have WiFi when Iím out and about. I would also appreciate a widget that have the most recent posts displayed.

    -What is the best app that deals with the stock market? Iíd like a widget that gives me quote/chart/fundamentals (fundamentals might not be realistic but what the hell).

    -Iím confused on what updates in the background (and thus keeps things up to date while also draining battery) and what doesnít. Does it matter if Iíve removed it from the multitasking pane? Is there a system-wide list that tells me what is using background processing?

    Thanks for any help.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus7 Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by steelemagnate View Post
    -What is the best app that deals with the stock market? Iíd like a widget that gives me quote/chart/fundamentals (fundamentals might not be realistic but what the hell).
    Welcome back to Android! For stocks I like SigFig. It includes an optional widget for a home screen. I also have Stock Chaos, but don't really use it much since getting SigFig.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus7 Questions

    I read rss all day but ive always found that google reader is my favorite. Its syncs with the rest of your services and its widget takes up an entire homescreen for me. Ive found that it works the best for me. Especially before I had a data connection during the day. I star things i want to follow up on and it organizes in newest at the top by default which I like for rss

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    nexusisneecesary's Avatar

    Posts
    4,242 Posts
    ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

    Default Re: Nexus7 Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by steelemagnate View Post
    Hey everyone, first post here but Iíve been learning a ton just by lurking. I am pretty much all Apple; I have a Macbook Air (love it), iPhone 5 (bored by how perfectly it works for me), andÖ..a 32gb Nexus 7 tablet that I just picked up to mess around with. I used to have a Nexus One (when I left my iPhone 3GS because I was bored with it) and it was an awful decision. Many people loved that phone but it was completely unpolished ended up hating the whole experience. Despite that, I knew there was a fair bit of potential there. I have been itching to pick up an Android device again to see what advancements have been made and was nearly decided on getting the Nexus4, but balked at the idea of no LTE. I decided to keep my iPhone 5, pick up a Nexus tablet, and see if I like Android and if a future model of Nexus will have LTE.
    I had a few questions regarding the device/apps now that Iíve picked it up:

    -I downloaded NewsRob for RSS feeds. This is one of my main uses of the device. I really like the app but need one feature that it doesnít seem to have. I would like to schedule RSS synchronization at a couple set times during the day. I often run out of my place in the morning and it would be great if a background sync occurred right before that as I donít have WiFi when Iím out and about. I would also appreciate a widget that have the most recent posts displayed.

    -What is the best app that deals with the stock market? Iíd like a widget that gives me quote/chart/fundamentals (fundamentals might not be realistic but what the hell).

    -Iím confused on what updates in the background (and thus keeps things up to date while also draining battery) and what doesnít. Does it matter if Iíve removed it from the multitasking pane? Is there a system-wide list that tells me what is using background processing?

    Thanks for any help.
    First off google finance works fine and it includes a widget...and so should newsrob, the play store is the only thing i know of that updates in the background so you should be fine if battery life is a concern for you then perhaps you should disable google now..this will increase battery life...(only slightly)..
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus7 Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by nexusisneecesary View Post
    the play store is the only thing i know of that updates in the background so you should be fine if battery life is a concern for you then perhaps you should disable google now..this will increase battery life...(only slightly)..
    Lots of things update or sync in the background. It depends on what apps you have and what accounts you have set up. This is my understanding, but I'm not an expert, so this isn't a definitive guide:

    To turn off syncing of all accounts (Gmail, Facebook, Skype, etc.), place the Power Control widget on a home screen, then tap the icon with the two circular arrows. (I use the Power Toggles widget from the Play Store instead, as it has a lot more options.)

    To turn off syncing of individual accounts, go to Settings -> Accounts, then choose the account for which you want to disable sync. Uncheck the box for sync, or follow the available links to access the options page of the account's app to control sync options.

    For other apps, go to the settings menu of each app and configure sync and updating options from there.

    To see what apps are running in the background, go to Settings -> Device -> Apps, then scroll to the Running tab. Or download one of the many apps available that provide this information in more detail. I use OS Monitor and SystemPanel.

    I'm not sure what you mean by "multitasking pane". If you mean widgets on the home screen, if that widget is updating information, then obviously removing it will remove the updating function. Some apps let you control the frequency that the widget updates.

    One other thing you can do is to globally prevent your device from allowing apps to access your location, which might be a battery saver, but probably not significantly. Go to Settings -> Personal -> Location Access, and turn off "Access to my location" and uncheck "WiFi & mobile network location".

    Personally, I don't think any of these things has a significant affect on battery consumption. It's probably just better to go into airplane mode when not using your N7.

    Sent from my Nexus 7
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nexus7 Questions

    The multitasking pane (recent apps), is just like double clicking the home button on iOS. Other apps run in the background and as said before, you can go to Settings>Apps>Running to see what's happening.

    Sent from my Nexus 7

Similar Threads

  1. Copy / paste question
    By FAndroid in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
  2. HTC Hero Questions
    By Chaos_Fonez in forum HTC Hero
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
  3. Misc android/g1 questions
    By ericdroid in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
  4. Contacts Question
    By EastBay in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions