Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AidenSurvival
  • 1 Post By RichardRight
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Default Just bought my Nexus 7!

Alongside the bluetooth keyboard, this thing kicks major ***! I love it.

Since I'm a newbie to the Nexus devices, what all do I need to know?

Should I root it? (Rooted devices like the Evo 3D and Kyocera Hydo, so rooting isn't new to me.)

What apps would you recommend for a tablet?

This is my first tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Just bought my Nexus 7!

No need to root the Nexus 7, stock is quite nice. If you're looking for some good apps, I recommend Ski Safari and Jetpack Joyride. The Tegra 3 games are fun as well.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

TV Portal is a must have app. Great selection of movies and TV shows. I canceled my netflix account for this. Plus its free and ad free.Tune in radio is awesome- you can listen to thousands of live and internet streaming radio stations all over the country. Crackle, Vevo, TMZ, Fandango, cut the rope and a police scanner app to help you get going. All the above apps I listed are free.

I'm trying hard right now to fight the urge of buying a bt keyboard!!!

Apps:
    Nova Launcher
    Swift Key Tablet
    Pocket
    Wizz Widgets
    APW Widgets
    Evernote
    Tasker
    Friendcaster
    Plume
    Conjure
    gReater Pro
    AppAware
    Playboard
    FlipLauncher Tap Quick Bar
    Dock4Droid
    Notif
    GTasks
    Regularly
    MX Player
    Dolphin Jetpack
    Ugly Booth
    News360

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    I'm trying hard right now to fight the urge of buying a bt keyboard!!!

totally worth it. trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    totally worth it. trust me.
    Which one do you have?

I might get this one (see image)
    It has a hard case in the back there that a)holds the keyboard for traveling and b) turns into a nice stand to lean your device against when u type.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just bought my Nexus 7!-uploadfromtaptalk1352524804728.jpg  

Those are really nice covers!
    Well, in my case, (pun-intended) I bought the WorldClass White Sleep/Wake Magnet Case. Below are three pictures. By the way, I paid $9; they now charge a dollar more.
    Closed:
    [Spoiler]Just bought my Nexus 7!-uploadfromtaptalk1352525530534.jpg[/spoiler]

Side-lean:
    [Spoiler]Just bought my Nexus 7!-uploadfromtaptalk1352525555579.jpg[/spoiler]

Landscape:
    [Spoiler]Just bought my Nexus 7!-uploadfromtaptalk1352525579432.jpg[/spoiler]

Rooting is truly a personal preference, and since you've done it before, you already know the advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't do it just to install a custom ROM, as JB is quite nice as is. But for purposes of using something like Titanium Backup or just to have more access to the OS and feel like an Android god, maybe it's something you'd want to do. There are lots of utility apps out there that require root access for full functionality. Plus, you can use a USB flash drive with the StickMount app to expand storage (see non-root alternative below). If you play lots of games, you can also use a game pad controller via Bluetooth, using the Sixaxis Controller app, which requires root.

To really customize and get more out of the interface, install an alternate launcher. I really like Nova Launcher Prime, but then again, it's the only alternative I've ever used. Also, test out some alternative keyboards. I like SwiftKey for Tablet, but there are a ton out there. Of course, you might like the stock keyboard just fine.

To fully utilize the camera, get the free app Camera Launcher for Nexus 7.

You'll want a versatile media player like MX Player or BSPlayer. For music, I like n7player and jetAudio Plus, but there are many from which to choose. If you don't root, but want to attach a USB flash drive for media copying or streaming, then I'd recommend the Nexus Media Importer app.

Easy Voice Recorder is a good audio recorder, as is TapeMachine, though only the paid version is worthwhile.

If you have DirecTV at home, I definitely recommend DirecTV Remote+ Pro. It let's you control all the DirecTV receivers around the house from your N7, no matter where you are in the world - great for messing with the family!

For a better calculator, get RealCalc. The free version is very good, and much better than stock.

Need a dictionary? I like WordWeb and Dictionary.com.

GrooVe IP lets you use your Google Voice account to make phone calls with your N7. I tried it using a Bluetooth headset and it worked!

Get a good file manager like Solid Explorer or ES File Explorer. These will also let you connect to your desktop computer within your local network to transfer files.

BubbleUPnP is great if you have a DNLA TV, as it allows you to wirelessly stream video and audio files from your N7 to your TV (or computer with the right software).

For printing using Google Cloud Print, I like the app Cloud Print. EasyPrint is also good, and for printing without Google Cloud Print, try PrinterShare, though it's a bit expensive.

Other utilities I like are Power Toggles, DiskUsage, Battery Widget? Reborn!, AirDroid, AndroSensor, GPS Test, Field Compass, OS Monitor, WiFi Analytics, Speed Test, Screen Test, and BTmono.

Also, download alternative app store apps. I have 1Mobile Market (go to their website to download it), Amazon (also have to download from their site), and SlideME Market. 1Mobile gives you access to apps that Google Play lists as incompatible with the N7, like CNN and USA Today, among many others. They usually work just fine and really aren't incompatible.

I'll let you figure out news, sports, technology news, weather, shopping, entertainment, language, health, reference, unit conversion, travel, financial, food, internet radio & scanner, earth & sky, creativity & office suite, calendar & task, cloud storage, social networking, and game apps on your own! Otherwise, I'll never finish this damn post!

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Thanked by 2:

About rooting, it might be worth it as you get to use great apps like Titanium Backup and you can over clock your device. I didn't root but now I want to, I can't as I don't want to lose data/game saves.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by JustinMueller8810 View Post
    Which one do you have?

I might get this one (see image)
    It has a hard case in the back there that a)holds the keyboard for traveling and b) turns into a nice stand to lean your device against when u type.

What brand is it and where did you get it... just bought my nexus 7 and am now looking for a case

Quote Originally Posted by AidenSurvival View Post
    Alongside the bluetooth keyboard, this thing kicks major ***! I love it.

Since I'm a newbie to the Nexus devices, what all do I need to know?

Should I root it? (Rooted devices like the Evo 3D and Kyocera Hydo, so rooting isn't new to me.)

What apps would you recommend for a tablet?

This is my first tablet.

Root it now rather than later if you're not sure. Prevents having to "start over" on setting up, apps etc. etc. 1st thing I do with all my Androids is unlock and root. I just got my second N7 last Wednesday, it's sitting unlocked and rooted now (stock recovery) waiting for 11-13 to see if the 4.2 update comes along. Will wait a couple of days to get that, then add my custom recovery and restore my 16GB N7 Titanium backup (apps and app data only) to the new 32GB N7. From there will be waiting for kernel devs to update so I can get the same great performance on my 32 as I get with my 16. The, the 32 becomes workhorse and the 16 will be used for testing and playing around. Although I didn't get the 3G Nexus 7, I am going to get a micro-USB 3G dongle, probably 2, and use the Both N7's on 3g. Seriously considering getting rid of my VZ totally and using t-mo for 3G and transferring my cell phone number over to Skype. Then would use BT headset with Skype (already works great when on wifi) as my phone.

The experiment goes on..
    Maxwell was the 1st "Smart" phone user......
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jelly Bean

Thanks for the app suggestion guys! As for rooting, I'll give it time. I don't see the need in rooting the N7 right at this moment.

I mainly bought it because it's perfect for web browsing and writing. (Only if I use the Bluetooth keyboard and Kingsoft Office.)

There is a chance I will root it in the future...

:-)

I think the biggest reason to root for me would to be able to attach an external thumb drive to store more movies and music and such. Stock is quite nice. But there is a $3 app that allows it without rooting so ya don't loose any saved games or anything.

For me, no news app is better or more attractive on a seven inch tablet than News 360.