Really weird Problems Nexus 7 32gb!!!

flesshy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey everybody!I?ve been having a few problems with my nexus 7 so far. I?ve already exchanged my first 32gb nexus 7 for this one a few day?s ago. But the same problem persists!! It has to do with the charger and the tablet freezing! I?ve been looking all over the internet to see if anyone else has the same problems and so far I have only found this video on youtube where he explains it better than I can!
Nexus 7 - Boots when plugged in, freezes when unplugged, wouldn't charge. - YouTube

My nexus 7 32gb came with 4.1.2 pre-installed. My first device had the exact same issues, and now I really don?t even know if I should go exchange it again or not. Anyone of you had this problem thus far? I exchanged it on Nov 1st so I still have until the15th-16th to exchange again. Would really apreciate your opinion?s!Thanks!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
If you have the same problem happening with two tablets ... I dunno. Return it and buy another at another store (so perhaps from a different batch of stock), or ... wait 2 weeks and see if any one posts that they have the problem resolved.

Certainly, what that guy is showing is a hardware fault, not software.

BTW, ensure you're using the OEM charger and cord, charger plugged right into the wall, no power strips, or timers, or stuff like that.

flesshy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If you have the same problem happening with two tablets ... I dunno. Return it and buy another at another store (so perhaps from a different batch of stock), or ... wait 2 weeks and see if any one posts that they have the problem resolved.

Certainly, what that guy is showing is a hardware fault, not software.

BTW, ensure you're using the OEM charger and cord, charger plugged right into the wall, no power strips, or timers, or stuff like that.

I have always been using the OEM charger and chord, no tricks...You say it?s a hardware fault, but from what I understood it only started happening to him after the 4.1.2 update?( I might have misunderstood). So it?s not normal for it to turn on when plugging it in the charger either?Everything else works fine...just this issue which really bothers me!

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Another "just joined", 1st poster with a Nexus problem, already on the second with same problem that I haven't seen or heard of on this and 4 other different Android forums.

But at least we got video.

Will hold my tongue for awhile. But if they get (x number) with the same problem, or don't even return to the thread, then perhaps we can get this deleted.

Without knowing what apps are in use, whether rooted, custom ROM or kernel we can't really tell if this is hardware related. There are things in the kernel that could be set to cause freezing when not charging. Under volting the N7 too much using something like system tuner could cause some havoc, and could be made to happen only when on battery.

Let's wait and see on this to determine what's reality here.

flesshy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm. Another "just joined", 1st poster with a Nexus problem, already on the second with same problem that I haven't seen or heard of on this and 4 other different Android forums.

But at least we got video.

Will hold my tongue for awhile. But if they get (x number) with the same problem, or don't even return to the thread, then perhaps we can get this deleted.

Without knowing what apps are in use, whether rooted, custom ROM or kernel we can't really tell if this is hardware related. There are things in the kernel that could be set to cause freezing when not charging. Under volting the N7 too much using something like system tuner could cause some havoc, and could be made to happen only when on battery.

Let's wait and see on this to determine what's reality here.

No special apps in use, I have done a factory reset and the problem persisted. Not rooted,no custom rom, just plain old factory setting?s...
Oh, and love the sarcasm...yes, it was my first post, i?m guessing with your wits you found a way to start by 2, and yes, I realize you love your n7 and it?s absolutely perfect...but I just wanna know if this is normal behavior...and really, as in the video,why does one function one way and the other another way? It would be great to be enlightened

Last edited:

Eaton Scrapple

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine does this all the time. Although the usual scenario is...I am using a USB wireless mouse. If I turn the unit off and remove the mouse, and then plug in the charger (that is, a device change) POOF! It reboots. My solution is to leave the thing at the home screen when plugging in the charger or switching from mouse to charger or back. Annoying, but sometimes it's nice to have the thing restart because only then does it go out and look for new versions of things! Sometimes I force it just to look for any updates I might have missed.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
When you did the factory reset, did you test it before installing your apps? Some apps with unusual permissions (e.g. ability to turn your device on) can do funky things to your device. My screen dimmer app makes it so that I can't sideload programs when it's on--didn't find that out until much later.

Hmmm. Another "just joined", 1st poster with a Nexus problem, already on the second with same problem that I haven't seen or heard of on this and 4 other different Android forums. But at least we got video.

might be because people don't feel compelled to join forums unless they're looking for feedback and advice? new users are probably just new nexus owners who didn't know androidcentral existed. I wouldn't group this with the "my screen ripples when I punch it, total garbage!" threads lol

flesshy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
When you did the factory reset, did you test it before installing your apps? Some apps with unusual permissions (e.g. ability to turn your device on) can do funky things to your device. My screen dimmer app makes it so that I can't sideload programs when it's on--didn't find that out until much later.

I tried it right after doing the factory reset...all I did was configure my wifi and e-mail on the initial setup. I find it really weird that it?s the second device that act?s the same way. The first I didn?t even do a factory reset and try again, I just went to the store and exchanged it because I left it charging over night and when I woke up the next day it would?nt boot normally, only reseting. That?s exactly what?s happening here again. The tablet is great, and there are some work arounds so that this doesn?t happen. put it charging while it?s on then turn it off, then be sure to turn it on again while still plugged into the charger, otherwise it freezes and only a reboot or cold boot will do the trick. I have a transformer tf300 and never experienced any of these problems...

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have always been using the OEM charger and cord, no tricks...You say it?s a hardware fault, but from what I understood it only started happening to him after the 4.1.2 update?( I might have misunderstood). So it?s not normal for it to turn on when plugging it in the charger either?Everything else works fine...just this issue which really bothers me!
Correct, I have an 8GB and an 16GB (both upped from 4.1.1. to 4.1.2) that I've been charging up this weekend,[1] powered off, and they didn't reboot just on having the microUSB cable inserted. That's why I say it's a hardware issue, the OS hasn't even loaded when this is occurring.

These 32gb models shouldn't be different, but they're "new" to the Nexus7 line. I also recall reading that they've made a minor update to the hardware (power chip or something) that required 4.1.2. If the tablet shipped with 4.1.2 on it, it probably has that new configuration. -- Y'know, maybe this is normal for the new hardware refresh. Could be. Wonder if the AC wunderkinder know anything about this....

[1] The 8GB had completely run down to 0; it was powered on by TSA without my knowing and it ran down all week in the box. (It's an Xmas present for my daughter.)

flesshy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I?ve exchanged my nexus. This time, no problem whatsoever...everything works perfect(regarding issues I had before). Now I?m letting it charge up. The last two that I had brought came with 4.1.2 stock. This new one that I got today comes with 4.1.1 and requests to update OTA. That I have?nt done yet, and not sure I?m going to for the time being...Rotating home screen isn?t really an issu for me. At least I know it?s not hardware this time cause everything that was wrong before is excellent now. Afraid by updating it will start with same issues...and maybe tommorow we?ll by given 4.2, in that case i?ll have to think about update...

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I would wait on the update for a week (I know, 4.2 will be calling, but give it a little "burn in" period before the update). I don't know if you'd need to factory reset after the update, but it wouldn't hurt.

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Now that I think about it this may have happened to me last week when applying my screen protector. Had to leave it off for 24 hours. Powered off and plugged it up. About an hour later, I heard a notification come through. Once I powered off again, it stayed off. Weird...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine how a screen protector would effect this.

But ... in a seemingly unrelated problem, I think I've determined that my Amaze turns off or locks up if I rub the screen against my shirt (in sleep mode, screen off). Doesn't happen with just a microfiber sunglass cleaning cloth in my hand. I thought it was a hardware fault. Maybe it's a glitch caused by contact with the entire screen. (edit) Perhaps something to do with the fabric and body heat....

Last edited:

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing to do with the screen protector. Just one of the few times I actually turned the device off so I noticed that it turned back on by itself.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Chuck Lantz

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Very carefully dipping my tippy toes into the fray here. Actually, I love lively and sometimes snarky forums (forii?). They tend to keep the mind alive.

Anyway, I have a new Nexus 7, 32g. My problem was with charging. It would go to 6% and stay there. Long story short: USE THE SUPPLIED CHARGER AND THE SUPPLIED USB CORD! I was using the factory charger, but with another USB charging cord from another device. Even though they looked identical, and the USB cord worked on everything else, it would not charge my Nexus 7, even though the screen charging icon was showing that it was charging. So, as the instructions in the manual clearly explain to dummies like me, use the stock charger and the stock cord.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Very carefully dipping my tippy toes into the fray here. Actually, I love lively and sometimes snarky forums (forii?). They tend to keep the mind alive.

Anyway, I have a new Nexus 7, 32g. My problem was with charging. It would go to 6% and stay there. Long story short: USE THE SUPPLIED CHARGER AND THE SUPPLIED USB CORD! I was using the factory charger, but with another USB charging cord from another device. Even though they looked identical, and the USB cord worked on everything else, it would not charge my Nexus 7, even though the screen charging icon was showing that it was charging. So, as the instructions in the manual clearly explain to dummies like me, use the stock charger and the stock cord.

... My N7 16 won't charge if I use a generic charger I bought for my phone but charges fine with the OEM one.
Fora. :) ... I've charged my N7 just fine on third party chargers and with AmazonBasics and third party cables. Not quite as fast, but definitely charging. You can verify this with Battery Monitor Widget.

Make sure the "generic" or "phone" charger you are using is a 10W 2A ((2000mA) charger. A 5V 1A charger will work, but much slower. My N7 seems to charge at about 1800mA from the ASUS charger and cord.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody!I?ve been having a few problems with my nexus 7 so far. I?ve already exchanged my first 32gb nexus 7 for this one a few day?s ago. But the same problem persists!! It has to do with the charger and the tablet freezing! I?ve been looking all over the internet to see if anyone else has the same problems and so far I have only found this video on youtube where he explains it better than I can!
Nexus 7 - Boots when plugged in, freezes when unplugged, wouldn't charge. - YouTube

My nexus 7 32gb came with 4.1.2 pre-installed. My first device had the exact same issues, and now I really don?t even know if I should go exchange it again or not. Anyone of you had this problem thus far? I exchanged it on Nov 1st so I still have until the15th-16th to exchange again. Would really apreciate your opinion?s!Thanks!

I've had problems with my N7 16 gig. After less than 6 months it no longer charges and will continue to cycle on and off when I plug it in.

Just personally, I think these Asus tablets are pieces of garbage. Overall I was happy with the peformance while it worked, I appreciated the size of the device as well. But, Google has horrible customer service and has ridiculous hoops to jump through in order to exchange the device.

If I was in your position and still within the return period, I'd return the device for a full refund and then switch to the Galaxy 10 and see if it performs any better than these Asus tablets.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood