N7 owner; should I get a larger tablet too?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had the N7 for a couple months now, and I use it pretty much every day. But especially with these new fall tablets (which are driving down costs of perfectly fine, earlier tabs) I'm tempted to buy a larger 10" tab. I'm just debating whether or not I reaally need it, or if it would probably sit on a shelf most of the time.

To those who own 10" tabs and the N7--how do you use each? If you could have the money back, would you just keep one? Do you feel you need both?

(long-winded details below: )
My note-taking experience has gone to hell thanks to Evernote's newest updates--they removed the manual save (equivalent of ctrl +s, which I press every 5 minutes on Word lol) and it got a billion times laggier/glitchier/crash-prone. It always freezes, loses all my formatting, and loses notes because of the auto-save. I can't tell if 4.1.2 had anything to do with this, but my device does seem... slower in general. My microUSB to USB adapter for my USB keyboard case is janky and causes my N7 to freeze lately (which it didn't before 4.1.2). This is another reason I was looking into a larger tab--a richer note-taking experience. Though I'm fine with a tiny screen, I figure a larger screen would be better. Plus, Samsung and ASUS have their own productivity apps.

My main concern with buying a larger tab would be redundancy--the same apps, same experience, same purposes--except a larger device. Would I really need a 7" AND a 10" tab? I was briefly looking into running Ubuntu on a tablet, but realized it probably wouldn't do much for me either. And a full Windows 7/8 tablet is more than the price of a great laptop. BUT, the idea of expandable microSD memory, a rear cam (yes, I would use it for apps), larger screen, etc are all very appealing.

I've never had a larger tab, so I don't know how I would use it. For all I know, I'd use it for totally different reasons and be happy with both. But I might not. Maybe all I need is a stable note-taking/word-processing app and a bluetooth keyboard? Speaking of--is it at all possible to downgrade back to a previous version of an app? Like I said, the new Evernote is simply unusable for me.

Last edited:

hawonjung

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I don't see the reason to have both 7 and 10 tablet. It is much better to have a laptop and a 7. I never wanted 10 inches since I got nexus 7. Previously I owned ipad, ipad 2,ipad 3 (now my girlfriend has), and HP TouchPad.

Sent from my Nexus 7

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
If you are looking to use the tablet as a media device for the most part, and jotting down some notes from time to time, I would say a 10" tablet would be redundant.

If you are looking for something as a laptop replacement device, I would say one of the bigger tablets fit the bill.

The MSFT Surface Tablets with Win8 Pro coming out in a couple months are what I'm waiting for. Until then, I'm quite happy with my N7.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the transformer pad tf300T and i really liked it, however, it was not very portable. if you are using your N7 with a keyboard though, i take it you aren't carrying it around much. so it actually might be a good option. however, i wouldn't have both on my at the same time.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the original 10.1" Motorola Xoom, the Nexus 7, and I just bought a Microsoft 10.6" Surface RT. The Surface RT is a really nice device but you can't beat the form factor of the Nexus 7. But it is also nice to have a larger screen; especially if you have big hands and poor eyesight. The Surface has some advantages with the keyboard cover, kickstand, full size USB port, HDMI output, and Microsoft Office running on the desktop. The surface will drive an external HDTV at 1920x1080 which works great with the Netflix app. The bottom line is that a tablet is not something most people need. A laptop makes much more sense as an all around device. I probably will not be using my Xoom much anymore; which is sad since it was my first tablet and it still gets the latest Android updates. My Nexus 7 is always the device I use at the end of the day when I am in bed; check mail, read news feeds, read books, and then fall asleep. I use the surface when I am sitting on the couch or when I want to edit a word document on the go or when I want to connect to an HDTV to show off pictures or video.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the original 10.1" Motorola Xoom, the Nexus 7, and I just bought a Microsoft 10.6" Surface RT. The Surface RT is a really nice device but you can't beat the form factor of the Nexus 7. But it is also nice to have a larger screen; especially if you have big hands and poor eyesight. The Surface has some advantages with the keyboard cover, kickstand, full size USB port, HDMI output, and Microsoft Office running on the desktop. The surface will drive an external HDTV at 1920x1080 which works great with the Netflix app. The bottom line is that a tablet is not something most people need. A laptop makes much more sense as an all around device. I probably will not be using my Xoom much anymore; which is sad since it was my first tablet and it still gets the latest Android updates. My Nexus 7 is always the device I use at the end of the day when I am in bed; check mail, read news feeds, read books, and then fall asleep. I use the surface when I am sitting on the couch or when I want to edit a word document on the go or when I want to connect to an HDTV to show off pictures or video.

How is the app store for the Surface?

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
How is the app store for the Surface?
The Windows App Store is just getting started but I have no doubt that it will grow rapidly over the next six months; currently 7362 apps but missing some big ones like Facebook and Twitter. Netflix and Hulu are there and they work great along with major news papers and TV networks. The Google search app just showed up today and runs great! As a new device you sort of need to look at the Surface as a Beta product but a very polished and slick one at that. It is interesting to compare and contrast The Google vs. The Apple vs. The Microsoft way of getting users to stay in each of their domains.

Last edited:

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a 10.1" gTablet before getting the Nexus 7. One of the things I found with the 10" tablet was that it really wasn't that portable. It weighed a lot more than the N7 (although newer 10" tablets probably don't weigh as much), and it felt like needed to make sure I had space to set it up and use it. About the only thing I miss since getting the N7 (and getting rid of the gTab) is HDMI out. But, as far as portability, usability, and functionality, I don't think I would get another 10" device - the N7 does pretty much everything in a good-sized package.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I use the 10" tablet for anymore is watching netflix while running on the treadmill.

I will be interested to see if the jimudo-resolution of the N10 will allow it to offer more/new functionality compared to the N7, but personally I may just wait a bit to see the results first before jumping in and getting an N10.

-Suntan

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The Windows App Store is just getting started but I have no doubt that it will grow rapidly over the next six months; currently 7362 apps but missing some big ones like Facebook and Twitter. Netflix and Hulu are there and they work great along with major news papers and TV networks. The Google search app just showed up today and runs great! As a new device you sort of need to look at the Surface as a Beta product but a very polished and slick one at that. It is interesting to compare and contrast The Google vs. The Apple vs. The Microsoft way of getting users to stay in each of their domains.

Thanks. Are you able to load/run iTunes on the surface? Just curious, cause that along with running Google services would make this platform rather compelling for a lot of folks, I would think. I'm sure FB and Twitter apps will be there for the Surface sooner than later, but you can still hit up the actual websites at least, so not really a big deal. I'm pretty psyched we have all these choices, the mobile tech game is heating up even more now with MSFT back from the sidelines.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to load/run iTunes on the surface?
The key thing about the surface RT is that it runs on an ARM processor and is not Intel x86 compatible. The nice thing about this is that it sleeps just like a phone with instant standby and resume and excellent battery life. But Microsoft's plan is that it will not allow any desktop apps to be installed on RT, even if compiled for ARM. So even though the desktop looks like a regular Windows desktop with MS Office, control panel, etc. you cannot install programs such as iTunes. I am pretty sure the surface pro will be different since it will be running an Intel processor and therefore a totally different kind of beast.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It all depends on your usage. I have a Transformer Prime which I essentially use as a laptop replacement when I go on business trips. Specifically, I use it as my personal laptop rather than use the business laptop to do personal stuff. With the dock it works great for that. I can also hook it up to the TV's in the rooms with the HDMI port and watch movies, etc. The N7 I primarily use at home or for personal trips. My main use for it is for reading books and media consumption. It is much easier to handle than the Prime while at home. :)

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there would be a version of iTunes for the RT Surface, similar to what you get on iOS devices. I am actually looking forward to seeing the Surface Pro, should make things very interesting.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this. The idea about a 10" tablet being seen as equal to a laptop is not the case.

One of the transformers, with their 12 + hours of batt life, no exhaust ports needing to be kept clear, and the ability to pop off the display, etc. makes for something that is *much* nicer than a regular laptop when on extended travel compared to a laptop.

Around home though, the 7" format does lend itself nicely to being used more.

-Suntan

2waterfowl

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Just keep in mind that when you read in bed and start to fall asleep, that 10" tablet is gonna hurt a hell of a lot more when you drop it on your face. :'(

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an ipad 3, the nexus 7 and the new ipad mini. They all can be used in different ways. But i think the ipad 3 is becoming the redundant one. Of the mini and the nexus, the little larger screen on the mini does give much more real estate when on line. But the nexus is far more portable.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the transformers, with their 12 + hours of batt life, no exhaust ports needing to be kept clear, and the ability to pop off the display, etc. makes for something that is *much* nicer than a regular laptop when on extended travel compared to a laptop.

I was looking into the transformers, especially bc of their long battery life. That, and the expandable memory/rear cam/etc. Though, I've read that Polaris Office isn't that much better than the stuff in the Play store. Word processing apps look a little cramped on a 7" device, although Evernote does a good job of staying minimalist.
- -
I gotta say, one of the things I miss most about a 'laptop experience' is keyboard functionality in apps. I'm kind of anal about how I organize my notes--lots of bullet points, formatting, etc--but not a single word processor or note-taking app I've tried accepts the following key combinations: ctrl + z/i/u/b/s. Ctrl + z/a are by far the most important to me--I'm the type to, by habit, press ctrl +s in Word every five minutes; and in any app where you're taking notes, you should be able to use ctrl + z!

Evernote is the only one that has, at the very least, ctrl + a/v/x. But since it constantly crashes and they stupidly removed the manual save, I've lost paragraphs of notes; plus, all my formatting gets erased every time I open something (I use like 5 tiers of bullet points). The lack of customization or keyboard functionality is why no app could ever come close to the real MS Office for me. I mean, sooo many people (e.g. students) use external keyboards, it's a shame most productivity apps don't bother making small tweaks.

My only hope is that app developers continue to refine word processing apps. Maybe I'll give Google Docs a shot.. Since I favor portability over screen size, I think I'll hold off on a 10" tab for now. Once better apps come out, maybe I'l get a 10" tab to essentially replace my laptop.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Had a 10.1 tab. Bought the n7. The 10.1 began to collect dust, so I sold it. I just didn't use it anymore.

I bought the 32gb. I use evernote all the time as a teacher and grad student (with bt keyboard). I have no lag with the update and no stability problems. I'm stock with Nova launcher. So I'm not sure why evernote is causing you problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37